Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our first gen REVs had a nifty shovel/saw made specifically for the spot under the hood. Our new sleds don’t seem to have any room under the plastic for a shovel and we don’t wear backpacks, so where is everyone carrying their shovels on their G4s?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I put the blade in my 21 Linq bag and zip tied the handle to the stackable fuel caddy. 1200 miles and it never loosened up a bit. If you don’t use the Linq stuff, I don’t know what you’d do with it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
There is a kit out there that utilizes the stackable gas can to retain a shovel... I'll see if I can find it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
I posted this after the Syracuse show this year where they were showing it on one of the demo sleds. Skidoo makes one for the LINQ sytem. I think it is the best kept secret out there though, because I had never seen it, and no one at the show from Doo seemed to know what it was either or whether or not it was a BRP product. Did a little research and turns out it is Skidoo OEM.... See the link to my original post.

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1568955-linq-shovel-mount-from-brp/

·
Registered
116 Posts
Our first gen REVs had a nifty shovel/saw made specifically for the spot under the hood. Our new sleds don't seem to have any room under the plastic for a shovel and we don't wear backpacks, so where is everyone carrying their shovels on their G4s?
Dave,

I haven't picked up my new Gade yet, but have been brainstorming on where to mount the shovel.

One idea I have is to make a bracket that attaches to the linq set up like the whiteout technologies locking bracket does.... but make it a little larger to attach a quick fist clamp to them. Maybe even putting it on the non latching side (left), with the Doo LinQ adapter "inserts"... The ones used to secure the saddle bags when used alone, or just the left side when used with other linq accessories...
I have used the quick fist clamps to hold a shovel handle on my old sled for 3-4K miles, and a buddy has a set mounted on the side of his powder keg set up holding the complete shovel for ~2500 miles without any issues... Not the best pic, but about the only one showing the shovel mounted...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The one from Westlock is the for the non-stackable linq can ... saw it last year and its great but does anybody know what's out there for the stackable can?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I bought the shovel holder made by westlock powersports
What's the cost on the Westlock adapter?? Has anybody used it, does it secure well? I tried calling but no answer...

Thanks!

Reactions: Boylstonrider

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
What's the cost on the Westlock adapter?? Has anybody used it, does it secure well? I tried calling but no answer...

Thanks!
I have it mounted directy to the linqs on our Backcountry. It works well and stays put.I had it on my renegade for three seasons before the BC. One catch is that it only works with a specific SOS shovel. Ski Doo doesn't offer the SOS shovel any more but WPS does sell the correct one.The price for the mount is $176 US dollars. That includes the Linq adapters. This picture isn't the best but u can see my blue shovel and mount. Here is a email address to WPS parts department. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
@boylstonrider Thanks for the update appreciate the intel!

Here is what i ended up doing, there are a few caveats to my simple solution. 1. need to have a battery 2. Need to have a Linq gas can. I used high strength hook & loop (velcro) and laced it under the battery frame (not just the plastic housing but the actual metal battery frame underneath), then looped it through the shovel. The shovel ironically fits perfectly between the seat and the linq gas can. I cinched up the velcro strap nice and snug and done. It's very snug and does not wiggle. We'll see how much of a beating it can take in the real world.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was looking for a solution for this as well. I managed to put the blade just on top of the exhaust behind the right panel and the handle resting behind the left cover. I have had it out and it all holds in place perfectly. I was a little worried about the blade getting too hot but it just gets warm so I'm very happy. Secure and easily accessible with no mounting necessary.

My sled is in the shop right now, but I can take some pictures if anyone needs when it gets back.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I remember, in my younger (and dumber) years of snowmobilng, and of getting stuck, and having to dig with my hands and why I have been carrying both extra waterproof gloves, and a lightweight, shovel that has the handle that breaks apart with the pushbuttons, for just in case, along with a big tow strap, for just in case.

After I had started carrying the shovel, and the strap, I haven't been stuck or needed either one but still carry them for just in case.

I have the big Grand Touring rear box so the shovel and strap fit easily into it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I finally made progress on mounting my shovel on my Gade.

I'm waiting on the LinQ fasteners to show up, so I can possibly run it on the left side of the sled. But in the meantime it will work on the right side. Just need to mount the quick fist clamps on the bottom to be able to close the lever of the gas caddy and bag.

A buddy ended up making the plates for me. So far from what I can tell, this set up will turn out 10 times better than I had anticipated.

The plates just get sandwiched between the LinQ brackets and the bag/ gas caddy. Or will be secured by the LinQ fasteners when they show up, just like how a saddle bag is held on to the LinQ bracket.

In the pics the clamps are just sitting on the brackets to see how it would work out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts