Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like to see others pictures of mods they have made to their Skandics and Expeditions. We have had a lot of success up here with people making heavier bumpers, etc. but have yet to see much for the newer Skandics and Expeditions.

·
7,718 Posts
There are lots for the older chassis in the FAQ's, but some of the better fabricators on here *cough* haven't moved up to the XU chassis yet. Go see Mr. Chouinard over your way, he needs an XU chassis Skandic to use as a template for a new generation of bumpers. He is one of the better fabricators over there and always charged a reasonable price for his work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LabradorBoy:

Yeah he put one on my 03 SUV, awesome bumper, even put a 1.25 tube on for me for my winch. No offence to the BRP people but the accessory one I have on my SWT now doesn't hold a candle.... Nice for sliding along small trees and alders. I'll have to go see Pierre to see what he can fabricate. Buddy of mine put the skid plate on his Wide Track last weekend after a stick punctured right by his strut.

PS we spoke with you in Wedge Hills enroute to Kuujjuaq. Looking forward to 2014!

City Auto had a Skandic over there after the 2012 Cainsquest Race that had a nice rear bumper mod, was some talk of BRP adopting it perhaps. I have pics somewhere, Ill post if I find them.

·
7,718 Posts
Thanks LabradorBoy:

Yeah he put one on my 03 SUV, awesome bumper, even put a 1.25 tube on for me for my winch. No offence to the BRP people but the accessory one I have on my SWT now doesn't hold a candle.... Nice for sliding along small trees and alders. I'll have to go see Pierre to see what he can fabricate. Buddy of mine put the skid plate on his Wide Track last weekend after a stick punctured right by his strut.

PS we spoke with you in Wedge Hills enroute to Kuujjuaq. Looking forward to 2014!

City Auto had a Skandic over there after the 2012 Cainsquest Race that had a nice rear bumper mod, was some talk of BRP adopting it perhaps. I have pics somewhere, Ill post if I find them.
Ah, now I know you. Yes, that was a long ways up there no doubt, I understand you had safe passage onwards to Kuuj. How was your trip back to Lab West?

As for Pierre, yes he's something else, but the last time I spoke to him his services were in ridiculous demand and it was hard for him to find much time to make snowmobile bumpers. However if somebody committed to giving him a Skandic S/WT XU in the off-season, you just know he'd come up with a simple and strong solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, now I know you. Yes, that was a long ways up there no doubt, I understand you had safe passage onwards to Kuuj. How was your trip back to Lab West?

As for Pierre, yes he's something else, but the last time I spoke to him his services were in ridiculous demand and it was hard for him to find much time to make snowmobile bumpers. However if somebody committed to giving him a Skandic S/WT XU in the off-season, you just know he'd come up with a simple and strong solution.
Trip to Kuj was tiring but great, don't know if I would want to run the Baleine River in the dark again. Our team lost their suspension again enroute to Schefferville, timed out there. We had a good run back down, bit of freezing rain enroute to Schefferville. By the time we were heading back to town from Schefferville everything had froze solid again so holes were drilled in the back of the skis and bolts put down through as most of us had snapped off our scratchers. Gonna try the cable type ones this year.

Pierre is truly an artist. Does a wicked job.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here's my rear end now that my -07 expo sport V-800 has a 155 x 1.75 track. 8 tooth in/out drivers to gear things down a bit...very smooth take-off. The brp parts are for an 09 tundra, the rest I made/had made or modified... (trading for an 09 tundra LT probably would have been a better move! IMG_1402.JPG

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I was planning on posting this same kind of stuff.. I'll be posting here rather than starting a new thread to illustrate some of the customizing we've done to Yeti II's, Expys, and particularly the XU SWT for our upcoming trip. I have all the pics, just a matter of sorting them out and typing up notes. Coming up in the next week or so:

XU dash defroster

XU custom rear rack

XU front bumper additions

XU rear box

XU dual batteries

XU LED's

XU wiring upgrade - how to make the hot grips and outlet come on at idle

XU wiring upgrade - how to add a self energizing circuit

XU wiring upgrade - how to add a switch to turn off headlights

winch/jumpstart kit for any machine

Yeti II dash defroster

Yeti II cooling mods

Yeti II rear boxes

Yeti II dual batts

V-800 breather upgrade

Also have a few notes/pics on making sleds / sleighs / tobaggons / skimmers. I heard of a seperate forum for sleds but couldn't find it. I'll post them here as well unless I hear otherwise..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planning on posting this same kind of stuff.. I'll be posting here rather than starting a new thread to illustrate some of the customizing we've done to Yeti II's, Expys, and particularly the XU SWT for our upcoming trip. I have all the pics, just a matter of sorting them out and typing up notes. Coming up in the next week or so:

XU dash defroster

XU custom rear rack

XU front bumper additions

XU rear box

XU dual batteries

XU LED's

XU wiring upgrade - how to make the hot grips and outlet come on at idle

XU wiring upgrade - how to add a self energizing circuit

XU wiring upgrade - how to add a switch to turn off headlights

winch/jumpstart kit for any machine

Yeti II dash defroster

Yeti II cooling mods

Yeti II rear boxes

Yeti II dual batts

V-800 breather upgrade

Also have a few notes/pics on making sleds / sleighs / tobaggons / skimmers. I heard of a seperate forum for sleds but couldn't find it. I'll post them here as well unless I hear otherwise..
Yes bring on the notes/pics of sleds/sleighs/boggans/etc All relevant to these type of machines in my books.

·
7,718 Posts
The excellent thread on sleighs/komatiks is in the Tundra forum, search for "cargo sleds".

Labradorian2, you guys are making some of the best that are out there, I have a 30" x 10' steel sled from Chouinard, I have yet to see a better option. I saw an alu version of it for sale on the Lab City Facebook flea market the other day, very slick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like to see others pictures of mods they have made to their Skandics and Expeditions. We have had a lot of success up here with people making heavier bumpers, etc. but have yet to see much for the newer Skandics and Expeditions.
I made my bumper from 1" steel square tubing, 1/8" wall thickness. 1/2" square bar for rear drop downs. Painted with spray-in box liner paint. So far its been totally solid when playing "tree pinball"! IMG_5019.jpg IMG_5022.jpg IMG_5024.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I got the brp box and love it, lots of room for everything i need. I got tools,rope,sling,belt,gas line antifreeze,first aid kit,toilet paper,tarp, and a few more things. Ill tow a sleigh if i need more then this. As far as gun boot goes i bought koplin boot and mount, works great.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Reactions: Fredbussiere

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's my rear end now that my -07 expo sport V-800 has a 155 x 1.75 track. 8 tooth in/out drivers to gear things down a bit...very smooth take-off. The brp parts are for an 09 tundra, the rest I made/had made or modified... (trading for an 09 tundra LT probably would have been a better move!
attachicon.gif
IMG_1402.JPG
Iceman, what kinda box is that you have there??? What are the dimensions along the bottom if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just posted this in the XU storage area. I put a 18x18x18 diamond plate aluminum under body truck box on the back.

I also ordered the passenger seat bottom plastic part so I can make my own rack. (I got the latch also).

I've put a left hand throttle on it. I also have (not shown) two additional switched (off the battery) 12v outlets. One accessible from

the outside on the passenger seat box, and one inside under the seat. Switch is outside so I can turn the plugged in things in on or off.

I mounted a GPS far up in the windshield (mounted to the dash).

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 5.JPG

I want to add a chainsaw mount. Rear facing switched utility work lights, and some other stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the brp box and love it, lots of room for everything i need. I got tools,rope,sling,belt,gas line antifreeze,first aid kit,toilet paper,tarp, and a few more things. Ill tow a sleigh if i need more then this. As far as gun boot goes i bought koplin boot and mount, works great.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg
I did the same thing with the kolpin gunboot only one on each side for shotgun and rifle. The new smaller box that goes on in place of the seat is also excellent. FYI, Two of the smaller, new style cans will go side by side in rack, they are 18l instead of 20l if you can find the 18l ones, they are scarce, easier to get in yellow.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ya wont need your rifle anymore, no more caribou hunt. lol

Reactions: Labradorian2

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Very nice Smokey. Might try that one myself...

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Ok, so I finally got back to the office with some decent internet. Here is my version of rear rack/bumper. In my opinion, the stock rack is junk, specially on the Super Wides. this rack gives you the full platform width, fits a normal action packer, and gives you something stout to grab onto on the back if several guys had to lift the machine up out of something, etc..

Construction is very easy, and could be done in steel as well. I used 1" x 2" x 1/8" aluminum rectangle tube. I actually have AutoCad drawings and PDF's I made up of my plans, if anyone is interested send me a message..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Dual batteries / Jumper cables / Winch harness:

Here are a couple pictures for one of my dual battery systems, 3000# winch, winch and jumper cable harness, and quick connects.

It is worth noting, both for this and future electrical related posts I'm going to make, you should be comfortable and have some basic electrical skills and knowledge to perform these tasks. They are pretty straightforward, but short circuiting a battery or wire could cause all sorts or messes, so these are purely my examples and if you choose to try them, you do so at your own risk.

I had a bag made for the second battery through my local sewing guru, Becker Designs. It is slightly insulated and padded for lugging the battery into the tent each night. Once in the tent, the batt power powers an LED light, ipod, etc, and with it being warm in the morning provides substantially more cranking power.

The connectors are Anderson 50 Amp quick connects, able to withstand brief currents much higher than that. They are available at Polar Wire, as well as other places. I use Polar Wire for all my wiring upgrades, it is a much tougher and more flexible wiring and won't crack or break in the cold. Battery wiring is 6 gauge. Winch and jumper cable harness is the same stuff. Every machine in our fleet has at least one quick connector on it, so any machine can use the winch, and the same cable can plug into two machines to jumpstart one off another (never had to use that feature yet..). I dissasembled and rebuilt the wireless winch control contactor, and assembled it inside a small waterproof Otter box, with enough extra room inside if to keep the remote as well. In case of remote issues, I also wired the non-wireless remote to the outside of the Otter box...

We have several configurations of this, some of our SWT's just have the connector under the seat, and the batt could also fit there. On my own SWT (pictured), I installed two connectors, one leading to the box and spare battery, and seperate one on the opposite side which is avaialble for winching / jumping without having to unplug the box/battery. On the Expy Sport (XP chassis) - the same pigtail is up front near the battery..

IMG_7578 (1024x768).jpg

Here is my rescue kit - Promark offroad 3000# winch is less than $200 on ebay (a carbon copy of Warn 3000#). Remote and contactor "otter box", straps/slings, synthetic rope, and universal winch/jumper cable.

IMG_7679 (1024x768).jpg

Dual battery in a lightly insulated carry bag, plugs in and gets stored away in my rear cargo box.

IMG_7682 (1024x768).jpg

Winch and rescue gear tucked away in my chainsaw bag (on my SWT this fits cross-ways where the 2-up seat mounts). Keep a couple ice screws, biners, and shackles in here as well.

IMG_7675 (1024x768).jpg

Plug in coming from stock battery and going into cargo box for dual battery. Another connection identical on the other side of the machine, normally nothing is connected to it so it's available for jumping and winching.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 427 Posts