Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the shocks out of the rear skid and they seem to be ok. They compress with consistent resistance and rebound smoothly to full stroke. Is there any way you can know for sure if the shocks are ok?? I don't want to put them back in if they need replacing (3500 miles), but don't want to buy replacements if they are ok.

thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
On my 04 gade I could not get my coupling blocks centered even with the torsion springs turned up to no.4 I weigh 175lbs. I replaced rear shock with a new one and that solved that problem. With the old shock it would compress and return smoothly also but with less pressure applied to it than the new one. I put both on a bathroom scale to see what the difference was, old shock would start to compress at about 38 to 40lbs. The new one at 75lbs. A big difference between the two shocks. I asked a couple of dealers and shock experts to tell me how they can tell if a shock is going bad or not, and I'm not talking about the obvious failers like leaking oil and such. They had no answer, just that would sell me a new set for my front end for which I'm now trying to see if they need to be replaced. The only thing that I have seen from ski-doo is to stick them in the freezer for about 4 hours and see if they will compress and extend normally, the only difference I found on my old shock is that it was only a few more pounds to do so. I wish I could give you a direct answer but I can't seem to get one myself. I did test my front end shocks and one starts to compress at 45lbs and the other at 50lbs this is of course without springs. Lets hear from tweener or another shock rebuilder.

·
Registered
173 Posts
3500 miles it's time to rebuild them i had one set done on my sled with 2000 miles and thes make my sled with 600 miles look like they are filled with gravy do your self a favor rebuild.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The bathroom scale is a decent test for initial compression, but unless you have a benchmark to compare it to(like when your shocks were new) its only a educated guess. At 3500 miles it is long past rebuild time IMO. The only true way to tell is to take the shock apart and look.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i did the same thing, my sled would not rebound, so i took the rear shocks out (4500 miles) and took them to the dealer. there was strong resistance when pushing them in and the came back out steady. the dealer look at them and said they where ok. he said the shocks are for absorbing the bumps and the spring is to rebound the suspension. so then end result is that i need new springs if the slead wont rebound. none in stock so i have to order. at 4500 miles i would have thought the shocks would have been done. they have taken a hell of a beating. hope this helps

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you push down shocks and they go in slowly and rebound slowly they are fine. If they bounce like a pogo stick they are worn out. You'll know what I mean if they are bouncy, just like a pogo stick.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The above response is incorrect. The only way to measure shock performance is on a shock dyno. It measures force versus shaft speed both compression and rebound. Just because it moves smoothly by hand does not mean the shock is ok.

·
Skidoo'in Fool
4,099 Posts
think mine are wasted after the first trip. 520 miles a few miles of moguls but was like riding a pogo stick and even with the springs to the max pre load the blocks don't center unles I am standing next to it. Thinking of better shocks has hpg-vr in the rear but for the price of the x package shocks or ohlins or fox I might as well buy an m-10 and have a way better ride. yeah the fronts don't seem to be right either way bouncy blows new sled not even 600 miles didn't jump it more than 2 foot off the ground the trails were beat in spots but nothing that shoudl have killed them after a 240 mile in one day ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.