Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking to purchase new gear this year after being away from the sport for a while. Previously I had the Klim Keweenaw as well as the Motorfist Redline (I think was the model). I am on the fence between the Skidoo Absolute 0 and the Klim Kompound jacket. I am leaning towards the Klim Kompound as it looks a little less sled specific and could serve multiple roles. I like the standalone removable liner. I feel the Kompound would offer more versatility. But I am concerned that versatility would come at the expense of warmth.

I am confident that the Absolute 0 would be an excellent choice if pure warmth and protection was the main concern. I have read several comments where people state it can be 'too' warm.

Looking for more opinions on the Kompound though, especially compared to the Absolute 0 and the Klim Keweenaw. They are close enough in price, that I do not consider that a determining factor. Sympatex vs. GoreTex. Everyone is going to have their opinions on breathability. Honestly for the 90% trail riding we do across Ontario and Quebec that is not as much of a concern.

My comparison to the Keweenaw is based on previous experience and knowing that at one time the Keweenaw was Klim's flagship insulated piece. Maybe that is still the case? So you knew that was the warmest jacket you could purchase from Klim, and if it wasn't quite enough warmth you would need to make up the remainder with layering (which I do anyways). My concern with the Keweenaw is that it has a more traditional old school look and style to it. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it looks very purpose specific.

Looking forward to some feedback. Would be great to hear from those who may have experience in more than one of the selection.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a Klim Keweenaw coat it was good, a little stiff but warm. I ordered Absolute O bibs and the Xteam coat, it's easier to layer up top and I have been told the complete Absolute O bibs/coat is too warm. I do like being non sled specific but I like the new Ski Doo jackets.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Make sure you try on the kompound, I tried one on when they first came out and found that with the liner it is too bulky, if you're used to wearing a Base , mid ,tekvest, shell system I think you're better off with just a shell type jacket, I find that adjusting the mid layers for the temperatures is much easier than adding a liner in and out of your main jacket.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Some helpful comments so far.

Question with respect to the Absolute 0.

Can someone with experience comment on the removable liner Skidoo describes in the product description. It looks like the liner in blue is removable. Is the jacket looking liner in red removable as well, or is that stitched into the shell itself? Trying to understand what levels of adjustment are available. I do not see any video / live demonstration of the jacket that actually covers this.

EDIT:
Nevermind. I just realized that inner jacket in red is just a Skidoo branded quarter zip pull over they have in there for demonstration.

Purple Jersey Sleeve Grey Collar

·
Registered
628 Posts
I love my Kompound. Very warm for trail blasting but didn't have it out below -25F last year. Great to take out to the mountains and then remove the liner for backcountry riding. Never had an issue with my BRP clothing but I wanted to try Klim. Very satisfied with my choice so far.

·
Premium Member
2022 Expy 600R SE 2021 XRS 850 Rene
3,902 Posts
I have had the Kompound for 2 seasons now and going into my third season>>>>>I have never used the liner at all cause I wear a Tek Vest under the shell>>>>>>It would be a little tight if I had to wear the inner jacket but you can always use the inner jacket for other things also>>>>>If I had to do over I would just but a real good shell and call it a day>>>>Like Snirthead said just buy a shell and layer>>>>So much easier also and easier to move around also>>>>I have rode sled in -10F and not a problem>>>>>Just make sure not to wear any cotton which you are probably know about anyway>>>>>

Reactions: Ski Dog

·
Registered
273 Posts
Qualifications for opinion - 5 years in Canada's NWT and experience with several jackets. BRP Absolute 0 hands down. Comparable to warmth level of Canada Goose Parka. (goose down coat- not the southern type the hockey moms wear ). The only thing I found annoying was the velcro holding the extended collar in the front of your neck - got rid of that and installed two plastic buttons and button holes instead.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My Dad got cold on a trip and claimed his Absolute Zero coat had Absolute Zero warmth lol. This sounds like an isolated incident as a lot of people seem to like it. That's all I think about when I hear Absolute Zero now 😂

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Some great replies here so far, thanks!

Let me ask this. How would something like a Helium 30 with a Patagonia Nano Puff (or equivelant) as a mid layer stack up compared with something like an Absolute 0 or Klim Compound/Keweenaw for that matter?

A shell and a good mid layer seems to run about as much if not more than a 3-in-1 or comparable snowmobile specific jacket.

I understand the advantage of versatility that a shell provides.

My concern is that spending that much and still not being as warm as something like an Absolute 0, Kompound, etc. Hence my interest towards the Klim Kompound initially.

Interested to hear some thoughts and opinions on that.

·
Banshee Builder
2022 backcountryXRS 850
9,114 Posts
i pulled the trigger, this will be my first season with the absolute0 gear. its frigid most days where i ride so im excited to see if it lives up to its description. sorry all i can contribute is a picture at this point. as stated above dont wait if you want one. i bought this the day my dealer was putting out snow gear and i asked to order me matching pants and they said discontinued lol luckily another dealer had them and sent them over for me. good luck on you quest for warmth!
Outerwear Product Jersey Textile Fashion

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Hey All,

Some great replies here so far, thanks!

Let me ask this. How would something like a Helium 30 with a Patagonia Nano Puff (or equivelant) as a mid layer stack up compared with something like an Absolute 0 or Klim Compound/Keweenaw for that matter?

A shell and a good mid layer seems to run about as much if not more than a 3-in-1 or comparable snowmobile specific jacket.

I understand the advantage of versatility that a shell provides.

My concern is that spending that much and still not being as warm as something like an Absolute 0, Kompound, etc. Hence my interest towards the Klim Kompound initially.

Interested to hear some thoughts and opinions on that.
Start with throwing that Patagonia jacket in the trash along with any Keen footwear or Cliff bars you may have as those companies want nothing more than to wipe out all forms of Motorsports in all the areas we Ride...go with Klim 👍

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have an older model Absolute 0 that I received as a gear tester program here on DT when BRP did that. It is THE warmest jacket I have ever used. The jacket system is well thought out. Even without the liner, the jacket is warm. Removable Collar system adds extra wind stop. I've tested it on many long saddlebag trips in Quebec over the years in all kinds of weather. If I had a negative it is possibly too warm & not a lot of venting on average days. I use a different jacket then.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have an older model Absolute 0 that I received as a gear tester program here on DT when BRP did that. It is THE warmest jacket I have ever used. The jacket system is well thought out. Even without the liner, the jacket is warm. Removable Collar system adds extra wind stop. I've tested it on many long saddlebag trips in Quebec over the years in all kinds of weather. If I had a negative it is possibly too warm & not a lot of venting on average days. I use a different jacket then.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Not to side track but that sounds like my BV2S helmet. If it is too cold for my open face I wear the Bv2S. About a mile in I wonder if I should have worn my open face because the BV2S is incredibly warm. No exhaust vents compared to multi exhaust vents in my open face.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Start with throwing that Patagonia jacket in the trash along with any Keen footwear or Cliff bars you may have as those companies want nothing more than to wipe out all forms of Motorsports in all the areas we Ride...go with Klim 👍
Appreciate the reply and your passion!

Not that it really matters, but I simply used the Patagonia as an example, since many people are probably aware of them versus some off brand nobody has heard about it. I have no real preference one way or another aside from a synthetic or fleece mid-layer. I can also say that many other corporations and parent companies environmentally focused do a lot more damage towards this industry in other ways. Heck, lookup the manufacturer of the Skidoo Paclite puffer.

So yes, I fully understand where you are coming from. But a few hundred people boycotting a particular brand because of their stance on the future of snowmobiling unfortunately is not going to make a considerable difference in the grand scheme of things, despite one's value or principals. Again though, I understand where you are coming from! It is a valid point.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I figured I would post an update to say that I had tried the Absolute 0 and did not care for the fit. Found it tight in the shoulders and sat higher on the waist then I prefer. For reference I am 6'3 and 230 lbs. So I went back to the drawing board and narrowed it down to the Klim Kompound, Keweenaw or potentially going complete layering with a Tobe Vivid shell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts