Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
And...here.....we.....go.......
Joined
·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO OFFEND ANYONE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR BASHING PURPOSES!!!!

I have always wanted to visit Canada, but have never gone. However, I am reconsidering after a friend of mine took a mini-vacation in Montreal. He and his wife were treated poorly, insulted, and made fun of at a restaurant because they are American, and I guess it must've been pretty obvious.
This leads me to my question: How do Canadians view Americans, what are the stereotypes, and have you found them to be true?

Growing up in a predominantly French-Canadian area, most of my life has been spent with people who either were from Canada, or had family there. My wife, although American born, is from a Canadian family (Nova Scotia). However, growing up, the stereotype of Canadians (for those of us who aren't) was that they are hardworking people, but poorly educated. They have large, close knit families that stick together but fight like cats and dogs. They are hardheaded and strong willed, to the point of a fault, but very generous. They love their country. They are quick to defend it, and have pride in their heritage.
I have found, through my own experience, that some of the stereotypes are true. My wife's family is generous, hard working, and very family-oriented.

All my life I have sort of viewed Canada as our "half-brother" to the north, a country that is probably as close to the US in culture as there is. But with the recent treatment my friend Stan got in Montreal, I am wondering how Canadians view Americans as a whole.

I have been told that Americans are viewed as arrogant, pushy, always in a hurry, and that they have more money than brains.

Please, no bashing......but having never been to another country, and Canada being my first choice, I'd like to know what the stereotypes that I may encounter will be.

Jerry
 

·
ITs WINTER!
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
I think the problem was they went to montreal.... *cough*french *cough* j/k


But seriously, even a english canadian cant get the time of day out of a french over there....

Should try coming out west, better sledding here alyways!
 
G

·
There was a poll done sometime last year on CTV that show canada`s view of Americans had fall quite some bit.And it`s just not Canada but the world in general that has a lesser view of the U.S. Before Bush got in Americans were respect and their society and culture was something we all strove to imitate,Sadly though recent events like the Iraq war and the prison torture abuse scandal have turned that image to one of being tarnished I have great respect for the American people and their culture and one day I hope that image can be turned around and The U.S will once again be the shinning example for the rest of the world to follow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I think most Canadian's stereotype Americans as arrogant and pushy just like you said. Very similar to the stereotype english speaking Canadians attach to french-Canadians. I'm from Toronto and some Montrealer's treat me that way. I have fun with it though, I never go to Montreal without my Leaf's Jersey. Don't let a few bad apples ruin it for you, come on up and stay for awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Gotta agree with renegade on this one,was there playing hockey last year and people were rude to our whole group,everywhere we went to was the same thing. Would never go back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
500ss man said:
There was a poll done sometime last year on CTV that show canada`s view of Americans had fall quite some bit.And it`s just not Canada but the world in general that has a lesser view of the U.S. Before Bush got in Americans were respect and their society and culture was something we all strove to imitate,Sadly though recent events like the Iraq war and the prison torture abuse scandal have turned that image to one of being tarnished I have great respect for the American people and their culture and one day I hope that image can be turned around and The U.S will once again be the shinning example for the rest of the world to follow!
[snapback]716165[/snapback]​
Dude.....don't blame Bush for the decline in US respect. We haven't had a less than corrupt politician in the office in a very very long time.

I grew up 10 minutes from Canada and can tell you that I was always treated fairly (especially since Canadian businesses like the green stuff) except for the rare times I was anywhere in Quebec. Unless you speak or atleast understand French don't get lost. My buddy and I were lost in Montreal and went up to a couple that were speaking English and we asked where the CFL staduim was and they answered us in French and French only. My buddy punched this jackass right in the kisser. This guys girl told us exactly how to get to the stadium after that.

 

·
Fanny
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Oh Man Wait til we get one of the Quebec(ers) in here.
I agree 100% Even as a Canadian we dont get wonderful treatment over there.
Its not everywhere just some people. Different Folks Different Strokes. I dont know if theres an area you can say will give someone better treatment when its the same all over the world In one Store there will be someone who loves Canadian in another HATES Canadians...
What I think you need to look into is hooking up with a Canadian on here you Feel you would like to meet find lodging or hey if they can manage it maybe host you.....
Go around there and play. But Im with ya on the west of Quebec...... cause thats where I live


I on a personal note.....
I strongly believe that for as close as our country's are.... we really need to get rid of this whose better crap. I mean ok Canada and Asia..... not connected in land format. SO ok maybe not such a big deal. But Usa and Canada are neighbors and Id really just like for both sides to be more supportive of each other.

Your welcome here! Cant speak for anyone else in the city


Hope you can find somewhere great to go
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
When in Quebec, you have to make some attempt at trying to speak their language. I was in Montreal in 1989 for a Formula One race and had a heck of time, as I made no effort to speak any French.

Snowmobiling in Quebec I have made an effort to try and speak a few words of French and have never had a problem.

I had for guys here from near Buffalo, and they found they were treated very well wherever they went. They had no issues with the motel or restaurant staff, and one of them even sent a thank you to the motel on my behalf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,072 Posts
500ss man said:
There was a poll done sometime last year on CTV that show canada`s view of Americans had fall quite some bit.And it`s just not Canada but the world in general that has a lesser view of the U.S. Before Bush got in Americans were respect and their society and culture was something we all strove to imitate,Sadly though recent events like the Iraq war and the prison torture abuse scandal have turned that image to one of being tarnished I have great respect for the American people and their culture and one day I hope that image can be turned around and The U.S will once again be the shinning example for the rest of the world to follow!
[snapback]716165[/snapback]​
Don't let 500ssman's political rhetoric be your sole guide to how Canadians think about our American neighbors.
Honestly, I don't know where he gets this stuff from ...??!!!

My view of Americans hasn't changed in a global sense since Bush...I sometimes think too many people are a little OCD about the "Bush era", in my view who gets to turn the lights out in the White House doesn't have a damned thing to do with how the people living in the country act or are perceived by others.
However, since 9/11 my view of America has changed, but that's another story.

Yes, there are some common stereotypes of Americans, and Jerry you hit them right on the head. These are popularly held I think only because Hollywood perpetuates them and people believe what they see in movies..

It doesn't mean that everyone feels that way or thinks that's how Americans are...it's just a popular theory.

I was surprised about your misconception that Canadians are poorly educated...that one I've never heard before. And fight like cats and dogs ??? Where did that come from ??

I guess it just goes to show about stereotypes...they're often just myths.

As a kid growing up I thought every American had to carry a gun...it was like a law or something. Man, was I terrified when we went to Disneyland in 1970, and my Dad got lost driving around the LA area and we ended up in a predominately black neighborhood and everyone was staring at these scared white people in a Chevy Nova, I was sure we were going to get gunned down right there !!

I do agree about Quebec though, I've known some really great, friendly people there, but being an English-speaking minority in a lot of places in that province can get you nothing but grief.

Come to Canada, you'll find we're probably more like you and your friends than you think....especially up here in the NWT !!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
CustomRev said:
DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO OFFEND ANYONE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR BASHING PURPOSES!!!!

I have always wanted to visit Canada, but have never gone. However, I am reconsidering after a friend of mine took a mini-vacation in Montreal. He and his wife were treated poorly, insulted, and made fun of at a restaurant because they are American, and I guess it must've been pretty obvious.
This leads me to my question: How do Canadians view Americans, what are the stereotypes, and have you found them to be true?

Growing up in a predominantly French-Canadian area, most of my life has been spent with people who either were from Canada, or had family there. My wife, although American born, is from a Canadian family (Nova Scotia). However, growing up, the stereotype of Canadians (for those of us who aren't) was that they are hardworking people, but poorly educated. They have large, close knit families that stick together but fight like cats and dogs. They are hardheaded and strong willed, to the point of a fault, but very generous. They love their country. They are quick to defend it, and have pride in their heritage.
I have found, through my own experience, that some of the stereotypes are true. My wife's family is generous, hard working, and very family-oriented.

All my life I have sort of viewed Canada as our "half-brother" to the north, a country that is probably as close to the US in culture as there is. But with the recent treatment my friend Stan got in Montreal, I am wondering how Canadians view Americans as a whole.

I have been told that Americans are viewed as arrogant, pushy, always in a hurry, and that they have more money than brains.

Please, no bashing......but having never been to another country, and Canada being my first choice, I'd like to know what the stereotypes that I may encounter will be.

Jerry
[snapback]716125[/snapback]​
the problem with french canada doesnt only apply to americans , trust me .
the view of americans to me is as follows . i find most americans in the north to be the same as canadians even similar values from what i can gather from most web sites.
i feel sa stated that your president and his big stick policy is hurting the image you enjoyed in times past. being the school yard bully because your the biggest doesnt make it right. i have found in most cases when speaking to americans that most dont agree with bush and his policy. makes me wonder how he got in power.
one thing hasnt changed and i still admire it. your national pride. pride to be an american . i feel its something we could use more of in canada.

i didnt like some of your politicans comments regarding canada being like a retarded brother. you know hes there but ya dont pay much attenion to him.
i like the usa and most of the americans i have met.
 
G

·
papasled said:
500ss man said:
There was a poll done sometime last year on CTV that show canada`s view of Americans had fall quite some bit.And it`s just not Canada but the world in general that has a lesser view of the U.S. Before Bush got in Americans were respect and their society and culture was something we all strove to imitate,Sadly though recent events like the Iraq war and the prison torture abuse scandal have turned that image to one of being tarnished I have great respect for the American people and their culture and one day I hope that image can be turned around and The U.S will once again be the shinning example for the rest of the world to follow!
[snapback]716165[/snapback]​
Don't let 500ssman's political rhetoric be your sole guide to how Canadians think about our American neighbors.
Honestly, I don't know where he gets this stuff from ...??!!!

My view of Americans hasn't changed in a global sense since Bush...I sometimes think too many people are a little OCD about the "Bush era", in my view who gets to turn the lights out in the White House doesn't have a damned thing to do with how the people living in the country act or are perceived by others.
However, since 9/11 my view of America has changed, but that's another story.

Yes, there are some common stereotypes of Americans, and Jerry yoi hit them right on the head. These are popularly held I think only because Hollywood perpetuates them and people believe what they see in movies..

It doesn't mean that everyone feels that way or thinks that's how Americans are...it's just a popular theory.

I was surprised about your misconception that Canadians are poorly educated...that one I've never heard before. And fight like cats and dogs ??? Where did that come from ??

I guess it just goes to show about stereotypes...they're often just myths.

As a kid growing up I thought every American had to carry a gun...it was like a law or something. Man, was I terrified when we went to Disneyland in 1970, and my Dad got lost driving around the LA area and we ended up in a predominately black neighborhood and everyone was staring at these scared white people in a Chevy Nova, I was sure we were going to get gunned down right there !!

I do agree about Quebec though, I've known some really great, friendly people there, but being an English-speaking minority in a lot of places in that province can get you nothing but grief.

Come to Canada, you'll find we're probably more like you and your friends than you think....especially up here in the NWT !!


[snapback]716242[/snapback]​
Reveal Most Canadians Harbor Deep Hatred of Bush

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commentary ~ May 25, 2004: Canadians are renowned for being easy-going, friendly and polite. They usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt before forming an opinion. And they rarely hate anyone.

Except for George Bush, that is. Bush has managed to attract antipathy from the country known for its hospitality and friendliness towards Americans.

More than eight in 10 Canadians said they harbor a strong dislike for Bush, according to a recent Ipsos-Reid/CTV/Globe and Mail poll. In that survey, nearly half (45%) said they believe that Canada's current relationship with Bush is worse than the country has had with any other American president in history. Seven-in-ten (70%) Canadians say the United States doesn't care how its actions impact Canada, and 75 percent do not believe that the American president even has a good understanding of Canada or of the Canadian people.

The survey also found that 82 percent of Canadians polled agreed with the statement that Bush "is not necessarily a friend of Canada and doesn't really know anything when it comes to Canadian issues."

Maclean's, a national weekly, reported that only 15 percent of Canadians would vote for the Bush. The same magazine conducted a poll in which it found that 68 percent of Canadians say the U.S.'s global reputation has worsened over the last decade, while 38 percent say they feel more negatively about America since Sept. 11 (the biggest reasons cited are the war in Iraq and George Bush). When asked to pick a word that best describes Americans, the No. 1 response was "arrogant."

Another poll, from Zogby Research International, found that 72 percent are dead against the American occupation of Iraq. A Maclean's annual year-end poll found that 75 percent of Canadians believe Ottawa was right to refuse to commit troops to Iraq, even if it annoyed its closest trading partner.

But not in yellowknife right!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,072 Posts
500ss man said:
papasled said:
500ss man said:
There was a poll done sometime last year on CTV that show canada`s view of Americans had fall quite some bit.And it`s just not Canada but the world in general that has a lesser view of the U.S. Before Bush got in Americans were respect and their society and culture was something we all strove to imitate,Sadly though recent events like the Iraq war and the prison torture abuse scandal have turned that image to one of being tarnished I have great respect for the American people and their culture and one day I hope that image can be turned around and The U.S will once again be the shinning example for the rest of the world to follow!
[snapback]716165[/snapback]​
Don't let 500ssman's political rhetoric be your sole guide to how Canadians think about our American neighbors.
Honestly, I don't know where he gets this stuff from ...??!!!

My view of Americans hasn't changed in a global sense since Bush...I sometimes think too many people are a little OCD about the "Bush era", in my view who gets to turn the lights out in the White House doesn't have a damned thing to do with how the people living in the country act or are perceived by others.
However, since 9/11 my view of America has changed, but that's another story.

Yes, there are some common stereotypes of Americans, and Jerry yoi hit them right on the head. These are popularly held I think only because Hollywood perpetuates them and people believe what they see in movies..

It doesn't mean that everyone feels that way or thinks that's how Americans are...it's just a popular theory.

I was surprised about your misconception that Canadians are poorly educated...that one I've never heard before. And fight like cats and dogs ??? Where did that come from ??

I guess it just goes to show about stereotypes...they're often just myths.

As a kid growing up I thought every American had to carry a gun...it was like a law or something. Man, was I terrified when we went to Disneyland in 1970, and my Dad got lost driving around the LA area and we ended up in a predominately black neighborhood and everyone was staring at these scared white people in a Chevy Nova, I was sure we were going to get gunned down right there !!

I do agree about Quebec though, I've known some really great, friendly people there, but being an English-speaking minority in a lot of places in that province can get you nothing but grief.

Come to Canada, you'll find we're probably more like you and your friends than you think....especially up here in the NWT !!


[snapback]716242[/snapback]​
Reveal Most Canadians Harbor Deep Hatred of Bush

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commentary ~ May 25, 2004: Canadians are renowned for being easy-going, friendly and polite. They usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt before forming an opinion. And they rarely hate anyone.

Except for George Bush, that is. Bush has managed to attract antipathy from the country known for its hospitality and friendliness towards Americans.

More than eight in 10 Canadians said they harbor a strong dislike for Bush, according to a recent Ipsos-Reid/CTV/Globe and Mail poll. In that survey, nearly half (45%) said they believe that Canada's current relationship with Bush is worse than the country has had with any other American president in history. Seven-in-ten (70%) Canadians say the United States doesn't care how its actions impact Canada, and 75 percent do not believe that the American president even has a good understanding of Canada or of the Canadian people.

The survey also found that 82 percent of Canadians polled agreed with the statement that Bush "is not necessarily a friend of Canada and doesn't really know anything when it comes to Canadian issues."

Maclean's, a national weekly, reported that only 15 percent of Canadians would vote for the Bush. The same magazine conducted a poll in which it found that 68 percent of Canadians say the U.S.'s global reputation has worsened over the last decade, while 38 percent say they feel more negatively about America since Sept. 11 (the biggest reasons cited are the war in Iraq and George Bush). When asked to pick a word that best describes Americans, the No. 1 response was "arrogant."

Another poll, from Zogby Research International, found that 72 percent are dead against the American occupation of Iraq. A Maclean's annual year-end poll found that 75 percent of Canadians believe Ottawa was right to refuse to commit troops to Iraq, even if it annoyed its closest trading partner.

But not in yellowknife right!
[snapback]716249[/snapback]​
Try reading my post Brian, I didn't say Canadians LOVED Bush, I said how we feel about the American people, how they act, and how THEY are perceived, has nothing to do with who lives in the White House.
I don't particularly care for Mr. Bush either, but whether or not he's sitting in the Oval office has NOTHING to do with how I feel about the American people in a general sense.

Jeez, you fly off the handle faster than a paranoid schizophrenic at an al-Quaeda general meeting !!!

Lighten up with the stats and quotes, dude.

This is not a political debate, more a cultural discussion.

asskick.gif
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
I spent 15 years in the Canadian Military (CC130 Hercules crew) and was able to travel all over the world and I can tell you that it isn't just the Canadians that view Americans as arrogant and of the view that they are the biggest and best out there. I was even approached by American aircrew for Canadian Flag patches so that they could put it on their clothes and impersonate a Canadian to get better service or to simply feel "safer" in the country.

Have you ever compaired the American coverage of the Olympic to the Canadian coverage? In Canada you hear about all of the athletes and they even cover the events were Canada doesn't have a hope of winning but are still competeing. American coverage only talks about the American athletes and only covers events where they have a chance of winning.

Don't get me wrong...as far as I'm concerned we all get dressed one pant leg at a time...we simply have different values!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,516 Posts
CustomRev,

From a proud Canadian, I am sorry to hear about your friend's experience in Quebec. I suppose there are rude people everywhere, in every province and state. I have lived in Ontario most of my life; however, I have also lived in Upstate New York for about 4 years while going to school and my parents owned a place in Florida for almost three decades. I have also been to Quebec on many occasions. Thus, I may have a more realistic view than those who have never lived in the U.S.

Personally, I love both Canada and the U.S. and I consider all Americans my brothers and sisters. When I lived in the U.S., I found the American people to be very warm and friendly--not overly arrogant or rude. Certainly, if one were to make generalizations, I would say that Americans tend to be more extroverted with respect to their patriotism (for example, more visible flags etc) than Canadians but I believe we are equally patriotic about our country.

I would also say (another generalization) that Americans tend to be more extroverted and upfront in general than Canadians. I also heard a lot more about racial tensions and violence while living in the U.S. than what I was used to in Canada. Obviously, the larger population has something to do with this as well.
Other than that, I did not see or feel much difference in the people when I lived in the States.

Some people in Quebec love the U.S. and hate the rest of Canada....others hate both U.S. and Canada...and still others love Canada and hate the U.S.....you get the picture.....it's a bit more complicated to ask us (rest of Canada) what quebeckers feel because they are a unique people with ideas unique to their own province due to the large French-speaking crowd and the separatists movement within the province which is unlike any other province in Canada...They are not all bad people nor do they all hate Americans.....please don't let one bad experience brush us all with the same brush...

I love both countries...and look forward to visits their often to see all my buddies in and around Troy, NY...(RPI).... (my parents are in Florida right now!)....

So, Peace Brother...
.....and God Bless America...(and Canada)....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I went to thunder bay last year which is just north of the Minnesota border. 19 to drink, i was 19 and i drank and had a hell of a time with a bunch of Canadians i didnt know. They were very respectful and were interested in coming to the US. They did bash president Bush everytime they had the oppurtunity, but who cares, everyone has there opinions. Personally im not very political, i dont care what Bush is doing in the white house, i just want to drink, fight, screw, and snowmobile....ay

PS: I still dont get why Canadians say AY after everything, but its cool

02 MXZX 440
 
G

·
Misfits440 said:
I went to thunder bay last year which is just north of the Minnesota border. 19 to drink, i was 19 and i drank and had a hell of a time with a bunch of Canadians i didnt know. They were very respectful and were interested in coming to the US. They did bash president Bush everytime they had the oppurtunity, but who cares, everyone has there opinions. Personally im not very political, i dont care what Bush is doing in the white house, i just want to drink, fight, screw, and snowmobile....ay

PS: I still dont get why Canadians say AY after everything, but its cool

02 MXZX 440
[snapback]716318[/snapback]​
EH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,516 Posts
Misfits440 said:
PS: I still dont get why Canadians say AY after everything, but its cool

02 MXZX 440
[snapback]716318[/snapback]​


Hey 02 MXZX 440,

That's funny....I still don't get why Americans say 'uh-huh' after we say 'thank-you' for something.... instead of 'your welcome'.... but its' cool

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Hey take it easy, im not bashing anyone here, i just think its funny...i understand americans do a very similar thing...alot of people in northern minnesota say AY too...

02 MXZX 440
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
I think the U.S. is great...and I have found most Americans wonderful and friendly. I have some fond memories of riding with some Americans in the far Canadian North. As well, I always look forward to visiting the U.S.
I will also agree that many a times, I have heard people in Quebec do not go out of their way to assist English speaking Canadian, let alone talk with them. And dont even try to speak their language....because with broken French, they just laugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
QUOTE(Misfits440 @ Feb 14 2006, 06:21 PM)
PS: I still dont get why Canadians say AY after everything, but its cool

02 MXZX 440
The term EH? actually dates back to when Newfoundland joined Canada as a province. It is actually a short version of "What the F^*K did you just say?" And now that Newfies have invaded most parts of Canada we simply find ourselfs thinking "What the F^*K did you just say?" Everytime we are at a bar and we strike up a conversation with a couple of Newfies...we simply have to say EH?

Guess it has become a habit!
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top