Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
RenegadeRider said:
I remember reading alot about this helmet and how it has and can explode and come apart on impact and has cut up some guys pretty bad.
Did I also read that it wasn't SNELL/DOT approved.

On Doo's site in the specs it dosen't say it is and inside the helmet either.
[snapback]281275[/snapback]​
RR that was me who posted about the guy who got cut up real bad wearing this helmet when it broke... I am pretty sure it is NOT snell approved. Also, not allowed in ANY form of racing so that pretty much tells you the thing is unsafe...

I think they are JUNK!!!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
DOT yes, SNELL no.
I like mine, but I'll have to admit that Prorev's talk has made me a bit leery...

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
OK guys, yea I was really taken back after I saw the damage the modular did to a guy but hey to each his own... If they are SNELL approved now this would be a good thing.., maybe they have fixed the probs???

I just find it hard to believe that a helmet that flips up (the shell, not the visor) would really be able to protect your skull in a bad crash...

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
The first page of the poo mod helmet site says SNELL/DOT approved. BUT, I clicked on the more details on the mod helmet and got this off the poo web site:

Modular Helmet

What is It?
The ultimate in comfortable, protective, adjustable helmets for active snowmobilers. It's a full-face helmet whose polycarbonate modular chin bar can be flipped up, exposing the wearer's entire face for fresh air and conversation during trail breaks.

How Protective is It?
With its Aramid shell and polycarbonate chin bar, this DOT-approved helmet offers outstanding protection. These materials are extremely impact-resistant, providing a rider with great protection against impacts. The tough shell is one of three vital elements required of any premium helmet. The other two-which the Ultimate Modular Helmet also provides-are a comfortable, snug-fitting inner liner and a secure chin strap. This helmet offers premium protection.

How Can It Be Adjusted?
For starters, the anti-fog face shield has a ratchet-mount system and can be flipped open or closed quickly and easily with one hand. Inside the shield is a tinted flip-down "sunglass" that blocks out the sun's glare without requiring separate sunglasses. The chin bar can also be flipped up or down with one-touch ease. There's a comfortable new breath deflector which can be adjusted quickly and easily for a proper fit, or removed completely from the helmet. There is also a new direct-air intake mouth vent that can be opened or closed.

Describe the Inner Lining.
It's fantastic and offers what active riders have long requested: It can be removed and washed so it stays fresh and comfortable. The Cool-Max/Savoire liner features air-flow open cell foam for outstanding sweat absorption to help keep a rider's head dry and warm. If the liner gets sweaty during a weekend of riding, simply remove it and wash it before the next outing.

Are Any Optional Shields Available?
Yes, an Ultimate Modular Electric Shield is available. It can be installed easily in place of the standard shield, and it plugs into the snowmobile's electrical system to provide fog- and frost-clearing heat to the shield.

How Does the Ultimate Modular Helmet Look?
It looks great. It features a stylish and aerodynamic design that minimizes wind buffeting and there are great 3-D-look graphics in color combinations of silver with either black, blue, red or yellow. There's also a solid black version and a Special Edition black and gold model that comes with the electric shield and a special carrying case.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
RenegadeRider said:
I remember reading alot about this helmet and how it has and can explode and come apart on impact and has cut up some guys pretty bad.
Did I also read that it wasn't SNELL/DOT approved.

On Doo's site in the specs it dosen't say it is and inside the helmet either.
[snapback]281275[/snapback]​
If it don't have a snell sticker on the back, it is not snell certified...

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
first off if you go to the snell web site they tell you why "modular" helmets are NOT snell approved, in a nut shell they have not yet developed a test... they make no claim that they are less reliable than any other helmet-

now that being said, a moular helmet is an OPEN FACE helmet with a relly good faceshield!, it is NOT A FULL FACE helmet and does not provide the protecton of one!

if you are racing or likely to have a crash, I would NOT use a modular helmet, but with "normal" trail riding, I am more than willing to ride with a less protective helmet becasue i think the ability to ride fog free actually makes it SAFER than any other helmet-

my .02!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I'm just not 100% sure if my Modular can take on a 130Lbs. Whitetail deer!
My old Polaris Wedge style helmet took on a deer at 85 Mph and the deer hoof actually smashed a whole in the helmet and took a chunk of material right out of the helmet. I'm not sure if the modular would have sustained that impact with me 100% intact like the old helmet did.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Guys/Gals,
I emailed Snell and this is the long response:

Thank you for your question regarding modular helmets. We've been
referring
to them as "flip-up" configurations. There is no restriction against
flip-up helmets in the Snell requirements. We have been inviting
manufacturers to submit flip-ups for Snell certification for quite some
time. The M2005 standard which will take effect later this year even
makes
specific allowances for them. If and when a flip-up is submitted, we'll
hold
to all the same requirements we set for standard full face helmets plus
the
helmet must not "flip-up" inadvertantly during impact testing. We like
the
convenience of drinking a cup of coffee without removing a helmet but
we're
not about to give up any protective performance to get it.

To date, no one has submitted a flip-up for certification. It may be
that
there are technical problems that cannot be solved with current
technology
It may be that the current configurations sell so well that there is no
reason for manufacturers to seek Snell for them. Since we haven't
certified
any, we don't get to test them regularly. For this reason, I can't
really
claim to know how well they might do in our testing.

My advice to snowmobilers is to select an appropriate, well fitting and
comfortable Snell certified full face helmet. If you can't find one
that
meets your needs, look at Snell certified open face. If you've got to
have
a flip-up helmet and nothing else will do, then look at DOT qualified
flip-ups from well known and respected manufacturers. You'll have to
take
the manufacturer's word that the helmet really meets DOT but there are
a
number of manufacturers who, I believe, can be trusted for it.

I hear rumors from time to time of Snell capable flip-ups in
development but
I quit holding my breath some time ago. If one comes out, it will
likely be
a motorcycle configuration at first so that a snowmobile configuration
with
an anti-fogging face shield may not come out till some time later.
It's
going to happen someday though and, when it does, we'll make the
biggest
splash we can for it.

Regards

Ed Becker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts