Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

SKI Scratcher MOD

Tags
scratcher
12K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  SKIDOOCHRIS 
#1 ·
My setup is mounted on a CA PRO Razor SKI and no it cannot be used in reverse.

What I used:

RSI rail scratcher kit, two longer spindle bolts, additional washers, retaining type hook to hold spring up

• Cut the big nut end off the RSI rail mount part you need the sleeve potion that goes in the spring. Drill out the threads in the sleeve so that the spindle bolt slides threw it nicely.
  • NOTE - Don't make the sleeve to short you need it to be wider to allow for a proper tightness on the overall spindle and not bind the spring
  • Heat and bend the spring to the configuration you like.
  • Mount retaining mechanism to hold the spring up when you don't want to use them.

I have had zero issues with this setup both on and off trail. The only complaint I hear is from the guys behind me getting dusted but they are not Doo riders so who cares.. lol I have had numerous people ask about my setup so here you go enjoy.. SledWreck

Font Gesture Slope Parallel Circle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Car Vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Coil spring Gas Suspension

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good but why cut off the big nut end? Couldn't you just drill through the sleeve and big nut and still use the big end as the retainer? Your set up probably cools better than the scratchers on the skid.

#3 ·
Nice! I did something similar with some ski scratchers from Hartman. I bolted them onto the pivot bolt (located longer bolts and modified some bushings).

They are a lot of tension to engage/disengage. I use the small CT exhaust spring tool.

#4 ·
Looks good but why cut off the big nut end? Couldn't you just drill through the sleeve and big nut and still use the big end as the retainer? Your set up probably cools better than the scratchers on the skid.
Tried that but the bolt had to be longer and stuck out further. Wanted it to be tucked in as close as possible.

#5 ·
Nice! I did something similar with some ski scratchers from Hartman. I bolted them onto the pivot bolt (located longer bolts and modified some bushings).

They are a lot of tension to engage/disengage. I use the small CT exhaust spring tool.
I tried about half a dozen different types of springs and all had to much tension then I found the RSI kit which uses a smaller diameter spring works perfect.

#9 ·
I'm not sure why you would need scratchers on a Ski-Doo. I've been in hard snow and ice conditions and never melted slides or warmed up the engine. These aren't Yamahas or ProCross Cats that's for sure!
doos get hot just as easy as any other, depends on conditions, with scratchers slides will last a long time, I haven't changed a set for years, added we slow our speeds down when conditions are hard and icy.

#10 ·
I've burned slides off in a day on the Yamahas and been the only one in the bunch to overheat. Never changed a set of slides yet on any of my Doo1200 gades or overheated including my old turbo. I've been on some rock hard trails where people on other brands are overheating where they never have before. The 1200 seems less prone to melting slides and warm engines than the guys I ride with, we all run studs and ride a fast pace. That's my expireence anyway.

#13 ·
Sorry maybe I missed something here but what is the purpose putting on the skis as opposed to the suspension? I have had a few situations down limited/icy trails where the 1200 overheated....looking for solution.
The reason I put these on the ski's is because I ride 120's and on the shorty's mounting scratchers to the rails is not as effective.

#18 ·
I wanted something for throwing hard pack snow, for the mornings when its frozen and really hard trails...but didn't want to ever worry about them when backing up and stuff. I came up with this 'prototype'. Aside from being ugly, cause I just pieced it together, it worked great. Threw snow all over the place lol

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/sleddingfarmer/media/ski1.jpg.html]
ski1.jpg
[/URL]

I set them up so they'd just barely touch the ground while fully turned on concrete.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/sleddingfarmer/media/ski2.jpg.html]
ski2.jpg
[/URL]

#20 ·
I wanted something for throwing hard pack snow, for the mornings when its frozen and really hard trails...but didn't want to ever worry about them when backing up and stuff. I came up with this 'prototype'. Aside from being ugly, cause I just pieced it together, it worked great. Threw snow all over the place lol

ski1.jpg

I set them up so they'd just barely touch the ground while fully turned on concrete.

ski2.jpg
way back I did almost exactly the same thing except I mounted it on the spindle bolt, think I've tried almost every kind of scratcher out there.

#22 ·
If you look on Hartman's site they claim after 29 yrs. of testing the scratchers mounted on the skis work the best. I have used RSI scratchers mounted on the skis for years and found they work the best for short tracks. I went with the Hartmans because they dont stick out from the edge of your ski like RSI. But they cost twice as much but to keep sled cool and save the hassle of changing hyfax. I ride with a group of 10 riders and when you are the lead rider most of the time on cold hardpack in am, they do an amazing job. The riders behind me complain about all the snow thrown up.

#24 ·
I've burned slides off in a day on the Yamahas and been the only one in the bunch to overheat. Never changed a set of slides yet on any of my Doo1200 gades or overheated including my old turbo. I've been on some rock hard trails where people on other brands are overheating where they never have before. The 1200 seems less prone to melting slides and warm engines than the guys I ride with, we all run studs and ride a fast pace. That's my expireence anyway.
The last sled in the pack never over heats because all the other sleds chew it up ahead of you. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.