Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks.

I am new to the forum and need some help. I just picked up a Skandic SWT 900 ACE brand new.

I took it out for the first easy ride and clocked approximately 35km yesterday evening. It was fantastic: nimble, responsive, quiet and just a real town car compared to the Alpine it is replacing. I parked it in an enclosed trailer over night. The temperature dropped to -15C. At 6.30am today, I went to pull it out of the trailer and into a hotshop to start installing our grooming gear. It would turn over but would not start.

Here is where I am at:

-Odometer has reset itself to Zero (Trip A, B, Trip hour, and Odometer)

-Odometer has also changed to Miles from KM

-Panel will flash my DESS symbol twice and will turn the engine over

-The Engine light will flash and beep 4 times

-The Engine will turnover but will not fire.

-The Engine will run on quick start

-Fuel pump will do its hum at start up

Here is what I have done:

-Battery: Checked, Changed, Charged, Replaced and boosted

-Terminals: Cleaned, removed, retightened

-I have also removed all power to the machine for 15 mins and repowered in hopes that something just needed to reset.

-Fuses and Relays: Removed, inspected and tested all fuses. Did a shuffle of the relays

-Added fuel

-Have started and run it very briefly with quick start.

-Used, cleaned, swapped, dried both DESS keys (white and green)

-Called every dealer number I can to find out what information is available

-Made arrangements to have the machine hooked up to a computer on Tuesday, if this doesn't work, she goes home to her original dealership and I am SOL.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Anyone know what the solution might be? I have left the machine in a hotshop over night with the battery disconnected.

I am very thankful that the machine went kaput in a trailer and at our shop rather than in the bush, on an emergency, in the middle of a lake, etc.-But I'll be damned if we can reasonably trust this machine to run when we need it to now. I hope someone can set me straight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Sounds like something came loose, plug for the DESS or the ECM maybe, most likely though there is a glitch in the ECM, to many ECM controlled things happening at once to be anything else, you could check the ground beside the solenoid, make sure it's not loose, i see more than a few new sleds come with this ground not tightened, otherwise me thinks it has to go back to the dealer?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response suv1.

Do you mean the ground for the starter solenoid? The starter does turn the engine just fine, but she just won't fire--i think something is preventing fuel from getting through the injectors. I am assuming it has something to do with the computer.

Has anyone had experience with computer issue with a new machine? Any idea what 'should' be expected of your dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
This ground is beside the solenoid not the ground for the starter, it's the main ground for the electronics, the dealer will hook B.U.D.S up to the computer and petty much know what it is immediately ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This ground is beside the solenoid not the ground for the starter, it's the main ground for the electronics, the dealer will hook B.U.D.S up to the computer and petty much know what it is immediately ?
Thanks suv1. I'll have a look just now. Just to be clear, you're saying: by the starter, find the ground, be sure its secure?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Thanks racer, i thought they had that fixed, sounds to the t like buddies problem here.

Just to be clear, you're saying: by the starter, find the ground, be sure its secure?
No, beside the solenoid right hand side bolted to the chassis under where the fuel pump exits the tank, check out racer's link & inform your dealer or check for this grounding plate first, if it's there the ground on that may be loose as well??

Reactions: racer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks suv1 and racer. I've checked all my grounds and am still having the issue. I think i am at the mercy of the computer. I'll keep you folks posted--but if anyone else has any ideas, please chime in.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Did you check the ground on the risers?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you check the ground on the risers?
I have checked every ground that I could find. I think the fact that the instruments/odo is telling me something that it should not be able to tell me (zero odo reading and switching its units) really points to a hiccup somewhere in the black box that is their tech.

on another note, while going over the whole machine, checking all connects and grounds, unplugging and reconnecting this and that, etc, I came across a few loose bolts. This will probably sound like a dumb question but, is there any reason on a new machine that the bolts holding the radiator mounts should be loose? There is a pair of bolts with nylon lock nuts that have just been snugged on by hand which leaves them to each to travel 1/4-3/8" from side to side. Is this to allow some movement? or is this an assembly error? when you buy a new machine are you supposed to check every nut and bolt for proper assembly?

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess i have not explained it properly. Essentially, the computer reset and changed units from KM to Miles. The odometer has also reset entirely.

Here is a video of what happens when I turn her over:

·
Registered
565 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what the dealer says! I'm glad you weren't in the bush when this happened.

Hopefully it's a simple problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help everyone--and yes kgrant, i'll be very interested in hearing what the dealer says too!

I'll keep you folks posted.

On another note, does anyone know where you can find a utility machine for rent in Ontario?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For those of you interested, we got the machine back in working order. As far as I understand it, the display was faulty. This caused it to erase its memory, revert to miles, and prevented the machine from running--I believe it was not allowing fuel in.

The dealer replaced the display and it seems that all is well now.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
These machines will run without the display/gauge. If anyone comes across something like this again, try unplugging the gauge and if the gauge was the problem it should run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: suv1

·
Registered
104 Posts
These machines will run without the display/gauge. If anyone comes across something like this again, try unplugging the gauge and if the gauge was the problem it should run.

Yup - I can attest to that as I was attempting to fix my non-registering speedometer and unplugged it while at idle. Didn't fix my problem for long...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went to start my expedition 600 etec after in storage all summer (was put away with 4200ish kms on her after the first season) and not a gig when I tried to start it. Charged the battery and started it and it would just continue to beep and flash codes. Forgot what codes. Being under warranty I brought it into the dealer and they changed the computer I believe. Got it back and odometer was reset. I didn't complain that's for sure lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Folks.

Just realized that it had not updated this post after getting this issue resolved.

As far as I know it was in fact a faulty ground that burnt something out. I was provided with the detailed information that I wanted.

As far as the loose bolts rattling around the machine (discovered when trying to diagnose the issue), no one would take responsibility for that.

We just got the "brand new" machine back again after another issue and it is one its way back to the dealership for the 2nd time this season for another issue. I'll open another post about bogging down problem that was maybe caused by a plugged fuel filter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts