Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get a 2nd Key (backup) for 850eTec?

What did your dealer charge for key programming service?

My dealer said be almost 2 hours at $100/hour plus key price. WTF?

This sounds crazy to me! Connecting up sled to the Doo programmer and setting key up should only take 5 minutes in my mind, so charge me an hour.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dealership gave me mine for free when I picked up my 2020. I think it’s usually around $100 for key with programming. If I’m not mistaken key is around $65.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My dealer did for free after buying the key and some grumbling back and forth with them about it. Took longer for the computer to boot up than program the key. Whole thing was less than 5 minutes.

Reactions: RX7MachZ

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I agree with everything said above!! My dealer always includes a second key for free when i buy a new sled. As far as programming one, 2 hrs is a complete rip off!! I have bought keys at other dealers and they both charged me the price of the key and programmed it for free. Like said above, it takes longer for the laptop to boot up than it does to program a key and they can do it on a sled while its still in the back of your truck or trailer. Find a new dealer!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I bought one key as a spare ( around $65 ) dealer then programmed the spare , my key and my wife's to work on both snowmobiles for free.

·
Registered
102 Posts
At my shop, if we are all ready working on the sled, no charge for programming.

If it is ONLY in for a key, $25.00 flat fee, plus price of a key.

If customer wants a spare at the time they are purchasing the sled, no fee AND discount on the key.

I can't imagine being able to sleep at night if I told a customer it was a two hour job to program a key........

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Unless there is more to the story and you are a PITA customer and they are trying to get rid of you, that seems ridiculous. I have bought numerous keys and had them programmed to multiple machines and vice versa, and I have never been charged a penny for it.

Provided you bought the machine and spare key at said dealer, it has been my experience that programming is included in the key price.

FWIW, I would have not problem paying for their time, but I have been involved in the key programming process and it is not a $200 job. Since each dealer is independent and can (basically) charge what they want, I would vote with my dollars and drive to another dealer and explain the situation and see what they say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just bought a spare DESS of my 900ACE, watched the guy program it in front of me - literally took less than 5 minutes. My dealer charges $49 for the key and $20 for the programming.

Maybe the 850 is different...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts