Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are total noobies to snowmobiling, our sled is a Ski-Doo Skandic 550Fwhich we bought from the local dealership, who told us that the gas and oil mix should be 40:1, so in other words when we buy gas we get it in a 20Liter jerry can and mix in 1/2 a 1Liter of Two-stroke Oil and shake the jerry can like crazy before filling it into the fuel tank. The question I keep asking and not even the Dealer can tell me is why there's a Two-stroke oil reservoir under the hood that we always have to keep filled, and it uses a different two-stroke oil, so basically we are buying 2 different oils, and spend most of our time riding worrying if that hidden oil tank is still full, we stop every 50Km to check. Also what is the best fuel mix for the motor, it was run-in for us by the dealer and had 505Km on the odometer when it arrived at our house

·
Registered
330 Posts
We are total noobies to snowmobiling, our sled is a Ski-Doo Skandic 550Fwhich we bought from the local dealership, who told us that the gas and oil mix should be 40:1, so in other words when we buy gas we get it in a 20Liter jerry can and mix in 1/2 a 1Liter of Two-stroke Oil and shake the jerry can like crazy before filling it into the fuel tank. The question I keep asking and not even the Dealer can tell me is why there's a Two-stroke oil reservoir under the hood that we always have to keep filled, and it uses a different two-stroke oil, so basically we are buying 2 different oils, and spend most of our time riding worrying if that hidden oil tank is still full, we stop every 50Km to check. Also what is the best fuel mix for the motor, it was run-in for us by the dealer and had 505Km on the odometer when it arrived at our house
Just to get this straight :

- your profile says that you have a 2015 Skandic WT 550F, so your sled is either factory new to you, or nearly new to you (previously enjoyed)?

- being a year or two old, it has oil injection and so it shouldn't really require any oil mixed in the gas

- your "dealer" told you to mix the fuel 40:1 and also keep the injection oil tank filled?

- is your dealer an authorised SkiDoo dealer? ..... who is the dealer?

I don;t know how others work it, but the last two-stroke sled I had was an Arctic Cat 550 Panther with oil injection, and I ran 100:1 fuel in it just in case that ten year old sled developed injection pump trouble. I "think" that if I bought a brand new sled I'd run it exactly how the SkiDoo manual said to, unless the dealer gave me written instructions to do it differently.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
If the dealer can't tell you why there is a two stroke reservoir, I would never go there again. Unless your machine is very old, all that is needed is the oil in the reservoir. NO prefixing. Even if you did pre-mix, there is no reason to use two different oils. Any full synthetic two stroke oil is a good choice. I use BRP, Arctic Cat, Amsoil, and Klotz.

Some machines specify a premix for break-in of a new engine, but that is for the first tank only. Run what's in the reservoir now and you are good to go. The oil tank is sized to hold well over what's needed for a full tank of gas. Refill the oil every time you fill the gas tank and you'll never be low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you indeed have the 2015 550F, then there is no need to mix oil.
Only the first tank is mixed to run in the engine and after the just fill the oil tank inder the hood.
On my 550 i can go 200 kms and have a 1/4 tank of oil left. The low oil light will start to come on then. Just top off when ever you fuel up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
On my 550 i can go 200 kms and have a 1/4 tank of oil left. The low oil light will start to come on then.
My 550 is pretty well the same, 200-225 kms and the light starts to come on.

Plenty of space in the underseat storage to keep an extra liter of oil for just in case. Just seal it up in a couple Ziploc bags in case it leaks a little from bouncing around in there.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I am curious too why the dealer instructed you to mix and oil injected at the same time?

AK i don't think the machine is very old, by the sound of it the dealer is very old :blink_old: ..... "shake the jerry can like crazy".... I'm surprised he didn't tell them to stir it vigorously with a mop handle too!? :laugh_old:

Personally i've always mixed gas for snowmobiles regardless of manufacture 50:1, same for outboard motors even though some brands recommend 100;1 chainsaws 25:1.

I bought a brand new 25 outboard yamaha once, the dealer told me mix 100;1, knowing better i mixed as the dealer told me being warranty would cover any damages, I think it washalfway through the summer the motor seized right solid! :mad_old:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok this has to do with "running in" and from 500km onwards weve just used normal gas. Sorry, if I asked the question wrong

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
So this is a brand new 2015 550F?

I think your "running in" you mean "break in."

500km seems a bit excessive to me. 300km is about normal.

Typically the first tank you run 50:1 and then after that just check the oil reservoir each time you fill up with gas. Normally, you will refill it every other tank full (of gas).

what also puzzles me is running different oils. I'm guessing the difference is normal non-injection oil vs injection oil? Honestly, you can just run injection oil, but since you only need to do it for one tank full, you won't have to worry about that anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We thought we finally got the Ski-Doo sorted out, friends and guys we've met on the trails have all been so helpful, and our fuel problems are all solved (thanks to all who were kind enough to respond)so we went crazy this weekend, packed some munchies and a thermos of hot chocolate, in a backpack and went off trail, we got stuck 3 times in deep snow and semi tipped, the Skandic is a really tippy and heavy machine considering I'm a 5'6" girl and weigh 135lbs my partner in crime is 145, was it great fun? Other than getting my feet and undies wet it was great. Would I do it again? Not the way we did it, we want someone along on another machine to help pull us out. I guess we learned a valuable lesson "Don't go off into the unknown alone"

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
We thought we finally got the Ski-Doo sorted out, friends and guys we've met on the trails have all been so helpful, and our fuel problems are all solved (thanks to all who were kind enough to respond)so we went crazy this weekend, packed some munchies and a thermos of hot chocolate, in a backpack and went off trail, we got stuck 3 times in deep snow and semi tipped, the Skandic is a really tippy and heavy machine considering I'm a 5'6" girl and weigh 135lbs my partner in crime is 145, was it great fun? Other than getting my feet and undies wet it was great. Would I do it again? Not the way we did it, we want someone along on another machine to help pull us out. I guess we learned a valuable lesson "Don't go off into the unknown alone"
It's very difficult to handle a WT in deep snow with 2 on the seat...even for an experienced snowmobiler, sounds like you had fun though! :smile_old:

·
Registered
152 Posts
IVE BEEN WONDERING THE SAME thing , lol, I am a total newbie , I have a brand new 2016 skandic 550f, so if I am correct just check under the hood, make sure there is oil in the container and im good to go??? no mixing oil/gas every time I put gas in??? I run in cold weather, the dealer suggested mineral oil, any idea how long I can ride before adding oil???

·
Registered
504 Posts
I check mine every time I have to add gas. You probably can go 2 or 3 tank fuels without adding. I just like to look at it every time to make sure it's got at least half a tank. And I haven't forgotten to fill it the last time. Also good to make sure everything under the hood looks good.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
If the dealer can't tell you why there is a two stroke reservoir, I would never go there again. Unless your machine is very old, all that is needed is the oil in the reservoir. NO prefixing. Even if you did pre-mix, there is no reason to use two different oils. Any full synthetic two stroke oil is a good choice. I use BRP, Arctic Cat, Amsoil, and Klotz.

Some machines specify a premix for break-in of a new engine, but that is for the first tank only. Run what's in the reservoir now and you are good to go. The oil tank is sized to hold well over what's needed for a full tank of gas. Refill the oil every time you fill the gas tank and you'll never be low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know the post is a little old but there is 2 different oils. Dedicated injection oil is thinner than pre-mix oil so it will flow in colder temps..

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I know the post is a little old but there is 2 different oils. Dedicated injection oil is thinner than pre-mix oil so it will flow in colder temps..
I disagree. Most of the quality oils say right on the front of the bottle for injection and pre-mix. If you're buying the cheap stuff made for outboards and snowmachines, I wouldn't run it in an injection. Of course, I wouldn't run it in a premix either...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I disagree. Most of the quality oils say right on the front of the bottle for injection and pre-mix. If you're buying the cheap stuff made for outboards and snowmachines, I wouldn't run it in an injection. Of course, I wouldn't run it in a premix either...
I have 2 bottles in my garage and 1 says pre-mix only and the other says for injection, plus I looked it up to confirm it (I think it was in Wikipedia). They said injection oil is thinner. Cheap or not there are different ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts