Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the procedure for measuring the preload on torsion springs in the secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I use a pair of vice grips clamped to the outside edge of the moveable sheave with a rag between the jaws and the sheave for padding. Then use a fish scale hooked to the vice grips rite at the edge of the sheave. Pull slowly on the scale until the sheave starts to move, note the reading. Then slowly ease up on the scale until the sheave starts to move back note that reading. Take the average of the two readings and that's your pretension.

I back the belt adjuster all the way out so the helix isn't rubbing against it to get a more consistent reading.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
X2 except I got a aluminum bar that I bolt to 2 of the helix bolts. Make sure you don't have the belt on and to back off your belt adjuster so it's not putting any pressure on the helix

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,652 Posts
Doo use to sell a tool that hooked to the back of the fins on the secondary for the old formula type of secondaries. I use my track tension tool to check #'s, easy to see if you use just pushing against the tool(or anything like mentioned above) as it has the o-ring on the scale so when it breaks the o-ring holds the setting. I set the parking brake to hold jackshaft from moving also. When I did'nt have the secondary checking tool I've use the needle nose type of vise grips and just slid some vinyl tubing over the jaws so as not to mar it.

-grover

Reactions: rockerdan

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yep I still use my old hook I used for yrs on my machs, works great. Same old fish scale i have used for yrs too.

Take the avrg of the pull and release numbers.

Dan
Hey rockerdan would you make one of your videos showlng this process for everyone on dootalk that is interested. Thanks

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Hey rockerdan would you make one of your videos showlng this process for everyone on dootalk that is interested. Thanks
Its funny the one thing I just assumed everyone knows about, turns out to be the one thing very few have done.lol

I think cause this is so old school, and we OLD farts were doing this back in 80s on our formula Plus and then the Machs.....lol

Will try to make up a video today :buddies:

Dan

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Its funny the one thing I just assumed everyone knows about, turns out to be the one thing very few have done.lol

I think cause this is so old school, and we OLD farts were doing this back in 80s on our formula Plus and then the Machs.....lol

Will try to make up a video today :buddies:

Dan
I typically run compression springs so it has been a non issue but have been thinking of trying some different torsion spring etc so thanks to you if you can get a video posted up for dootalkers

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
I typically run compression springs so it has been a non issue but have been thinking of trying some different torsion spring etc so thanks to you if you can get a video posted up for dootalkers
yeah before compression springs(not all that long ago) all we ever had were torsional...lol

uploading now as we speak, i have it posted into my build thread for future referencing for all.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1149097-rockerdans-1200x-build-thread-lots-of-technical-info-on-the-new/?p=15668689

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts