Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Ski-Doo Legend with 8,000 northern Maine hard packed trail miles on it. The sled looks mint! Guy said he would sell it to me for $1,000. He said he needs the money and he paid $1,800 for it back in November. He said it came from an old man and it was stored inside. It has high mileage but is it a grenade? Here are a few pics... do I buy it? Blue book retail is $2,000 but that's retail and who goes by blue book right? It's a 600cc...

Attachments

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
I'd pass. I'd look to a newer sled. Plan on doing an engine rebuild if you buy it.Every sled for sale was only run on perfect trails by an old man or someone's wife.Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Team Cheeseburger
1,011 Posts
If its clean in the engine bay I'd go $1,000 on it if I was in the market for a new to me ZX chassis sled

but absolutely test ride it before you buy it

·
14,562 Posts
You can't buy much for that kind of money. How could you go wrong?
Buying it for a G,rebuilding the engine,doing other maintenance a sled with those miles needs,maybe a track and ending up still with a $1000 sled with 3g into it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I put 18000 miles on my last skandic. It was always stored outside. Never replaced the track,never rebuilt the motor. Sold it for $1500.00. He still has it, pounds it harder than I did. It now has over 20000 miles on it. Judging from the picture of this sled it has been maintained much better than mine was. If I was looking for a sled like this I would at least go look it over. It's not hard to tell if it was taken care of, or pounded hard.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Buying it for a G,rebuilding the engine,doing other maintenance a sled with those miles needs,maybe a track and ending up still with a $1000 sled with 3g into it.
A solid sled built right, just the way you want it for $3k is a great value. I would just make sure it's worth putting money into (if it's been crashed or the engine is rusty I'd pass).

Honestly, a 2003 sled with half the miles could probably use the same work (drive line bearings, crank grease, new track, shock rebuild, etc).

·
14,562 Posts
A solid sled built right, just the way you want it for $3k is a great value. I would just make sure it's worth putting money into (if it's been crashed or the engine is rusty I'd pass).
Very true but my point is you can pretty much do the same thing with a newer Rev or possibly an XP. I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago for $3200.Any running sled in decent shape is worth a grand IMO but it not always the right buy.Depends what your after.

·
7,718 Posts
ZX was as tough as nails with the right engine. Chaincase, clutching, rear skid, all solid pieces. 600HO and 800/HO were questionable, but the standard Series 3 - 600 was a very reliable engine. It lives on as the 500SS.

As has been said, $1000 doesn't get you much and it looks very clean. Take it for a ride to see if it's as solid as it looks.

My only warning:
Anything older than the REV chassis feels like you're driving an olympique these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would go for the zx that has lots of miles before I would buy a rev or xp those things were bomb's leaving the dealers floor you could be out 4000 grand real quick. The zx 600 and 700 have a good track record and the bottom ends were better.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would go for the zx that has lots of miles before I would buy a rev or xp those things were bomb's leaving the dealers floor you could be out 4000 grand real quick. The zx 600 and 700 have a good track record and the bottom ends were better.

How's this? The 600 sdi was one of the most reliable 600's made and so is the current ETec. After driving new rider-forward (rev/XP) sleds for a while, and then getting on a zx again, there's not a chance I would even consider a "pancake" sled again

·
14,562 Posts

That is a statement with no basis in reality. Never have I heard someone preferring a ZX chassis over a Rev or XP. Time Bomb??? Stay off drugs kids.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the insult. I didnt say that I preferred the zx chassis I said the motors were more sound they do not have the same power but they last better. I have had a new skidoo sled every 2 years for the last 25 years not to mention my wifes sleds and my kids sleds. I ride at 6000 - 8000 ft in 2-3 ft of powder and my sleds are taped out all day in my experience out of the five Rev's and XP's that I've owned they all had engine failure none of them made it passed 3500km stock and out of all of all the 4 ZX chassis I have had, I have had no engine failures and have ZX's with up to 15,000 km. Remember this guy is trying to get into a sled cheap and dose not want any surprises. This is my experience and my opinion I thought that is what this site is about. Like I said thanks for the insult.

·
14,562 Posts
Well to say they are ticking time bombs once they leave they dealer is more of a blanket statement than an opinion.I'm not sure how you take care of your sleds but not having one last more than 3500km is not the norm.I have almost 16000km on mine and it has never been opened and many have way more than that. I apologize if my post was insulting to you. Too many trolls on here join and bash and I assumed you were one.Not a good start joining the site.Sorry.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I had a rev, and I still have an XP, and I bought a zx this year. The zx is not as smooth but it's "smooth enough" if you maintain the suspension. It's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes snow dance to say that they were all ticking time bombs was wrong I retract that. I doo believe that the type of riding has alot to do with the longevity of the motors. I look after my sleds the way they should be serviced but I do ride them hard. Im glad you are happy with your sled, it sounds like it is a 600 from what I no they seemed to be a better motor than the xp 800 r. The xp 800r is what the guys were buying most of in these parts including myself, it is the ( norm ) here that you were extremely lucky to have one that made 5000 km and I new alot of guys that had them and still have them but the guys that still have there's I know rebuild the top end and sometimes even the bottom ends every 3000 km or sooner because they know they could have big issues. So we might have to agree to disagree on what normal is. A doo accept your apology I'm not here to bash, I just see and here what I see and here. I try say up on what the motor / sled shops are repairing around here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts