Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2009 gade 600 etec, went down last ride of season. Finally got to dealer to take a look and said I had a siezed piston, probably due to bad gas. Anyone heard of this? and any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem and it was a bad injector.It was covered under warranty.Tell your dealer to test that injector and check for any air leaks, just dont blame it on bad gas.

·
Registered
985 Posts
That seems to be what everyone wants to blame it on these days, I understand some may be getting bad gass but cmon. I would also suspect the injector as they have been problems before.

·
Registered
608 Posts
the 2009s had a tiny fuel filter that clogged really easy, caused some breakdowns.
There is no way to properly test a e-tec injector because the engine have to be running for the injectors to open.
When a e-tec burns down and no air leak is found it gets a new injector just in case.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
The only issue is unless a person got an extended warranty, the warranty on the 2009 600 Etec would be up.

I know a guy with two good 2009 600 Etec cylinders, head, di injectors and erave valves all still bolted together, with about 1500 miles on them.

He got scared of this issue, didn't have an extended warranty and converted to carbs and ported 700 cylinders.

·
Registered
608 Posts
He got scared of this issue, didn't have an extended warranty and converted to carbs and ported 700 cylinders.
That is one way of fixing it.
The other would just be to change the fuel filter, do a compression check and call it a day, maybe toke the y-pipe and inkates of to check for scratches in the pistons.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
That is one way of fixing it.
The other would just be to change the fuel filter, do a compression check and call it a day, maybe toke the y-pipe and inkates of to check for scratches in the pistons.
Ha ha.. what if it is a failed injector or a plugged injector... what/who fixes that. You are out of warranty, you fail a piston, you do a pressure decay check on the engine before tearing it down. You got lucky and the cylinder was still ok, you put a new piston in, you put a new filter on the inlet of the fuel pump, you do a pressure and flow test on the electrical pump and you put it back together. Now doo under warranty probably would put a new injector on... but me or you.. we look at
the following: part number 420874731 FUEL INJECTOR ASSY $384.99!!!! Wow do I spring for a new injector at $384.99 before firing the engine up??? That's pretty darn expensive. Naw I will go ahead and start it and ride it.. Opps, now it failed again, and this time it got both the cylinder and the piston... guess I should have spent the $400 for the injector.

I gave my two new fuel filters (one for the pump and the one one on the high pressure side} to the guy who bought my electric intank fuel pump! I am not going to worry about this decision.. anymore. Plus I am going to have more power...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Usually an injector if an e-tec melts a piston. The injectors can be tested (sort of) without the engine running, the test will only show if its completely dead, wont show if its not delivering enough fuel.
You must re-flash the ecu when you change an injector, or move injectors to different cylinders

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the info. I'm going to have them check the injector to see if they can find anything there. I don't believe it was bad gas. If pistons are going to melt down due to gas, then brp needs to figure out what is the cause and fix it. I've been loyal with doo since I started riding and this is my first real disapointment. Especially with an etec.

·
Super Moderator
18,023 Posts
thanks for all the info. I'm going to have them check the injector to see if they can find anything there. I don't believe it was bad gas. If pistons are going to melt down due to gas, then brp needs to figure out what is the cause and fix it. I've been loyal with doo since I started riding and this is my first real disapointment. Especially with an etec.
Just curious, how many miles on your sled?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Even if your fuel pump filter are not clogged you should change it anyway.
The newer filters are much larger.
This applys to the XP XU 600sdi aswell.

·
Registered
21 MXZ XRS 850
3,790 Posts
My advise is this, Have them perform a leak down test. It is very simple to do and they shouldn't charge that much. It will reveal any and all air leaks. The y-pipes are good for cracks. On my sled(500ss TnT) I was told bad gas and rebuilt thinking that, then 36 miles later I had to do a second rebuild which I then did a leak-down test which revealed the PTO seal was bad. My sled had 4000 miles on it. The sled is at 5300 miles and running strong. You fail to mention which piston. Take a little extra time now and you will be rewarded later.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My advise is this, Have them perform a leak down test. It is very simple to do and they shouldn't charge that much. It will reveal any and all air leaks. The y-pipes are good for cracks. On my sled(500ss TnT) I was told bad gas and rebuilt thinking that, then 36 miles later I had to do a second rebuild which I then did a leak-down test which revealed the PTO seal was bad. My sled had 4000 miles on it. The sled is at 5300 miles and running strong. You fail to mention which piston. Take a little extra time now and you will be rewarded later.
Was there no grease leakage?
Had a tnt 500ss -08 in for maintainence this spring and the outer PTO seal was bad, grease everywhere.
Did a leakdown test and the inner seal was good, new grease new outer seal, and we put some skrews and washers to hold the seal in place like the bigger motors have from factory.
No excesive crank runout.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have a 2009 gade 600 etec, went down last ride of season. Finally got to dealer to take a look and said I had a siezed piston, probably due to bad gas. Anyone heard of this? and any thoughts?
What mileage?
Maybe its time to change the bearings and true the crank before the season starts.
If the engine is removed from the sled and put together with the old parts a leak down test is a quick operation.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Original fuel filters on our two 09' etecs.. 7,000mi. each.. compression 140 or better in all cylinders. No issues to date. We just keep riding them and they just keep running great. Knock on wood

·
Registered
608 Posts
Original fuel filters on our two 09' etecs.. 7,000mi. each.. compression 140 or better in all cylinders. No issues to date. We just keep riding them and they just keep running great. Knock on wood
Change your fuel filters.
All that is needed is a fill up at a gas station with almost empty tanks to clogg the filters. Some got clogged from deposits in the tank from factory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts