Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up a 2020 BCX with the 1.6 Ice Cobra. I primarily plan to ride trails here in Ontario and play off trail here and there where I can, but me and some buddies are planning a trip out to the Chic Choc mountains next winter and I feel the 1.6 track won't quite be enough. I'm curious how much I would need to modify the sled in order to make it better for the deep powder. We would probably only do 1 or 2 trips so I'm not looking to buy a new track or other parts unless I have to. Hopefully some other members have been out there and can shed some light on what it's like out there. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Do I try to find a used 2" powder max track and would it be enough? I ordered the removable snowflap kit for it

2. Is it possible to install a 2.5" track or do the tunnel protectors have to come out and drivers need to be changed as well?

3. I found a 2017 154 summit being parted out on kijiji, track looks in good shape in the photos. Does the T-motion skid bolt right into the the backcountry tunnel or is there differences in the mounting locations? And I assume to run the 154 track tunnel protectors need to come out and same with the drivers

4. I assume I would need to gear it down to run a deeper lug track, gearing would be dependent on the track I decide to run correct?

5. Am I good to leave the clutching stock or would I need lighter weights for the elevation change?

Or would I be better off just renting a proper mountain to avoid all this hassle? Lol

·
Registered
2022 Backcountry X Blue/Orange
90 Posts
Probably unpopular opinion, but I would leave the 1.6" in. Have the standard 1.6 (non Ice Cobra), and I'm constantly amazed at the things it will do and places it will take me. The only trail riding I do, is out to the backcountry, and then it is all off trail for me. I haven't ridden a 2", so have no comparison there.

I considered ordering the 2" this year, but had no complaints with my 1.6" this year, and thought I'd stay with the 1.6" as it still allows me to have fun when the snow isn't the greatest. For the deeper days, I ordered the removable snow flap too, just to see how much difference that will make.

Clutching wise, you'll most likely need lighter weights. I was coming up short on RPMs this year when riding in the 6-9k feet range. Having the dealer swap the '22 I ordered over to all high elevation components from the get go.

I'd take the Backcountry instead of renting. They're a very capable off trail machine, and handle well on the trails out to the steep and deep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably unpopular opinion, but I would leave the 1.6" in. Have the standard 1.6 (non Ice Cobra), and I'm constantly amazed at the things it will do and places it will take me. The only trail riding I do, is out to the backcountry, and then it is all off trail for me. I haven't ridden a 2", so have no comparison there.

I considered ordering the 2" this year, but had no complaints with my 1.6" this year, and thought I'd stay with the 1.6" as it still allows me to have fun when the snow isn't the greatest. For the deeper days, I ordered the removable snow flap too, just to see how much difference that will make.

Clutching wise, you'll most likely need lighter weights. I was coming up short on RPMs this year when riding in the 6-9k feet range. Having the dealer swap the '22 I ordered over to all high elevation components from the get go.

I'd take the Backcountry instead of renting. They're a very capable off trail machine, and handle well on the trails out to the steep and deep.
Awesome, that's good to know! This backcountry is my ever Ski doo and first two stroke in a long time, my last sled was a tuned sidewinder. I did a trip out to Revelstoke and decided it was time to get a fun lightweight crossover sled

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
I have a BCX with the 1.75" hurricane track on it. I would bet that track is better than the 2" powdermax. From someone who trail rides a 146" a LOT the 2" is too much track. When the trails are groomed the lugs are too soft and fold over on the hard trails the sled acts like your driving on glare ice. It will spin a lot and drift a lot. Personally the 146" with the 1.75" Hurricane track is the idea setup. Get yourself an ibackshift clutch kit many seasons have gone into perfecting it on THESE specific sleds with thousands of km logged by testers, tuners, and Joe himself.

Last time I was in Gaspe my Backcountry XRS with Joe's kit was perfect from sea level up into the mountains. No need to change anything,

·
Registered
410 Posts
My buddy might be selling his 2.3" track. He only put it in for his trips to Mont Valin. The 1.6 isnt enough track if all your buddies have 2" + tracks. He has since bought a Summit 154 to take on that trip instead of swapping tracks.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
My buddy might be selling his 2.3" track. He only put it in for his trips to Mont Valin. The 1.6 isnt enough track if all your buddies have 2" + tracks. He has since bought a Summit 154 to take on that trip instead of swapping tracks.
I'll have a brand new 2" out of the 22 Free ride I have coming. It will be a 154 though.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Took my backcountry to the chic chocs with a 2 inch, it gets you around but is not enough track for the snow they get imop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am I able to run a 2.5" track without taking out the tunnel protectors? And does anyone know if a 154 T-motion skid would bolt right in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a BCX with the 1.75" hurricane track on it. I would bet that track is better than the 2" powdermax. From someone who trail rides a 146" a LOT the 2" is too much track. When the trails are groomed the lugs are too soft and fold over on the hard trails the sled acts like your driving on glare ice. It will spin a lot and drift a lot. Personally the 146" with the 1.75" Hurricane track is the idea setup. Get yourself an ibackshift clutch kit many seasons have gone into perfecting it on THESE specific sleds with thousands of km logged by testers, tuners, and Joe himself.

Last time I was in Gaspe my Backcountry XRS with Joe's kit was perfect from sea level up into the mountains. No need to change anything,
Do you run any screw in studs on the top of the lugs? I've read lots about the hurricane track and will change over to one once the 1.6 is shot

146"? and in good shape still?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I was there with my 137 ice cobra and was basically neutered. I would think more lug would be necessary than the 1.6.
Good way to put it :) The same here , i was with a group of 146'' " BCs (4) ... Found my 1.6''x 15'' wide was no match for a 2.0'' x 16'' wide when the snow is bellybutton deep for miles

·
Banshee Builder
7,821 Posts

x2

bought my second 1.75 hurricane track after getting 10,000 happy miles out of the first one. this track with some extra clutching make a backcountry a deadly 146 sled

·
Registered
72 Posts
As everyone else has said, I don’t think the 1.6” will cut it. If you’ve never been it’s a different snow than Ontario gets. It’s bottomless I had trouble tree riding there with my 146 2.5” summit. Clutching won’t need to be changed I had sea level in my summit and didn’t notice a difference in the mountains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a guy on Kijiji parting out a 2017 154 summit, said he would sell me the track, T-motion and seat for $1500. I assume the T-motion would bolt right into the backcountry tunnel, essentially turning it into a 154 expert with a slightly wider front end

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I would forgo the t- motion and get a narrower front end instead. That would give you more benefit off trail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts