Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wanted to report about my SHR 700 H.O. After 3 seasons all I can say is INCREDIBLE. The spunk from this Big John motor just leaves 800 cc mountain riders shaking their heads in disbelif that a 600 cc based motor can just annhilate them on the mountain. I don't understand why there are not more of these motors on the mountain or out and about in the flatlands. This sled decisively dominates all 800 cc class sleds with comparable track size ( up to 154" ) in the steep and deep and also on the flat drag runs. As proved by my 05 Rev 700 big block - 146 track which has takin a second in 800 modified grass drags, and a first in 700 & a third in 800 mod at the Yellowstone Expos drags. This combo is hard to beat as an all around fun sled, and gets fantastic snow gas mileage to boot, as a guess ....... 12 - 16 mpg depending upon your throttle pressure

If you are at all thinking of taking a big hit by trading in your 600 Rev for an extremely expensive new XP, or are wanting to build a Giant killer sleeper sled, you owe it to yourself by contacting Big John at Sled Head Racing @ sledheadracing.net
612-718-3861 for a consulatation on what he can doo for your 600 cc Rev at a fraction of the cost of upgrading to a XP. I attached a few pics, feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
I agree with you 100%...

Got and have had a Rev 700HO for a number of years - still have it. Now have two XP's (one shorty with 1 3/4 track and one summit with 146) with 700HO's ... it is definitely the sweet spot in the Doo engine family...no vibrations yet great power and super quick spool up. Definitely looking forward to riding the lighter XP's with the 700's in them this year. One of them is a complete BJ 700HO off a 600RS. Looking forward to the snow...

Think there are a bigger number of them in the midwest then outwest for some reason. Know three or 4 others with them. TT670 for one. Squidward... etc... SkidooSteve just sold one.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
When I cant have a Rotax 700 in my ski doo, Id seriously consider moving on to another brand. I had a 2000 zx 700 then I built a 700 for my REV and ran a stock cylinder 700 in my XP last year that was impressive. For this season I'll be sporting a Trygstad 700. Its my opinion that its the best 2 cylinder engine ski doo has ever built and Id even go a step further and say its probably the best 700cc class twin from any manufacturer ever.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
Thanks Slim! As my little girl grows (she is 9 now) I will be putting her on a 600cc detuned a bit, as she continues to grow I can tune it up a bit and eventually go with the SHR700cc set-up.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
is that a 600ho motor with 700 cylinders? I was planning on doing that with some 800ho cylinders on my 600 base..

howmuch for that bigbore kit or whatever it is a 800 killer? LOL im interested

Reactions: KOREV

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
is that a 600ho motor with 700 cylinders? I was planning on doing that with some 800ho cylinders on my 600 base..

howmuch for that bigbore kit or whatever it is a 800 killer? LOL im interested
700's bolt right on, 800h.o.'s require case machining for them to fit, that gives you a 770 and you need a custom head for the domes to recess in the cylinder, rk tek can do that for ya and dmax also as he sells 770 kits

·
Registered
226 Posts
How much did it run ya to completely build the 600 base with the 700 cylinders? How many cc's is that? HP roughly? Thanks might consider doin that instead of jamming a 800 in.. Any other special things that had to be done to crank like balancing for larger pistons?

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
How much did it run ya to completely build the 600 base with the 700 cylinders? How many cc's is that? HP roughly? Thanks might consider doin that instead of jamming a 800 in.. Any other special things that had to be done to crank like balancing for larger pistons?
It would be 700cc's, the 6 and 7 share the same bottom end. Its a bolt on and go setup using 600 pipe, y pipe, carbs etc. HP from a ported 700 is 140ish but the short stroke makes them rev quicker and IMO are a more "fun" engine than an 800. Last winter my stock cylinder 700 was right on the heels of every 800R I lined up against and was a consistent half sled faster than a polaris rush 800. Cost for a ported 700 is about $500 plus whatever you end up spending rounding up a set of 700 cyls and head, fresh pistons etc. Id guess you could build a ported 700 from your 600HO bottom end for about $1200.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I will definitely have to look into it.... How's reliability?

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
Thanks Slim....the SHR700/720HO is a real gem...as for reliability, 3 years running in the mountains...as in sustained full throttle pulls for 2 minutes...

The 140+ hp SHR700/720HO built off the 600HO cylinder makes 5-6 more hp/tq than the 700 cylinder (even ported = 135ish)...the 800 cylinder on the 600 bottom is really going backwards IMHO (except a fully ported 840HO cylinder = 808cc's and finally works well)...ROTAX did their homework on that 600HO cylinder, just like the 800R...NOT that I have built/rode/tuned these combos for last 5 years or better (LOL)...BJ

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Thanks Slim....the SHR700/720HO is a real gem...as for reliability, 3 years running in the mountains...as in sustained full throttle pulls for 2 minutes...

The 140+ hp SHR700/720HO built off the 600HO cylinder makes 5-6 more hp/tq than the 700 cylinder (even ported = 135ish)...the 800 cylinder on the 600 bottom is really going backwards IMHO (except a fully ported 840HO cylinder = 808cc's and finally works well)...ROTAX did their homework on that 600HO cylinder, just like the 800R...NOT that I have built/rode/tuned these combos for last 5 years or better (LOL)...BJ
Hmmm. It take Two Minutes to reach the top!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Ok guys I dont wanna steal the TC thread but if I get it right, to make my sled a 700 I need to buy 700 cylinders/pistons/reeds/powervalves and thats it? new gaskets of course but what about jetting??

And any 700cc form skidoo will work like a mxz 700 or formula or legend wont matter as im thinking..(does the mxz have more agresive porting? anyways I would send my cylinders to be ported..

Howmuch would that cost about for a full 700 motor 1000$? could I do that with 670HO cylinders from mxz in 98-99?

And finally, would it be better a 737 kit form rk tek i think they make it..? the cost of that probably is more pricey.

i can do the work myself on the motor tough. Just want to know so i can do this before winter and beat even more buddys

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
700 Cylinders, head, rave valves and pistons. Everything else from the 600HO will work with the exception of very very minor jet changes and clutching for more power. The 700 cylinders that work have a casting number of 923692 which are 2000 model yr with decompression notches or 923695 2001 to 2003 engines. Stay away from 1999 cylinders, they dont bolt up, formula and legend cylinders are the same as mxz's with one exception, the 2000 formula Z 700 in the purple paint used the 1999 engine that is different from all the other 700's, but there arent many of those out there compared to mxz's anyway. 670 cylinders dont work, totally different style of engine.

RKT's big bore is an impressive engine and he can use your 600HO cylinders to build it, but it will be more money than a DIY 700. You can price it out on his website.

·
Registered
994 Posts
What are you running for a clutching and gearing? Looking to build something similar.

Wanted to report about my SHR 700 H.O. After 3 seasons all I can say is INCREDIBLE. The spunk from this Big John motor just leaves 800 cc mountain riders shaking their heads in disbelif that a 600 cc based motor can just annhilate them on the mountain. I don't understand why there are not more of these motors on the mountain or out and about in the flatlands. This sled decisively dominates all 800 cc class sleds with comparable track size ( up to 154" ) in the steep and deep and also on the flat drag runs. As proved by my 05 Rev 700 big block - 146 track which has takin a second in 800 modified grass drags, and a first in 700 & a third in 800 mod at the Yellowstone Expos drags. This combo is hard to beat as an all around fun sled, and gets fantastic snow gas mileage to boot, as a guess ....... 12 - 16 mpg depending upon your throttle pressure

If you are at all thinking of taking a big hit by trading in your 600 Rev for an extremely expensive new XP, or are wanting to build a Giant killer sleeper sled, you owe it to yourself by contacting Big John at Sled Head Racing @ sledheadracing.net
612-718-3861 for a consulatation on what he can doo for your 600 cc Rev at a fraction of the cost of upgrading to a XP. I attached a few pics, feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm going to do this mod next summer. Did you guys do the full motor upgrade or just the top end? I don't want to remove my motor if I don't have too. For those that did the top end mod, how was it performance wise and what kind of gains did you get? Same question for those that did the full engine upgrade. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts