Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

just picked up a 2017 skandic WT 900 ace this week, and as soon as i got home and really looked at the sled, i decided to order a pre-filter grille kit.

comming from a yamaha nytro, I am very impressed at how easily this motor maintains its temperature. My old sled would have overheated 10 times by now.

that being said, will this pre-filter kit mess with the temperature. i'm slightly worried they wont breathe and ill be back to the same old overheating issues i had with the yami.

anyone else run one of these kits?

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I had overheating problems with my 1200 with the prefilter, had to remove it. I haven't tried it on another machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had the filter kit on my Skandic 900 ACE and took it off. The 900 runs hot under the hood. The engine wasn't overheating, but clutches were getting hot.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My race partner had it on too and condemned it after the first real test ride. It plugs up in no time. While running in deep powder without it, just keep an eye on the ice situation in/around your fan and carry a spare fan relay. If your fan freezes and can't spin, the relay is usually first to go. That happened to us...no biggie. Fixed in 2 mins.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone try running just one of the filters, im not that concerned with getting snow inside the engine bay, im more concerned with the fan seizing up. might be a good idea to pre-filter the fan intake but leave the other one open.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
My race partner had it on too and condemned it after the first real test ride. It plugs up in no time. While running in deep powder without it, just keep an eye on the ice situation in/around your fan and carry a spare fan relay. If your fan freezes and can't spin, the relay is usually first to go. That happened to us...no biggie. Fixed in 2 mins.
Relay is good to carry a spare, but fuse is usually what goes first in my experience.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When riding My 900 ACE -25 to -35C the engine temp seems to be 68 to 78 degrees C, 3-4 bars, no over heating even when snow covered breaking through the bush... but I brush off every chance I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
Relay is good to carry a spare, but fuse is usually what goes first in my experience.
Yes, the fuse should go first for sure. I can't remember if both went at the same time or not. Its all a blurr!! Point is...carry both! We didn't install the very front low filter as it required cutting and fitting around the 2" hitch assembly...just the top snap in one. It constantly held up snow that would melt, freeze and plug up and then become a PITA to bust out of there. I can't remember actual temps, but I was running cooler than him so we ditched the filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts