Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time this year I had the bolts on the front skid shock mount(the ones on the bottem that go into the shaft) shear off. It's a 03 440 and it was the 2nd race since all shocks were rebuilt.

The first time one bolt was gone and the others head sheared off, this time both heads sheared. The hole in the rail on one side is very slightly ovaled out and a little beat up like the bolt may have banged around in there as it came out.

Anybody have this prob and do you think that the hole being a little oval would cause it to move slightly under sno-x conditons and eventually shear off and if so any suggestions on a fix without replacing the entire rail?

Thanks,
Tortuga

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Tortuga-
I would pull the skid, completely disassemble the moving parts and check for bent stuff. Anything that is belt will have a negative effect on surrounding parts and cause parts to break and bend. For example, a bent rear arm can change the amount of leverage on the rear shock and make it act soft, then when you land off a jump it puts mega force on the lower center shock shaft because the rear shock is not doing its job completely.

As for the ovalled hole, you can weld it over and redrill it or replace the rail. I would not mess around and settle for a half way repair. If you do not get the lower shock mount axle square and straight, you can break the center shock shaft and that is way expensive.

TW

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Tom White said:
Tortuga-
I would pull the skid, completely disassemble the moving parts and check for bent stuff. Anything that is belt will have a negative effect on surrounding parts and cause parts to break and bend. For example, a bent rear arm can change the amount of leverage on the rear shock and make it act soft, then when you land off a jump it puts mega force on the lower center shock shaft because the rear shock is not doing its job completely.

As for the ovalled hole, you can weld it over and redrill it or replace the rail. I would not mess around and settle for a half way repair. If you do not get the lower shock mount axle square and straight, you can break the center shock shaft and that is way expensive.

TW
[snapback]725434[/snapback]​
Yes Tom is correct. What I did when I had a SC-3 skid (BTW, they are ALL notorious for this failure) I reinforced that hole with a plate and then safety wired the socket head cap screws right to rail so there was no way for them to loosen up.
I also hardened the shaft that holds the center shock lower mount.. The shafy from Doo is soft. To heat treat it just heat it up red hot with a torch and then quench it in a bucket of water. The shaft WILL bend if left soft unless you ride real easy. For Sno-X I would highly recommend heat treating that shaft....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know if you'd actually be able to find any of the originals, actually it wouldn't matter they were just a small piece of plate. Anyways when the 04's came out they handed out these little plates that you welded on to where the holes in the skid were to help solve this problem. Them also sent then out to the dealers, I know that my dealer (Quad City Motorsports in Virginia, MN) had a bunch of them and obviously extra because I picked up some at race school for them too, but I don't know if he'd still have any around. I don't remember the thickness but it was just a piece of steel with a hole in it the shape of the tab that mounting holes are in anyways. It just increased the contact area between the bolt and the mount.
I never had any problems with the SC-3 in my 04 but I had that done before the sled ever had any gas in it. I even had my 800 motor in their last year.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Not sure if you are refferring to the oval shaped pieces of steel that rivet on the insides of the rails to reinforce the hole, but these are included stock. If yours are missing, then by all means replace them.

I have not seen anything that welds onto the aluminum rail to make it stronger.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tom White said:
Not sure if you are refferring to the oval shaped pieces of steel that rivet on the insides of the rails to reinforce the hole, but these are included stock. If yours are missing, then by all means replace them.

I have not seen anything that welds onto the aluminum rail to make it stronger.
[snapback]727517[/snapback]​
Tom i'm pretty sure he was refering to the tabs that you have to weld to the rear suspension arm where the shock bolts to. I've just recently ( last week ) had those tabs rip right off my rear suspension arm in the first lap of my second race for the finals. I just got my new arm and it already comes with those extra tabs welded to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts