Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was thinking of buying a 2012 800 summit x 154 but i have only owned trail sleds all my life. Can someone tell me the problems i may have trail riding this sled. Can you trail ride this sled or will it damage it . Any info would help me, need to make a decision soon

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If all you do is trail ride, I wouldn't get a summit.. more info on trail/off trail % would be good and your location.

Its geared lower, so more bottom end vs top speed, the 36" wide front end vs your common 42" trail sled might be a little tippy for you if just plan to trail ride. Might need ice scratchers for extra snow for that huge track/lugs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If it's your only sled, I'd say you'd be better off passing and getting a cross over. It you pick your sled for the day and leave the Mtn sled for off trail and new deep snow days, then great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Located most riding is central Mi, some Upper peninsula riding as well. I try to ride off trail as much as i can but usually its trail. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are buying it to just trail ride I would say no. There are more capable trail sleds out there. If you are looking to boondock, trail ride an make a trip or two to the mountains each year I would say yes. Big paddles and long track on a hard packed trail you will run into cooling issues. A 154 does ok on the trails but you get a little push in the corners and yes they are geared to dig and not race trails. Just my 2 cents worth. I love my 154 but don't really trail ride.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Trail all day+ summit= no fun. Yes you can do it and if you take it easy and enjoy the scenery it's not too bad. With all that real estate behind you it pushes pretty bad in corners. Our crew prob averages 15 mi. per day of trail riding to and from our play areas and thats more than enough for me. Be honest with yourself with where you see yourself mostly and you'll make the right choice. If your friends can't ride with you because they have trail sleds then it's no fun and if you can't rip trails without stressing then it's not fun either. Get the summit and keep the trail sled too!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've put 500 trail miles on my 15 summit sport 800. it makes things interesting. that's for sure. it is fun and challenging. we just haven't gotten a ton of snow yet here in north western ontario.. so trail and lake riding is all I've got ????

·
Registered
118 Posts
Surely you're not thinking of buying a mountain sled to do purely trail riding? Lol obviously thats not a good idea. You're looking for deep snow backcountry riding right? In a nutshell you just gotta think seriously about the depth of the snow you're riding, if you're gonna find snow deep enough to use that thing you're fine, if the snow's shallow and hard, it's not going to work, you'll tear lugs off the track, damage the skid, find it too unstable etc. I know guys that take Summits down trails, they'll get you there, just, but people don't buy them for trail riding. All down to the depth of the snow whether a Summit's going to work for you or not.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What's you definition of off trail riding?

Two tracks, seasonal roads, open fields?
Power lines, hill climbing, side hilling?

Do you have someone to ride with that wants to ride off trail?

I had an 08 600 Renegade put a 1.75 track and geared it down and was able to do all the above. The main limiting factor was the 600. I had to be on the throttle hard when hill climbing. I had to know my line and hit it. If I had an 800 Gade I would probably still be riding it. When I bought the gade I did mostly trail riding. Then modified it as I kept doing more and more off trail.

I bought a 16 Summit 800 146" this year. Far better sled then the Renegade for off trail. I swapped out the front arms and shocks for a 42" stance. It trails very well this way. I have no problem keeping pace. The 2.5" track hooks up and stops much better then the 1.25" and 1.75" tracks. No studs in the Summit any iced out corners, trail or ice pack roads can be dangerous. I have not had to put the scratchers down on the trails with good base. I have run the road from White Fish point down to Paradise. With the scratchers down I had normal temps and no signs of hyfax wear.

If you're looking to buy new. The Summit is a lot cheaper then a Renegade in Michigan. Leader Marine was far cheaper then the 5 other dealers that I had called. Plus there price was a set price.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Go ahead and buy it. All your buddies will envy you. I got a freeride 154 trail ride it no problem but I also race motocross so know how to manuver it in the woods. Definetly put some scratchers on it. I do have a trail sled for the 250 mile days when the group wants giver lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
they dont call it a mountain sled for nothing. if your gonna strictly ride trails but get off trail once in a while, go with a renegade backcountry X with a 1.75'' track.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I went back and forth with the same dilemma. But in the end I bought a 146 Summit X 800.
Best decision I ever made. Have no problems riding it on the trail. Its a little more "squirrely" than a Gade on your first ride, but after some time behind the bars, it's really un-noticeable. Off trail, there's no comparison vs a Gade. Summit is night and day difference for the better.

Brought some newbies to Paradise a couple weeks ago....rode about 160 miles...all trails....had ZERO issues. Only dropped the scratchers twice on a logging road. However, if you are a lake racer or looking for rail bed top speed. Don't buy a Summit.

Bottom Line.....my 146 Summit X is the most fun, most capable sled I have ever owned! I'll never go back to a Gade.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went back and forth with the same dilemma. But in the end I bought a 146 Summit X 800.
Best decision I ever made. Have no problems riding it on the trail. Its a little more "squirrely" than a Gade on your first ride, but after some time behind the bars, it's really un-noticeable. Off trail, there's no comparison vs a Gade. Summit is night and day difference for the better.

Brought some newbies to Paradise a couple weeks ago....rode about 160 miles...all trails....had ZERO issues. Only dropped the scratchers twice on a logging road. However, if you are a lake racer or looking for rail bed top speed. Don't buy a Summit.

Bottom Line.....my 146 Summit X is the most fun, most capable sled I have ever owned! I'll never go back to a Gade.....
I second that! My 2014 summit 146 etec800 is the most fun and scary sled I have owned. Its no polaris switchback assault my any means but where I found the switchback to be lacking the summit excels. When I needed that little more power on my polaris, my summit pulls through. Where the wide stance was a pain to throw over, The summit just falls over on its side! BUT it goes both ways. The summit is tippy on the trails and they can be a handful in tight places where you cant lean it over. It definitely pushes more then a cross over. Ultimately it is your money and you have to hop on it and love it. Every sled has its pro's and cons.

Reactions: Corrupted

·
Registered
522 Posts
Go with the summit. Not bad on trail at all. It won't push at all if you tighten the rear pre-load up one. You'll keep up on the trail, and you'll love it off trail guaranteed!

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's makes to much sense. Way more fun to spend thousands of dollars off the opinion of people you have never met on the Internet!

Side note most guys come to a consensus and it's for a reason. You should trust us buy a summit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts