Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a thread a few weeks ago chasing down a lean condition. I melted the same side down last year, rebuilt it a few weeks back and while trying to chase down why its running lean, I melted it down again. I started with 280s and went all the way to 360s with 0 change in either plug color (they are both the same color). I took it out for about a mile after switching to 360s, the egts stayed around 950-1100, I went to hit an end drive and when I landed, I pinned it and it bogged. I looked down and my egts were 2100ish and it was too late. I'm at a loss. Its a newly rebuilt motor, new seals, no leaks, new trail ecu, pj are functional, clean carbs, and 91 mixed 33:1. Also, I can't get my tps to relearn. Even with a 470ohm resistor. Keep in mind, these were a mile runs at a time to check plugs and jetting. I let it warm up 10 min each time also. I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hot start unplugged, boots are fine. Its a stock 600rs, and I was under the assumption, that they were fine to run 91. I'm not sure on the fuel pump I guess. Is there a way to test that? Obviously its getting fuel, so its working, but how can I tell if its getting enough?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
They are OK to run 91 but if the compression is too high itnwill need race fuel. To test the pump I just put the lines into two separate cups and pull it over a few times and compare how much fuel is in each. Should be real close to each other. Did you reuse your existing jugs or replace one or both?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that one side replated. Being they are both the same color, could the pump simply be weak? Also, how do I tell if the compression is to high to run pump gas. Im assuming a basic compression test won't tell me that. I have to rebuild it anyways, would a thicker base gaskets help this? Im running the .50 mm base gasket btw. Sorry for the dumb questions. I don't have a solid understanding of 2 strokes quite down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention, this was a factory mod sled. It now has 2-1 exhaust, trail ecu, and tps hooked back up. I don't know if that makes a difference

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Did you change the mod domes to low comp domes? And 160 psi is about the limit for pump fuel. The upper limit. Not sure on the base gasket. I always go by the squish and not so much the thickness of the base gasket. I've found it to be more reliable and its just what I'm more comfortable doing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The head that's on it doesn't have replaceable domes. So I never messed with them. I bought the sled as is, and put about 200 miles on it last year before I did any of the above, before it went. And it made it less then 10 miles this year, so I feel like it's a new issue. I will do a compression test once I rebuild it again. I'm trying to get an idea where to start before the same thing happens again.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Based on the fact it was only one side definitely pressure test it before tear down. Air leak or fuel leak. Do you have a pic of the head? The domes should pop out and have a stamp on them.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Pressure test before you do. Double check everything during disassembly. Seal condition, gasket surfaces, carb slides. Think of it like a crime scene and you have to find culprit. I had the corner of my carb slide chip off. Started to destroy the mag piston. But I shut it down before I ruined the cylinder. Also post some pics of the piston, cylinder, plugs, and head. See if the guru's on here will pop up lol!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts