Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
81 - 100 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Don't worry. The bottom will fall out of it, eventually.

Save up and pounce when the opportunity comes.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for new sled prices to fall. Just like the housing market and automobile market, prices have gone up regularly. Those waiting to pounce have missed out on the utopian view that the suckers that overpaid will be sorry. History has yet to show that trend. Sure, if one buys at the absolute peak (those that own the glass ball showing this please share your information) then you will take a hit. Personally, the house I just sold has done me very well, the truck I bought 18 months ago I can sell for more than I paid for it, and while my investment portfolio has dropped in the past few months it is still up 40% compared to two years ago.

The pendulum of and value is still swinging compared to pre-COVID. They only thing we know is if it does settle, it won't stop where it was when it began moving.

·
Registered
2020 Enduro 900NA, 2022 Enduro 900NA, 2016 Adrenaline 800
638 Posts
Hey I just found this article about how high gas prices may jeopardize our sport, and the things snowmobilers and manufacturers can do to save money.

It's from 2009.

For whatever reason, some people just like to complain. They have been complaining about gas prices and snowmobile prices since the first sled was built and the first gallon of gas was sold.

(am I complaining about people complaining again?)

Publication Book Font Paper Paper product

Publication Poster Font Advertising Book

·
Registered
30,661 Posts
Hey I just found this article about how high gas prices may jeopardize our sport, and the things snowmobilers and manufacturers can do to save money.

It's from 2009.

For whatever reason, some people just like to complain. They have been complaining about gas prices and snowmobile prices since the first sled was built and the first gallon of gas was sold.

I fully agree, but it is important to note the transition to the E-TEC and four strokes has already been made in the past decade.

·
Registered
2020 Enduro 900NA, 2022 Enduro 900NA, 2016 Adrenaline 800
638 Posts
Agreed. The extra gas cost I will incur is about $50 per month more than a typical year. If I can save that somewhere else it’s no problem, but if I’m on the edge it could be painful.

·
Registered
22 900r adr
1,472 Posts
Don't worry. The bottom will fall out of it, eventually.

Save up and pounce when the opportunity comes.
I think thats what's coming sooner rather than later. For now its balancing out where resale offsets the new higher cost, but when supply stabilizes, we'll have more supply than demand and we'll be back to where we were 3 years ago. Especially when people go back to regular spending such as winter getaways to the tropics, kids in hockey etc...Regular spending and no helicopter money falling from the sky mixed in with crazy inflation, we're gonna see a shift in the motorsports market.
Most seem ok with the higher prices, but I do think the OEMs need to be prepared for tuff times. OEMs can't cry victim to world events and then report record profits in quarterly reports. Really need to balance it out.
just my 4 cents

Dan

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for new sled prices to fall. Just like the housing market and automobile market, prices have gone up regularly. Those waiting to pounce have missed out on the utopian view that the suckers that overpaid will be sorry. History has yet to show that trend. Sure, if one buys at the absolute peak (those that own the glass ball showing this please share your information) then you will take a hit. Personally, the house I just sold has done me very well, the truck I bought 18 months ago I can sell for more than I paid for it, and while my investment portfolio has dropped in the past few months it is still up 40% compared to two years ago.

The pendulum of and value is still swinging compared to pre-COVID. They only thing we know is if it does settle, it won't stop where it was when it began moving.
Remember just a few years ago. Dealers had loads of inventory. They would do below MSRP just to sell snowchecks.
It will go back to that.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Ironic that the same people are pulling the strings today that were in 2009.

It's from 2009.

View attachment 1999552

View attachment 1999553

·
Registered
30,661 Posts
Ironic that the same people are pulling the strings today that were in 2009.
The US has been mostly self sufficient for oil since around 2016. It has me think back to the oil crisis of 1973 and 1979 which were really bad times. I only vaguely remember the 1979 as it didn't effect us. Our car was a low consumption 4 cylinder and my dad was using his peddle bike to go to work for 6 months of the year.

2000s energy crisis

"The recession caused demand for energy to shrink in late 2008, with oil prices collapsing from the July 2008 high of $147 to a December 2008 low of $32. However, it has been disputed that the laws of supply and demand of oil could have been responsible for an almost 80% drop in the oil price within a 6-month period. Oil prices stabilized by August 2009 and generally remained in a broad trading range between $70 and $120 through November 2014, before returning to 2003 pre-crisis levels by early 2016, as US production increased dramatically. The United States went on to become the largest oil producer by 2018."

US Retail Gasoline Prices from 1993 to 2022

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
The US has been mostly self sufficient for oil since around 2016. It has me think back to the oil crisis of 1973 and 1979 which were really bad times. I only vaguely remember the 1979 as it didn't effect us. Our car was a low consumption 4 cylinder and my dad was using his peddle bike to go to work for 6 months of the year.

2000s energy crisis

"The recession caused demand for energy to shrink in late 2008, with oil prices collapsing from the July 2008 high of $147 to a December 2008 low of $32. However, it has been disputed that the laws of supply and demand of oil could have been responsible for an almost 80% drop in the oil price within a 6-month period. Oil prices stabilized by August 2009 and generally remained in a broad trading range between $70 and $120 through November 2014, before returning to 2003 pre-crisis levels by early 2016, as US production increased dramatically. The United States went on to become the largest oil producer by 2018."

US Retail Gasoline Prices from 1993 to 2022
The US is the largest oil producer...Macro Economics 101 supply/demand curves...The oil companies can sell it higher, so they will get it..Oil is a global product, so unless the demand changes (which is almost cutting your nose off in spite of your face, as people are pushed into E-vehicles because of the price and using other forms of transportation).

·
Registered
30,661 Posts
The US is the largest oil producer...Macro Economics 101 supply/demand curves...The oil companies can sell it higher, so they will get it..Oil is a global product, so unless the demand changes (which is almost cutting your nose off in spite of your face, as people are pushed into E-vehicles because of the price and using other forms of transportation).
The effects of EV push on the oil price is overrated. The adoption is so progressive and slow that it can be foreseen/predicted years ahead for the best case such as all new cars by 2035. I don't believe there is much if any chance of this happening, so this is what I mean by the best case, and that is only cars.

For 2022 I think speculations from the commodities market bubble is what's driving the soaring oil price.

·
Super Moderator
31,778 Posts
The effects of EV push on the oil price is overrated. The adoption is so progressive and slow that it can be foreseen/predicted years ahead for the best case such as all new cars by 2035. I don't believe there is much if any chance of this happening, so this is what I mean by the best case, and that is only cars.

For 2022 I think speculations from the commodities market bubble is what's driving the soaring oil price.
The signals the push to EVs sends, along with a whole bunch of other actions, isn't helping. That's an entirely different discussion for another place but it certainly is effecting the entire sport. Like the entire world, our sport runs on the NATURAL RESOURCE known as fossil fuels.
As a snowmobiler we can adjust our miles ridden to our budget.

Groomers run on diesel, and the only way to cut those costs is to cut services as well, and rough trails suck.

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
The signals the push to EVs sends, along with a whole bunch of other actions, isn't helping. That's an entirely different discussion for another place but it certainly is effecting the entire sport. Like the entire world, our sport runs on the NATURAL RESOURCE known as fossil fuels.
As a snowmobiler we can adjust our miles ridden to our budget.

Groomers run on diesel, and the only way to cut those costs is to cut services as well, and rough trails suck.
With Smart Shox you will be saying what rough trails.

·
Super Moderator
18,654 Posts
Don’t worry. The end is very near and soon they will be back to giving them away. In the end the rush to buy will be greatly overcome by the rush the save due to massive rising costs per household. When it comes down to it, powersports is about the last on many lists of needed purchases. When times are tough, they won’t sell.

81 - 100 of 155 Posts