Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have one of these? How does it lock a "Thread On" Gas cap? I'm thinking it spins freely when locked (not allowing it to un-thread from the tank), but when un-locked the turning portion of the cap engages with the threaded part, allowing it to be unscrewed. I'm just guessing on it's operation, and would like to know from someone who has one.

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had the Ski-doo locking gas cap on all my sleds since 2012. The best locking cap for a sled I have ever used. You are correct on how it works. I put the key onto my tether cord so it is there @ gas fill time. I always carry a spar tether cord in my suit with the spar key on it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't see the value here, spend (I'm guessing) $40 to protect $30 of gas. To risk arrest (or a beating from an angry owner) for $30 of gas doesn't make sense either. A lost key would be pretty frustrating when your low on gas.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see the value here, spend (I'm guessing) $40 to protect $30 of gas. To risk arrest (or a beating from an angry owner) for $30 of gas doesn't make sense either. A lost key would be pretty frustrating when your low on gas.
Nope not that. Don't want to have the cap stolen, or some Jerk put something in the gas tank. That would be worst than the frustration you state above. With all the incidents of sled parts being stolen while your inside enjoying a meal, ( yes even gas caps) at least the gas cap would be secured. I wouldn't want to have to drive 30 mile home without one. See the forum

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1242193-ski-doo-thiefs-need-to-be/

·
Registered
245 Posts
i would want it more to keep a would be saboteur out! people put barbed wire across trails whats to keep them from putting water in your tank and toasting your engine? that is the reason equipment left on a job site has locked tanks.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
i would want it more to keep a would be saboteur out! people put barbed wire across trails whats to keep them from putting water in your tank and toasting your engine? that is the reason equipment left on a job site has locked tanks.
Water that's the least how about sugar? Fuel cap.jpg

One of these would be great on a trip especially if someone liked your gas cap more than you did.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Water that's the least how about sugar?
attachicon.gif
Fuel cap.jpg

One of these would be great on a trip especially if someone liked your gas cap more than you did.
I only wonder if the keys are cut in 100's or 1,000 of different profile. Not like those K127 Bauer Trailer keys, that seem to fit everybody's.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I have had fuel stolen out of my tank before. Filled up and stopped for dinner about 10 miles later. Went out after dinner, rode another ten miles. Then walked another mile and the persons house I stopped at was nice enough to not only give me some gas but give me a ride back to my sled.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Luckily, I sled from my house. We have zero crime here, so I have no need for one.

If I were exposed to that kinda crapolla, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Why do people steal fuel caps?

It's not like they fall off easily. So why is there a demand for them?

Did one person forget theirs at a gas stop once, and now there is a rolling gas cap theft issue, with each person in line taking a cap, as he steals a cap, then the next guy does the same, and so on . . .

I don't get it!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Looks just like the locking Can-AM fuel cap. Will have to see if it fits my sled.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Why do people steal fuel caps?

It's not like they fall off easily. So why is there a demand for them?

Did one person forget theirs at a gas stop once, and now there is a rolling gas cap theft issue, with each person in line taking a cap, as he steals a cap, then the next guy does the same, and so on . . .

I don't get it!
Because some people are just jerks. They see a brand new sled with a brand new pretty gas cap with the pretty little picture of the Gas pump on it, and take advantage of an opportunity to steal it. They will also take you windshield, seat, side panels, spare belt or whatever, if it looks like something they need. Go to the thread

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1242193-ski-doo-thiefs-need-to-be/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts