Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of led bulbs for my new 2020 backcountry from Sii and went to install them and one of the ears broke off while attempting to twist it in on one bulb. I contacted him and he was quick to respond with yes that's what happens when you don't line them up properly. I responded with my background as a mechanical engineer and told him he has insulted my ability to install a bulb and it's been several weeks and he has not responded back at all. It took at least twice the pressure to remove the skidoo bulb then I ever put on the tab that broke. He offered to invoice me for another one in his first response. Why would I give him another penny with customer service like he gave me.

Brett

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sorry to hear you had an issue. Hopefully it works out. I have HIDs that I got from Shawn. Had an issue with them and he was outstanding to deal with and sent new ballasts the next day. Personally I think Shawn is a stand up guy. I wish you well!

·
Registered
187 Posts
as I stated I emailed him he assumed I installed it wrong and said I forced it. I will post his actual email when I get home. I was looking At the light from the front as I lined it up and I made sure the correct sized tab was in front of the correct slot prior to looking from the front. Its not rocket science I have installed timing belts on complex interference fit motors and if you screw that up the motor is junk. I can change a bulb.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
as I stated I emailed him he assumed I installed it wrong and said I forced it. I will post his actual email when I get home. I was looking At the light from the front as I lined it up and I made sure the correct sized tab was in front of the correct slot prior to looking from the front. Its not rocket science I have installed timing belts on complex interference fit motors and if you screw that up the motor is junk. I can change a bulb.
Everybody makes mistakes. I design aircraft structures; doesn't mean I do everything perfectly by any means! I would just buy another one. Most places don't accept electrical returns regardless.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Brett,

Yes, they are plastic and extend past the base. When you dont take the time to line up the 3 tabs with their corresponding holes then attempt to force it the plastic will unfortunately break.

When properly lined up there is 0 force required and they fit right in with ease.

Are you looking for me to invoice you for a replacement?

Best regards,
Shawn Schweiger

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everybody makes mistakes. I design aircraft structures; doesn't mean I do everything perfectly by any means! I would just buy another one. Most places don't accept electrical returns regardless.
Do you have a suggestion of a quality led for a gen 4 sled. I will absolutely buy another one as I can't leave it like that (no that it won't work fine I just can't leave it like that). I emailed him on november 28th and he has not replied since his initial reply I have given him plenty of time.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I don't know either of you, or anything about the bulb but can't stop myself from typing here.

Did you know if you place a chick egg in your hand and attempt to squish it end to end you can't as it is too strong. While pushing on the egg in the same manner if you "touch" the side of the egg with the end of a finger you have a mess in your hand. . .

In a similar fashion you can take an empty aluminum beverage can and gently stand up on it and it will hold you. While standing on it, slowly and carefully bend over and "tap" each side of the can with a finger from each side at the same time. . . .

Not looking to make you more upset than you already are, I agree with others that things happen. You showed a response from the seller that seems to be civil to me, I sort of assume buying bulbs for anything from anywhere is going to put "risk" in my hands to get it installed. (In this case he would have 0 control over what happens to it so thinking it should be replaced might be overkill?)

Care to share what you sent when you let him know the bulb broke? Perhaps it is not really worth your effort to post as what can any of us do about it, this is between you and the seller right. . .

Good luck, hope your next bulb has a brighter outcome!

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
its his arrogance that bugs me the most
Ummmh, no comment.

Can you set the bulb in place (devise a temporary holder if/as needed), then put some epoxy where the broken tab is, to give it enough purchase/adhesion for the life of the bulb? A uniform pool of resin that adheres to the bulb and housing?
Roughen & clean prior. Would salvage the bulb, and some dollar store epoxy might save you some headaches, if you and the vendor cannot agree. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I think you are frustrated and are reading his email response out of context as if he were being rude to you. I think his email response as a business person was quite professional. By the tone of your post, one might assume that your communication with the vendor may have let that frustration show in an unproductive way. I don’t see where he implied that you couldn’t change a bulb, but try to imagine how many emails a guy in his position gets from people that can’t. Even people that know how to do things still make mistakes; I know I do. I’d be frustrated too that a bulb broke, but at least it’s was a Chinese headlight bulb and not your headlight housing- those aren’t cheap. Can you buy a single bulb?

·
Super Moderator
29,364 Posts
Thats the trouble with the internet forums and emails vs phone calls - we're only getting one side of the story and written words can be taken out of context.

I can read the response both ways. It could come across as helpful, it could be read as a being bit rude and condescending. Without seeing the original email/request its hard to say either way.

I have no doubt the OP knows how to install a bulb, I also have no doubt people make mistakes. I also have no doubt sometimes products are defective. Unfortunately there is no way we here at DooTalk can or will solve this one. Hopefully the 2 parties involved can find a common solution that works for both if them.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Tough call, no real answer or solution. As with any business, you can't please everybody all the time. With the internet now, e-sellers and walk in businesses have feedback to deal with and almost always some comments will be negative. We can only do our best and hope most are good reviews.

We haven't seen the original email to gauge the response by either. While it's great to give good service, business today is getting harder and harder to make a go of it. There may not be a whole lot of profit in it to begin with, and then to have to start eating replacement and shipping costs for something that may not be warranty-able( OK maybe not a word) is not nice either.

I feel the frustration, sounds like a poor design to begin with if they are that delicate.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I installed mine in less than 10 minutes. No issues and everything went smoothly. I understand your frustration but you cant really expect him to pay up because you broke it. Mistakes happen man thats a part of life.

Reactions: IcutMetl
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.