Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right area but here it goes

So ive expanded & upgraded the fleet which includes a Triton 11x101 XT clam shell trailer

how do you secure the back of the sleds inside the trailer - I don't want to use "ratchet straps " which pull down on the bumper compressing the rear suspension

cheers

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Just another praise for SuperClamps....

Have a 2 hauler trailer and use SuperClamps front and rear to hold sleds on a trailer. I didn't put the rear hooks into the metal frame, which was a mistake. However, I lost control of my truck (very slick) and smacked up against a guard rail. Trailer hit really hard. One I regained control and stopped. The front SuperClamps held just fine, but the rears ripped the wood decking and the rear of both machines were moved about a foot over. The clamps held, it was my mistake to not do a better job of mounting the hooks (D-like loops).

I also like the fact that you can lock them on. Thus locking the snowmobile to the trailer.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I use a cam strap to the bumper. You can't tell me a few hours of trailering with the suspension a little bit compressed is going to hurt anything. Well, you can tell me that, and I can laugh in your face. I use a small bungee cord so I don't have to really cinch it too tight, and the bungees will make sure the hooks don't slip off the trailer eye bolt when the trailer bounces.

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Not sure if this is in the right area but here it goes

So ive expanded & upgraded the fleet which includes a Triton 11x101 XT clam shell trailer

how do you secure the back of the sleds inside the trailer - I don't want to use "ratchet straps " which pull down on the bumper compressing the rear suspension

cheers
I always used "ratchet straps " which pull down on the bumper compressing the rear suspension...

Works very well.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I found that the ratchet straps on the bumper only work well if you ratchet them all the way so the skid has no bounce left. Otherwise the sled can still bounce and move. Frost heaves here in the northeast are brutal and sometimes you just can't see them until you are on top of them.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I've always ratchet strapped off the rear bumper and drew down the suspension about 1/3-1/2 way. With that and a ski bar, I've never had any issues.
I use a ratchet on the front too. I buy the clips with keepers, that way if they loosen a bit they don't come off and you still get some hold. Doesn't happen often, seems when it's real cold.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've always ratchet strapped off the rear bumper and drew down the suspension about 1/3-1/2 way. With that and a ski bar, I've never had any issues.
Exactly, it's no different than tying down a motorcycle and compressing the front suspension.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have the superclamps for the skis and I use the d-rings with a strap to ratchet down the rear when traveling. Why take a chance. It’s not worth my sled and or trailer being damaged and definitely not worth ruining someone else’s day or life. I’ve looked into the superclamps for the rear but reading the mounting instructions you should be anchored into the frame. So I’m going to just stick with the d-rings. For the short time the rear suspension is compressed I’m not very concerned. However the superclamps for the front are well worth the money. Quick and easy to put in and take off. I don’t have the front man door on my trailer so getting up between the sleds to attach and unhook is now much much easier.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the superclamps for the skis and I use the d-rings with a strap to ratchet down the rear when traveling. Why take a chance. It's not worth my sled and or trailer being damaged and definitely not worth ruining someone else's day or life. I've looked into the superclamps for the rear but reading the mounting instructions you should be anchored into the frame. So I'm going to just stick with the d-rings. For the short time the rear suspension is compressed I'm not very concerned. However the superclamps for the front are well worth the money. Quick and easy to put in and take off. I don't have the front man door on my trailer so getting up between the sleds to attach and unhook is now much much easier.
I will be back plating my rear super clamps to the trailer super structure

cheers

·
Registered
475 Posts
Question for all you guys that use superclamps.

I have a V nose trailer and was wondering , Is there any issue driving over the mounting clamps for the front and rear with sleds that are studded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts