Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2014 MXZ 1200 with 89 miles. Sled was stored in a heated garage. Considering age of the oil should I change it now or wait until break in is complete?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
2X 5yr old oil and filter with only 89 miles means it probably was never even ridden long to get the oil really hot. Change for thousands of happy miles. As far as break in just make sure you run it a few miles to fully warm up the oil and go for it. Even broken in that's proper engine ettiquette.

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,070 Posts
Change it, it also may have the old style paper filter in it and 5 years on it means it will probably collapse.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Yes indeed, change oil and filter. The new oil filter has a wire mesh exterior to keep from collapsing. Use any quality 0-40w pure synthetic oil. Most guys here run Doo oil or Mobil 1. One last thing, at the end of the season, change your oil and filter, so it sets all summer in fresh oil.

Bob

·
Registered
657 Posts
4 quarts of mobil 1 and a filter is about 50 bucks. pretty sure manual says change once a year regardless of use(meaning if its sitting still change it)

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Another oil thread...... but I'm going to chime in anyway.

I purchased a 2016 Blizzard 900 with 10 miles on it in April 2018. I did not change the oil until I put ~300 miles on it last seasons (2019).

Full synthetic oils can hold up better to time, mileage, moisture and combustion by-products.

I have a buddy with a large boat and changing oil is a feat. He sends his oil out for testing at the end of every season to test a wide range of parameters to see when it needs changed. He has gone 3 years between oil changes and has never had an engine issue. It's a big boat and takes high RPM's to keep it on plane. It sits in the water most of the summer and in covered but not temperature controlled storage in the off-season.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
4 quarts of mobil 1 and a filter is about 50 bucks. pretty sure manual says change once a year regardless of use(meaning if its sitting still change it)
I'm not so sure I'd drop 4 full quarts in this. I've been changing my own oil since new in 2012 and I measure what I take out and put that amount back in. I'm not sure I've ever drained 4 quarts. Might want to start with 3.5 quarts, warm it up and measure per manual procedure.

Always easier to add oil then subtract.

Or so I think.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Capacity is 3.5 liters per manual. 3.7 Qts. 500ml is the amount between add and full per my shop manual.

Reactions: Bowana

·
boost junkie
10,598 Posts
124 filter is about $20 retail

so $50 oil change is close

I bet the brp oil change kit is double that

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
It's around $75 I think for the BRP kit. For me, my last BMW ran Mobil 1 0W-40 and had 200k on it when I sold it and it ran like new. Had to pull the valve cover at about 180k to change the gasket and the top end looked like a brand new engine. I've been running it in my last 2 1200s and it's the only thing I'll put in there. Stick with the latest 124 OEM filter though...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Yes indeed, change oil and filter. The new oil filter has a wire mesh exterior to keep from collapsing. Use any quality 0-40w pure synthetic oil. Most guys here run Doo oil or Mobil 1. One last thing, at the end of the season, change your oil and filter, so it sets all summer in fresh oil.

Bob
I wait and change mine in the fall for the upcoming season. Where we are at...we get such big temp swings. I have to run a dehumidfier 24/7 to keep my stuff from sweating in my storage place. Its ridiculous. Always afraid of the engine sweating all off season creating moisture inside my crank case. IMO id rather drain that all out and start fresh before riding. Maybe Im wrong in my thinking but.....

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The 900 Oil Change Kit is $67.99...... I can get it for just under $55. They now have the exact oil amount in the kit plus the latest filer and the o-rings so I just get the BRP kit.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
Another oil thread...... but I'm going to chime in anyway.

I purchased a 2016 Blizzard 900 with 10 miles on it in April 2018. I did not change the oil until I put ~300 miles on it last seasons (2019).

Full synthetic oils can hold up better to time, mileage, moisture and combustion by-products.

I have a buddy with a large boat and changing oil is a feat. He sends his oil out for testing at the end of every season to test a wide range of parameters to see when it needs changed. He has gone 3 years between oil changes and has never had an engine issue. It's a big boat and takes high RPM's to keep it on plane. It sits in the water most of the summer and in covered but not temperature controlled storage in the off-season.
I've watched youtube review videos where they sent in full synthetic oil from vehicles that have sat for years with low miles driven a year, like 1000-2000 a year, and the oil is just fine still after being in the vehicle for years. I am finding it hard to justify an oil change on a sled that only saw under 500 miles of use last year, and will be lucky to see 500 miles this winter.

Of course BRP puts it in their owner's manual that you should change the oil and filter every year no matter the mileage on the vehicle... because they sell the oil and filter kits.

Going into the worse winter I've ever had with 2 new-to-me 1200 sleds added to the fleet. <_< <_< <_< Just grumpy lately.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
I'm still going to change my oil.

Bob

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I've watched youtube review videos where they sent in full synthetic oil from vehicles that have sat for years with low miles driven a year, like 1000-2000 a year, and the oil is just fine still after being in the vehicle for years. I am finding it hard to justify an oil change on a sled that only saw under 500 miles of use last year, and will be lucky to see 500 miles this winter.

Of course BRP puts it in their owner's manual that you should change the oil and filter every year no matter the mileage on the vehicle... because they sell the oil and filter kits.

Going into the worse winter I've ever had with 2 new-to-me 1200 sleds added to the fleet. <_< <_< <_< Just grumpy lately.
100%. Synthetics especially, just don't break down like that. Anybody who says the OP's sled "needs" an oil change, doesn't know what they're talking about. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts