Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Ski Doo's website today:

For those who haven't pre-ordered, we will be adjusting pricing for MY23 snowmobiles. We know you probably weren’t expecting this, and we apologize for the change. As you are aware, pricing has increased for many products and industries around the world and powersports is no exception. BRP has explored various ways to accommodate the disruptions while maintaining the demand through the way we source materials, transport our parts and vehicles and assemble our units. We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you updated. Please note: These pricing adjustments only affect in-season models purchased on May 4, 2022 and after. Additionally, there will be no pricing impact on the youth MXZ 120/200 models and the entry level models MXZ and Summit Neo/Neo+. There will still remain a temporary commodity surcharge in addition to the adjusted price.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not just inflation here.

Shell oil just posted record profits. Companies are using inflation to raise prices and increase profits even more. Ski Doo is no different.

Consumers doo have some choices. I am buying fewer new sleds and buying used gear and accessories, and trading stuff with friends.

Dooing what I can to continue with the sport I love despite crazy price increases.

·
Registered
2023 MXZ XRS
1,461 Posts

Shell oil just posted record profits. Companies are using inflation to raise prices and increase profits even more. Ski Doo is no different.

Consumers doo have some choices. I am buying fewer new sleds and buying used gear and accessories, and trading stuff with friends.

Dooing what I can to continue with the sport I love despite crazy price increases.
I don’t think Shell’s profits have much to do with inflation. The price of crude oil has more than doubled since last year. They produce the oil, so hence their profit and any other oil producing company profits will be up. It’s been a great year to own stock in any oil company.

As for BRP, I think they are in the same situation with many other companies. The price of sea bound container freight has quadrupled since mid 2021, partially due to oil prices, other due to lack of workforce, and raw materials to make containers. Speaking to a few of our suppliers at work, they are having to air freight things from East Asia to get them into the US as the lead time on container transport is 4-6 months +.
The most recent rounds of lockdowns in China probably don’t help the situation much either. Inflation adds a few % to this as well, but I think BRP had that figured into their numbers for this year. I am assuming all the cost increases stem from more expensive shipping to insure parts are here for a September-November build slot. No point building dealer inventory sleds that show up in march 2023.

·
Registered
2022 Turbo Freeride 165
467 Posts
china's zero covid policy will be impacting supply for who knows how long. they've imposed restrictions in 5 of their major manufacturing hubs, two of which are the world's largest and third largest ports.
from an article: Once "basically normal" operations resume in earnest, demand is likely to increase as companies attempt to clear the backlog of containers. Should the decision to ease COVID-19 restrictions be taken in the coming months, a surge in demand would likely coincide with the peak August-October shipping season, further driving up prices and limiting capacity."
i don't automatically jump to the conclusion that companies are price gouging because they can. the situation is too complex besides supply chain issues are obviously real.
don't know how the war in ukraine impacts things but it can't be helping and i don't think that is ending anytime soon. also, i believe composit tracks are made in russia.
regarding oil prices, look at a sled and take note of just how much plastic is used in it's manufacture.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes, we have choices on stuff we don’t absolutely need. If you are well off, life goes on and you just pay the price. Otherwise you hunker down and don’t buy anything big, or somewhere in the middle and just be a bit more mindful. There are a lot of people in all categories.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
"only affect in-season models purchased on May 4, 2022 and after."

Curious, there will be in season snow machines after all. You mean there were no "sold out" allocations?
Or was it more marketing hype at snow check time?

·
Registered
752 Posts

Curious, there will be in season snow machines after all. You mean there were no "sold out" allocations?
Dealers will be allocated a small number of in stock models. My dealer is getting 35 units for stock in the fall. They did 300 Spring Breaks though so I am sure that a lot of smaller dealers will get 4-5 units for stock.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Our complete allocation was sold out in the Spring to Spring Check customers. All the dealers that I have talked to recently sold out there entire allocation, but I am sure it varies state to state. We always have a small percentage of back outs and will have those available for sale but in our area there certainly will not be much available in the fall.

·
Registered
557 Posts
From Ski Doo's website today:

For those who haven't pre-ordered, we will be adjusting pricing for MY23 snowmobiles. We know you probably weren’t expecting this, and we apologize for the change. As you are aware, pricing has increased for many products and industries around the world and powersports is no exception. BRP has explored various ways to accommodate the disruptions while maintaining the demand through the way we source materials, transport our parts and vehicles and assemble our units. We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you updated. Please note: These pricing adjustments only affect in-season models purchased on May 4, 2022 and after. Additionally, there will be no pricing impact on the youth MXZ 120/200 models and the entry level models MXZ and Summit Neo/Neo+. There will still remain a temporary commodity surcharge in addition to the adjusted price.

That's it! I'm going to buy an Arctic Cat........ :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Gas prices have hit an all time high. I put about $130 in the minivan today, just before a ten cent increase. When you start to put well over $200 in a pickup, plus the cost of fuelling on the trail, things are getting serious. My friend put $270 of diesel in his F250 (extra range tank), a couple of increases ago - safe to say it would be well over $300 today.

All these increases are really going to squeeze the little guy and force people to make some choices. As I said, to many, toy price increases as well as gas prices mean nothing, but to others it is a big deal. I don’t know that it will affect snowmobile sales, since there aren’t many available anyway, but I am sure there are going to be some people getting out of snowmobiling.

I sure wouldn’t want to be traveling across the country in a motorhome or pulling a big fifth wheel.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts