Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here we go again......my son just baught a 2011 800 XRS E-TEC. The sled is 1,000 miles away. I figured it would be cheaper to have the sled shipped than take the two days and drive the 2000 miles. My problem.....not sure if I trust the frieght companies.

Have any of you used a frieght company? If so....which one? Good luck....bad luck? A friend of mine sugjested Fed X. I thought he was joking, but he was serious. I have not yet had any time to research the different frieght companies. I figured someone out there in DOO-TALK world may have a qick answer for me and save me the research.

Thanks,
Tod

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
You're son should pay the gas to go get it. I have never shipped a sled tho. Would be scared of the charges. Would be cheaper probably if you knew someone with a semi. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Post where your at and where the sled is. Also go the the some of the vintage sled sites and ask as there are people there that move sleds. I've used some of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i dont know if this would work with sleds, but i used to race oval karts and you could ship them on bus lines (such as greyhound) for relatively cheap. but check that for sure

·
Registered
260 Posts
Uship.com and only accept bids from insured carriers for the peace of mind. And check their history on the site. Many have great reviews.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
$450....gas
$90.....motel room
$125....cheesy truckstop meals
2000 mile ride with your son.....priceless

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
There will be a bunch of people that probably can move the sled. The A-1 vintage snowmobile show will be held the 4th & 5th of November in New Lothrop, MI. This is an extremely big vintage show, probably 2nd behind Waconia. A lot of people from MN & WI come to this show among other states and Canada. You could try to post an ad on vintagesleds.com asking who is going. Hopefully you can find someone able to do it or get it closer to you. There might even be someone traveling sooner that can do it. It's worth a try, the least your out is a post. I have had sleds moved from as far away as Alaska to MI.

I have also used freight companies with good and bad luck. One time, so much as it cost a friendship with someone and the end result was I still had to rely on my vintage sledhead friends to move it.

It's a thought and good luck

Oh, New Lothrop is about 50 miles from Kawkawlin. Maybe the person selling the sled can hook up with the person bring it back. Then you just have to get it from them.

·
Super Moderator
1,111 Posts
I have had a great experience using uship.com I had a motorcycle picked up in Florida and delivered to me in upstate new york for under $300
good luck

·
Can Thread Patrol
3,971 Posts
Kawkawlin, MI to Fargo, ND
Im about 15 minutes north of kawkawlin, i went and looked at the sled because a buddy was thinking about buying it. VERY clean, real nice sled....if it were me, i would get a few buddies together and split up the driving, I wouldnt ship it

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Two days off from work....$$$$

Two days off from school....?????
Thought maybe you'd have Sat and Sun to do it. I once picked up a car 800 miles one way with my son. Left Friday right after he got out of school. Made it back Sun with plenty of time for sleep and school Monday. I will admit most was interstate and we could cruise. Would have been faster but we had to go around Chicago where they have two seasons, winter and construction!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I shipped my IQr from central NY to Utah through Land Air Express.. cost was $300. I went to a dealership. Grabbed an old crate, took the skis off, wrapped it and senr it.. purchaser said it came perfect with no problems or dings

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you use uship, be sure you know if you are dealing with a broker or private carrier. My past experiences with uship have seen a lot of brokers that bid the job and don't have a truck contracted to do the hauling. It causes some delays if that's OK with you. I have had some good luck using them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I would update this thread.

The sled showed up....no dents digs....like new condition. The shippers...Paula&jay on uship.com ..... were very nice people and easy to deal with. I highly recomend them. Their email and phone are...

[email protected]

phone 920-427-1132

Thnks,
Tod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts