Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
This might get a little long-winded...

So, last spring, on one of only a couple of weekends I could ride I went out and my 2006 800 Ptek Adrenline locked up. For the second time. First time was under warranty and the crank and internals were all replaced. Second time it turns out the crank seal came out. I guess I should've been checking them but I had no idea I needed to. So, at this point the sled is ten years old and I wanted something new. I ordered a new XRS which I'm ecstatic about. I also decided that hopefully I might do a little better selling the ptek if I fix it and worse case I'm stuck with two sleds!! (that's not all bad)

So, the sled got a new short block dealer installed with a one year warranty. (Thought this might help it sell.) Immediately put the sled on consignment at my dealer and at this point is still has not sold. I listed for $3700 which seems more than reasonable for a ten year old sled with a new motor.

My question is this, would you take the sled off consignment and get some miles on it now while still under warranty or let it sit for a little while longer in hopes of selling it?

I know it hasn't been a good snow year, but should I hold out and keep i at the dealer?

I really do not need the sled. The GF would like to get into sleds but I really didn't want to start her on an 800 as she hasn't driven much of anything else besides her car and my jetski. I was hopefully planning to get her a plush 600 rene or even grand touring next year. Anyone introduce their GF/newbie on an 800?

Here's the Dealer ad and craigslisting I put up. I also listed on DooTalk and didn't get a single response.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/snw/5349561955.html

http://www.minneapolismotorsports.com/2006Ski-DooMXZ-ADR-800HO-inventory.htm?id=958965&used=1&vin=2BPSBD6B56V000679

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
wow. 3100 miles and on the 3rd crank. Should be all set now with a new shortblock tho.

What will the dealer give you for trade in

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I would've traded last fall for my XRS it was 2700. And then you can take the tax off the new buy so retail, it was would've been like I was getting 2902. Was just too low after what I paid to put the short block in.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
IMO if the dealer has not sold it yet, it's not very likely that they are going to sell it. They must have their own inventory of used machines that they steer people towards over yours. I don't doubt your machine is worth the asking price considering the new motor, but to the average Craigslist surfer, it's priced very close to newer XP sleds so they likely just skip right over your ad. Probably should have sold it as is with the bad motor or parted it out if you didn't plan on riding it anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO if the dealer has not sold it yet, it's not very likely that they are going to sell it. They must have their own inventory of used machines that they steer people towards over yours. I don't doubt your machine is worth the asking price considering the new motor, but to the average Craigslist surfer, it's priced very close to newer XP sleds so they likely just skip right over your ad. Probably should have sold it as is with the bad motor or parted it out if you didn't plan on riding it anymore.
Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I would like to sell it but also knew in the back of my head there was a chance I'd get stuck with it. It was a big debate last spring what to do, in my case I might've considered parting it out but I don't currently have the space to do that. and the salvage yards were giving next to nothing. I figured it'd be a lot easier to sell in working condition.

Oh well, you live and learn, definetly not too upset about having to have a second sled.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd bring it home and let the GF ride it. Not really that much difference in speed between a 6 and 8 at half throttle.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I would like to sell it but also knew in the back of my head there was a chance I'd get stuck with it. It was a big debate last spring what to do, in my case I might've considered parting it out but I don't currently have the space to do that. and the salvage yards were giving next to nothing. I figured it'd be a lot easier to sell in working condition.

Oh well, you live and learn, definetly not too upset about having to have a second sled.
My friend was in a very similar situation at the end of last season. His '07 Blizzard lost the motor, so he replaced the sled with a 2015. I installed a new shortblock for him and he sold the sled this fall for $5300 Canadian. Seems every fall there are a bunch of kids running around with fists full of cash looking t pay top dollar for a nice clean sled, he was just lucky enough to find one.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
It is a hard year to sell a used sled because there are so many manufacturer discounts on new year sleds. The price of the current new sleds is probably the lowest that I have seen over the last few years.

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
keep it and throw you gf on it,

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
yea, I go over cl everyday and have never seen that one. 'unfortunately, you want to re-up your add quite often to keep it close to the top. i search rev, mxz, mxzx, etc and haven't see that one. there is one for 1800 now 800 rev, another for 2200 same deal.

really the possibility winter's going to be a bust here. if you want to sell it, you'll have to price it accordingly. our toys are usually worth lots to us, but when it comes to selling it.. it's worth what the current local market will bear.

·
Looking for the Hot Tub...
7,044 Posts
Good luck..yeah they are not pushing used right now, they have new '15 sitting there along side the '16's. Its not hurting it sitting there unless you want to ride it.

I know they are not going to give me crap for them on trade, both of mine are in excellent shape, low miles, there is nothing wrong with them, just can't hardly pass up the deals on new ones..prob be looking at some 16 Blizzards with 800's sitting in the garage come tomorrow afternoon.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Ooooof, that is a serious amount for a 2006 that blew-up twice. I would think hard about the surrounding systems that control air/fuel and oil delivery. Then think twice as hard for the pre break-in setup and break-in. And I don't mean how many heat cycles or how slow or how hard to ride it, because a properly setup sled from the manufacture should be ridden normally without having to worry about such things. You may want to go easy on the racing, but that's beside the point I bolded. In other words if it needs to be ridden slow and easy during the break-in, there is a problem with the setup.

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts
I would put as many miles I could while under warranty.

Reactions: snow dance

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
The engine itself is under warranty against defect and assembly errors. But when it goes down from a problem with the systems that provide air/fuel and fuel/oil ratios, the warranty is voided.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had recently replaced the boots with boyesen reeds and cleaned the carbs regularly. The second time it blew up was due to a lean condition because of one of the crank seals popping out. So I'm hopping there shouldn't be any surrounding latent issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts