Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade the ski shocks on my 2018 X renegade and am looking for input.
What shocks should I go with?
What will I gain and how much difference?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
The shocks you ultimately go with are whats best for YOU and your opinion of their looks and performance for your needs. Your question can be one sided for awnsers as most people have only tried one, or 2 options. Those people only trying one and that one worked for them they will say is the best option, to the next guy, they sucked....

So, buy according to budget, performance, rider needs and as many do......appearance :)

The stock X fronts are basic TNT type shocks, just black in color. good for groomed trail, some rough terrain. revalved they can work better if the shock tuner has an idea of what works...but still they are not higher end, performance based, adjustable shocks in the end.

nothing like xrs 36 or 40's--exits--fox--elka--ohlins, etc...

raptors?? so so, similar to walkers and even those can be converted for some skidoo setups and are OK when setup right. great adjustment curve on the WE shocks

axis are good, on par with stage 3/4 elka, exits, etc. they are hygear specific-sold last 5+?? years. while that was a mistake on penske / axis company to drop rest of vendors and to put all eggs in one basket they are still good shocks like all the others and hygear can build shocks well

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Getting them valved properly is going to make more difference than 50% larger tube diameter. I don't know enough about shocks to speak to such things as valving technology.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,551 Posts
True groo.... :righton

While I only have an 08 sled.... I (once upon a time) went with what I consider big dollar shocks and had them valved for me and my application........ after a couple seasons on them, sure they were great and could jump houses with them if I chose to...... but realized I wasn't even coming close to what the potential of the shocks were, even when to me I rode sometimes like my pants were on fire...

Went back to a regular plain old doo-X rebuildable set of shocks, had Ian @ Monster set those up for me, and they fit me like a glove...

Correct valving IMO is where it's at..... no sense getting in too deep when just the right setup could work......

Unless you're looking for.......... PAH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts