Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles is too many on an SDI? It sounds like a good deal 2005 MXZ 600 SDI with 12,000 miles. Guy takes excellent care of it, lots of preventative maintenance. What do you think?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont know if its been opened up but if it hasnt how cheap? He has is for less than NADA value thats what has me interested. But the mileage is a little scary.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Post the price.....are we supposed to guess and give you our recommendations?

It had better be half of NADA with that mileage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is asking 2500 said he would go a little lower, NADA is 3100 Low retail and about 4100 average. Thanks

·
"The most hated man on DooTalk"
20,506 Posts
That's a LOT of miles for any sled. To be honest I wouldn't even think about buying that thing. Even if you got it for a grand you'd almost being throwing the money away.

Have any bearings been inspected/replaced? How many miles on top/bottom end?

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
That's a LOT of miles for any sled. To be honest I wouldn't even think about buying that thing. Even if you got it for a grand you'd almost being throwing the money away.

Have any bearings been inspected/replaced? How many miles on top/bottom end?
Zero info to go on here....

I say pass now.

·
20,506 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
The question is , do you like it well enough to spend another $1500.+ at some point? They are a great sled, but nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
NADA does not take mileage into account when pricing. Its not worth $1500 as is. Figure a new long block in there and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
The guy kept it too long and should be willing to eat a lot of it.........and he should know that also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ITs a 2006 motor has never been open, he just put 1400 miles on it last trip to the UP a few weeks ago. He sounds like he is religous with maint, Clean raves every spring, chain case oil every spring etc. If the compression test is good and he has replaced other wear items do you think its worth it or just walk away? Definately dont want to get it and put a new engine in it within the next season or so. Thanks.

·
20,506 Posts
Regardless of maintenance history your always rolling the dice,especially with something that high in miles. Maybe offer him a grand, but if you don't want to offend him walk away. For that much you can find something with much lower mileage.

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
It's an 05 with an 06 motor? what happened to the original motor?

The dude must ride a lot to go through one motor and then put 12K on another motor after.

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,567 Posts
I would say if you can get it for 1k............ pick it up.............. if she does blow up, you can easily part it out and make money on it.... 12k is a lot of miles, but I know a few folks who have cracked almost 20k on those small cc sleds....

Again, what is up with the 06 motor in the 05 if he has never had any issues............

if you choose not to pick it up, please pm me and I would like the info from the fella............... thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you ride easy and just enjoy trail riding, sounds like a good deal. if you ride aggressive and on the edge, stay away. I ride easy and my 05 has 12k miles. Just did the bottom end on it, rest of the sled is in great condition.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the confusion, it is an 06 sled, i wrote 05 in the original post. I would day this sled will see 99% trail riding 40-60 mph some playing off in powder but not a whole lot. I was thinking that a top end isnt too pricy so even if i picked it up and did a top end this summer it would be ok, but it sounds like it should have the crank bearings done too. Thanks for the input, i knew if i put it on here i would get some good info/advise.

·
Registered
242 Posts
FWIW my '07 600SDI just ate a crank bearing at 7100 mi.

Well maintained, not beaten, just ridden.

Sounds like in most cases they're good for ~10k. After that it's just luck.

If you think that the cost of the sled +$1500. is still a good deal, go for it.

If not, walk away and find one with a lot less miles on it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts