Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a 2008 Summit X 800 with 154", and in bottomless powder it is unbeatable, but in under 2 feet it is just soooooooooo hard to lean. My 2002 800 w/151 is easier to make uphill turns with. My wife's 2004 REV requires so little effort to tip, given the '08 is 'smoother,' but it just takes too much effort. I love the light weight of the XP, but I don't like how it rides and corners except on trail and in 4+ ft of pow. I'm going to look at some 2007 X-RS's next week, I figure with the extra money from selling my '08 I can mod out an '07 X-RS a bit and make a monster. What do you guys think? To give you an idea of my riding style, I live in Northern Utah so I have a diversity from shallow, hard snow to 6 ft of powder. I don't hillclimb that much, mostly boondocking, jumping, and messing around in powder.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Install the suspension upgrade kid from DOO, did it to my 09 Hillclimb last fall and love it now. I thinking about getting a new sled, now I will keep it till a new chassis comes out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
s-36 is the key, entirely different feeling and handling, i had a 2008 x also and now a 2011 SP,(both 154) and it s so different, a lot better...

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Last year I bought a 2008 Summit X 800 with 154", and in bottomless powder it is unbeatable, but in under 2 feet it is just soooooooooo hard to lean. My 2002 800 w/151 is easier to make uphill turns with. My wife's 2004 REV requires so little effort to tip, given the '08 is 'smoother,' but it just takes too much effort. I love the light weight of the XP, but I don't like how it rides and corners except on trail and in 4+ ft of pow. I'm going to look at some 2007 X-RS's next week, I figure with the extra money from selling my '08 I can mod out an '07 X-RS a bit and make a monster. What do you guys think? To give you an idea of my riding style, I live in Northern Utah so I have a diversity from shallow, hard snow to 6 ft of powder. I don't hillclimb that much, mostly boondocking, jumping, and messing around in powder.
Fully Mod 07 is my choice.Better balanced powder sled than the XP Chassis,It will take some coin with big results

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on the S-36 guys, I didn't know they had come out with a narrower front end kit, I'm going to check it out next week.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Also upgrade the front skid shock. There is a BRP update kit you can do that comes with new rails and longer frton skid shock. Or you can do the longer shock with some relocate brackets with your current rails.

The longer front skid shock paired with the 36" stance on the XP makes a world of difference.

At first I wasn't a fan of the narrow stance at all. I thought it was harder to control and didn't find it held a line well when climbing. Much of it was simple over compensating when I didn't have to.

On a 08/09 there are two major upgrades to do that will totally change the handling of the sled. First, ditch the stock ported track for a 2.5" camo extreme, and then get the narrow stance paird with the longer skid shock.

If You have previously ditched the sway bar on your '08, consider putting it back in if you go to the narrow stance.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Or do like me and buy a pro so you don't have to "mod your sled to make it ride right! You should be able to find one in your area for around 9k with 3yr warranty left. I have ridden doo ever since I was a kid and all it took for me to jump ship was spend 2 days on a new assault. I decided to part out my sled and I have made over 3k already and have about another $2500 in parts left. Got a assault for $8500. I know they don't have as much power as the 800r but they make up for it ten fold in handling and the fact that they don't blow a belt every 3 rides lol

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Or do like me and buy a pro so you don't have to "mod your sled to make it ride right! You should be able to find one in your area for around 9k with 3yr warranty left. I have ridden doo ever since I was a kid and all it took for me to jump ship was spend 2 days on a new assault. I decided to part out my sled and I have made over 3k already and have about another $2500 in parts left. Got a assault for $8500. I know they don't have as much power as the 800r but they make up for it ten fold in handling and the fact that they don't blow a belt every 3 rides lol
If BRP could have released what is the 2012 Etec Summit in 2008 instead of rushing to get the XP to market, there would be no Polaris

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have been on both many times and the pro is by far the best all around sled on the market IMO. Skidoo still can't even figure out how to clutch a sled for crying out loud lol the only downfall I have found with the poo is lack of power. I think the sleeper sled of the year will be the m1100 turbo since you can get close to 300hp on a stock motor!!! I'll ride my pro for a year and if doo comes out with a new chassis/motor I might consider coming back. Me and Mr.J are going to have a shoot out this year to see what's best! He has clutching, CE 2.5, and a little weight shed off. I will have a can, CE 2.5 and clutching. Should be a interesting winter.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I have been on both many times and the pro is by far the best all around sled on the market IMO. Skidoo still can't even figure out how to clutch a sled for crying out loud lol the only downfall I have found with the poo is lack of power. I think the sleeper sled of the year will be the m1100 turbo since you can get close to 300hp on a stock motor!!! I'll ride my pro for a year and if doo comes out with a new chassis/motor I might consider coming back. Me and Mr.J are going to have a shoot out this year to see what's best! He has clutching, CE 2.5, and a little weight shed off. I will have a can, CE 2.5 and clutching. Should be a interesting winter.
i better tag along to be a witness and maybe take some notes

·
Registered
151 Posts
Plus he only weighs a buck twenty five soaking wet. Huge weight to HP ratio. He'll kill you climbing or in a straight line in deep snow, but if you challenge him to a race through the trees you might have an advantage if that pro is the figure skater you claim it is.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The 144 pro I rode was very easy to ride and is superior to the 146 Doo builds, but right now I am a short track guy so once I get out of shape and break the 130lb barrier ( that's right go ahead and judge, 150lb with all my gear on) I will get a long track. I am putting the s 36 package on my wife's gade even though she was always the first to run out of fuel last season,she rips and is the best riding partner I have.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
What have you already tried as far as suspension setup on your '08? Swaybar, limiter strap, bar riser position, ski and skid spring settings...???? Make the most of what you already have before spending money, you might be happy for free.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
What have you already tried as far as suspension setup on your '08? Swaybar, limiter strap, bar riser position, ski and skid spring settings...???? Make the most of what you already have before spending money, you might be happy for free.
before spending alot of money...

1) remove sway bar/ crank up springs or for better on/off trail front end...add 90 lb springs ($75)

2) swap skis (left to right)...set on narrow stance...(free)

3) let out limiter all the way (free)

4) crank UP rear springs all the way or go to next stiffer if you weigh over 200 lbs (free or $90)

5) swap riser to 10"...tip back so your riding position is at or behind bolt for rear suspension...never ride feet in stirrups unless pointed straight up hill..($60)

6) with stock rear springs add scissor mod brackets...($75)

7) now for $300 and a couple hours in the shop...your XP wont feel like it used too!-BJ

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
before spending alot of money...

1) remove sway bar/ crank up springs or for better on/off trail front end...add 90 lb springs ($75)

2) swap skis (left to right)...set on narrow stance...(free)

3) let out limiter all the way (free)

4) crank UP rear springs all the way or go to next stiffer if you weigh over 200 lbs (free or $90)

5) swap riser to 10"...tip back so your riding position is at or behind bolt for rear suspension...never ride feet in stirrups unless pointed straight up hill..($60)

6) with stock rear springs add scissor mod brackets...($75)

7) now for $300 and a couple hours in the shop...your XP wont feel like it used too!-BJ
Sounds like you know what a used tool feels like :closedeyes:Ohh guess I should shut up ,just had a birthday and its not setting well at all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts