Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the 4 stroke plunge on a 2015 Skandic WT 900 ACE for fuel economy and low end torque. I bought it off Craigslist with 750 miles on it, appears to be very well taken care of. In my first 75 miles on groomed trail I used 6 gallons gas. (topped it off before I left and right when I got back) That is a wretched 12.5 mpg. I was in eco mode pulling an empty sled. Everything appeared to run great, no excessive smoke, gas gauge barely moved for 60 miles then suddenly dropped 3 bars. I've never had a digital gauge before and never pay attention to gas gauges anyway. I figured I would look for a leak first around gasket on the drivers right of tank. Looks dry. Any other ideas? Thanks.

-2015 Skandic WT 900 ACE

-2008 Skandic WT 600 SDI SUV

-2006 Skandic WT 600 SUV

-1999 Tundra II R (x3)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
averaging around 25mph on tight trails, never got out of 1st gear

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
averaging around 25mph on tight trails, never got out of 1st gear
ECO 25mph for 75 miles in 1st...you must have had it jammed tight to the handle....i have no use for any other mode then sport with the 900 :smile_old:

Reactions: J. McNugget

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well I'm sorry but I have no helpful info
On this one. Maybe eco mode had something to do with it. Maybe try standard or sport and get back to us with your findings. My take on the mode switch is itjust allows a certain percentage of full throttle spread across the whole throttle swing. So I doubt it'll make a difference. My 1200 can see those mileage numbers takin it easy on pack trails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will put another 100 miles on in sport and get back with another report. My understanding of the mode switch is it reduces jackrabbit/fuel dump effect, so I can still get up to speed, just takes longer. I scoured the archives and could not find anyone talking about less than 16mpg with this engine, but maybe it's a dirty little secret. I want to see 18-22mpg so I don't have to carry 200lbs of fuel all the time.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I scoured the archives and could not find anyone talking about less than 16mpg with this engine,
With the WT's you won't see more than that on this engine, skinny tracks yes 18-20 mpg is possible, not a WT.

The 75 miles (120kms) on 6 USG (23l) is little on the high side but not that far off the average what this sled burns in it's breaking in stage, it'll get better as time moves on.

Reactions: J. McNugget

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
. My understanding of the mode switch is it reduces jackrabbit/fuel dump effect, so I can still get up to speed, just takes longer..
In standard mode yes, not in ECO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jamiepenny and suv1, I was hoping that wasn't the case. Also figured the engine was pretty well broke in at 750 miles. I like the low end torque and clean/quiet but have tipped over more this week than the last 5 seasons. Totally different ride.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Our SWT always burns 10-15% more than the Expy LE, each with the 900 engine. I would expect your 900 WT to get about 15 mpg, similar to my LE.

My LE gets about the same mileage as my 1994 Polaris 500 Indy, but it is moving 60% more machine/cargo weight, and turning almost twice the track.

It's the nature of the application.

Reactions: suv1

·
Registered
488 Posts
150km on 23L is about 90 miles on 6 USG. That's considered average to good for a 900 SWT in sport mode.

Not that far off, but I would definitely recommend a balls-to-the-wall run in sport mode. That's the only way to run these things anyways...........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts