Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can sombody help me?????????

I have a 1996 mach-z and it's not running right.

It has lots of power and can pull about 120mph any time i want but the thing is passing alot of gas through the exhaust. and because of this it is just drinking the gas.
\
I've tried just about everything. Syncronized the carbs, checked the jetting, lots of compression, set the float height on the carbs, changed plugs and wires, set the timing dead on, set the oil pump, replaced the fuel pumps and lines, checked rave valves, had the crank checked by a ski-doo dealer, just about everything you can think of but it is still spitting fuel through the exhaust.

this usually happens the most when the sled is warmed up.

Would the stator do this, i've heard alot of people talking about faulty stators.

Can someone please help me ????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
22 Posts
1meanmach said:
needle valve and seats on all three carbs were pressure tested to factory spec.
[snapback]314455[/snapback]​
My buddy had the same problem with his formula three it turned out to be a stuck float.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1meanmach said:
can sombody help me?????????

I have a 1996 mach-z and it's not running right.

It has lots of power and can pull about 120mph any time i want but the thing is passing alot of gas through the exhaust. and because of this it is just drinking the gas.
\
I've tried just about everything. Syncronized the carbs, checked the jetting, lots of compression, set the float height on the carbs, changed plugs and wires, set the timing dead on, set the oil pump, replaced the fuel pumps and lines, checked rave valves, had the crank checked by a ski-doo dealer, just about everything you can think of but it is still spitting fuel through the exhaust.

this usually happens the most when the sled is warmed up.

Would the stator do this, i've heard alot of people talking about faulty stators.

Can someone please help me ????????????????????????????????????????????
[snapback]314106[/snapback]​
ck the reeds-lower/mid range rpm is where bad ones usually show up-higher rpm and power is usually ok

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
z attack said:
mtn-z said:
do you have stock reeds?
[snapback]314948[/snapback]​
mine did this .
change your main needles and tubesin all 3 carbs.
[snapback]315768[/snapback]​
I recently put 2000 Mach Z end dump pipes on my 98 Mach Z and am finding the same thing. Sled seems to run fine but it definately uses more gas. I didn't change my needles and tubes to the 2000 specs but instead dropped my clip one notch to #3 and jetted up two sizes from the stock 2000 spec (I initially only went up one as reccommended but was a little worried that it might be too lean at colder temps so I jetted up one more size). If I come across a set of 99 & up needles and tubes I think I'll put them in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
XcellR8 said:
z attack said:
mtn-z said:
do you have stock reeds?
mine did this .
I recently put 2000 Mach Z end dump pipes on my 98 Mach Z and am finding the same thing. Sled seems to run fine but it definately uses more gas. I didn't change my needles and tubes to the 2000 specs but instead dropped my clip one notch to #3 and jetted up two sizes from the stock 2000 spec (I initially only went up one as reccommended but was a little worried that it might be too lean at colder temps so I jetted up one more size). If I come across a set of 99 & up needles and tubes I think I'll put them in.
[snapback]315817[/snapback]​
i did the same thing on my 98, switched up to 99 end dumps, I had a mbrp can on it and it would foul plugs bad at the low end, but on the trail speeds was okay until I backed off, I put in 300 mains and put the stock muffler on and that fixed the problem, will probably go down to 290, but i'm waiting for some colder temps to see what its like.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would say if your 1996 Mach Z is hittign an honest 120mph. It's running just about perfect.

If you were way too rich, you would not be hitting 120mph.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
skidoo75 said:
XcellR8 said:
z attack said:
mtn-z said:
do you have stock reeds?
mine did this .
i did the same thing on my 98, switched up to 99 end dumps, I had a mbrp can on it and it would foul plugs bad at the low end, but on the trail speeds was okay until I backed off, I put in 300 mains and put the stock muffler on and that fixed the problem, will probably go down to 290, but i'm waiting for some colder temps to see what its like.
[snapback]315846[/snapback]​
Is that all the changes you did when you put the end dumps on? Did you use your 98 needles and tubes or did you put the 99 & up ones in? Were the pipes
from a 99 Mach Z or after market? What jetting, clip position were you running with the 98 pipes (mine was the stock 310-320 -310 jetting and the clip on #2, with the end dumps I was told to lower the clip to #3 and run 320s across but as I mentioned I bumped it up to 330s)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
XcellR8 said:
skidoo75 said:
XcellR8 said:
z attack said:
mtn-z said:
do you have stock reeds?
mine did this .
[snapback]315846[/snapback]​
Is that all the changes you did when you put the end dumps on? Did you use your 98 needles and tubes or did you put the 99 & up ones in? Were the pipes
from a 99 Mach Z or after market? What jetting, clip position were you running with the 98 pipes (mine was the stock 310-320 -310 jetting and the clip on #2, with the end dumps I was told to lower the clip to #3 and run 320s across but as I mentioned I bumped it up to 330s)?
[snapback]316068[/snapback]​
I got a set of 99 stock Mach Z end dump pipes and a muffler, I used the stock 98 needles and jets, ( If I can remember I think they are the same part numbers on the 98-99 with the same needle kit position) I then put in 300-300-300 and it seems to run fine, and the plugs are black looking, but we were riding on +2 C days, waiting to see what its like around -20C should be okay they ran 300 somewhere around 01, The fuel mileage hasn't changed any still getting about 80 miles a tank

When you look at the CK3 Mach Z specs from 98-03 there wasn't very many changes, mostly only minor jetting changes and needles and needle jet changes a couple of years
But you shouldn't have any problems except that maybe the 330 are a little rich, but by lowering the Eclip you are making it run rich in the midrange where most of trail riding is, with the combination of the two may cause it to consume more fuel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts