Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 Summit 154 and debating between the SP or X package and only real consideration for me is the shocks. I've only just got into boondocking in the last couple years and not super aggressive. I don't take big jumps or anything like that, just get little air here and there off things but nothing bigger than like 10 to 15 foot drops. I also only keep my sleds two years usually around 1500 miles then sell them. Coming from a 2015 Renegade BCX but I don't like trail riding anymore. I know all the other differences between the sp and x, better resale, bars, etc.... this is just about the shocks.

So the question is, is the $500 extra for the X package shocks worth it for my riding style and knowing I'm not going to rebuild them anyway? Or for the $500 savings and whatever I can get selling the new take offs from the SP is there a reasonably priced shock upgrade option that would make more sense on the SP? What are a set of all new SP shocks worth?

Any input would be appreciated!

·
It's me!
718 Posts
I've got the X package and have never rebuilt my shocks and don't intend to before I get a new sled. So no, I wouldn't spend the extra money. Now if you were comparing an SP to a Freeride then that's another topic because the Freeride shocks have much more capability and adjustments, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing. I'd take that $500 and install electric start!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Both I'm considering have electric start. Just don't know if I should get the SP and leave as is, get the X and leave as is for $500 more, or get the SP and sell the shocks new and upgrade the shocks to something better with the $500 savings and whatever the SP shocks are worth?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 16 sp and do about the same as you, mostly boondock in the UP. I don't mind the sp shocks, they work great for that type of riding in my opinion. I never rode an X, but I don't feel like I will ever need to upgrade these.

·
Registered
399 Posts
save the 500 from the x and valve the sp shocks.. you will love them.. only the xrs/freeride has a real upgrade in shocks..

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Upgrade to the x. Shocks are crazy priced. You would spend $1500 on a good set of shocks easily. So the $500 extra isn't a bad option.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up finding a 16 summit 154 X T3 Estart with red / black / green combo dealership owner demo with 300 miles that still qualifies for the rebate and 0% for 60 months. It has fuel caddy, skid plate, sea level calibration kit in it already. It's about $100 cheaper than I can get a new 154 sp black for so I figured with the added benefits of the T3 package, better shocks, better handlebars, lighter weight, etc that would be the way to go. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ps- anyone interested in buying the 15 BCX 2.25"? See video below. Also now has Rassmusen front bumper. PM me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts