Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so i rescue this skidoo was in a field for 20 years and i got it running ... there is the speedometer cable comming from the meter but it cut ..i got a new one but am looking where is the other end of the cable mount ?? I been looking on the transphert case but i cant find it ...any luck someone could tell me to look ??

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have to wonder why someone would cut a speedo cable. Maybe more to it than just replacing the cable once you get in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Witch drive shaft ?? The shaft where the belt is ?? Or it will be under the sled where is the sproket wheel ?? I cant find the treaded part for the cable i think am missing something somewhere thanks for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Witch drive shaft ?? The shaft where the belt is ?? I cant find the treaded part for the cable i think am missing something somewhere thanks for your help

·
Registered
829 Posts
in the graphic, it shows a hub that goes on the right side of the drive axle (part 12), for a speedo insert there is one with a place for the cable to either attach or thread onto, or go through that part. the hub is on the right side from a sitting position usually, accessible from under the hood - the hub holds the end of the drive axle and bearing. the cable attaches to the end of the drive axle with a little insert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its a 1980 alpine 640 ...
And thank you so mich guys for your help ill be looking this weekend if i can figure something out

·
Registered
463 Posts
Found it!

Not sure what year this Alpine is - But shows Speedo Drive on end of transmission shaft that the brake is on.

Might explain why your cable looks like it was rubbing on something
That picture is an Alpine 2 and in the shop manual it does show the speedo drive in that spot.

·
Registered
829 Posts
looks like it's narrowed down to a couple possible locations. have to admit - if it is on the transmission there - that looks like it would be easier than the ones on the end of the drive shaft.

·
Registered
658 Posts
looks like it's narrowed down to a couple possible locations. have to admit - if it is on the transmission there - that looks like it would be easier than the ones on the end of the drive shaft.
Ok - Found some evidence it may actually be mounted outside the frame

Found these pictures of a "Doghouse" cover where the normal driveshaft outer bearing cover is. Could be to protect the angle drive

Sure looks like it could be easily damaged in the woods sticking out like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ok - Found some evidence it may actually be mounted outside the frame

Found these pictures of a "Doghouse" cover where the normal driveshaft outer bearing cover is. Could be to protect the angle drive

Sure looks like it could be easily damaged in the woods sticking out like that.
Yes,That is exactly what that is for. In my parts book it's call a right angle drive protector.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts