Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my restoration, the original secondary was an all steel rusty mess that was beyond rebuild. So I got a newer all aluminum secondary in perfect shape with the same shaft and spline count. It has a white spring in it. I do not know what the original 7500 spring was, it was a rusty mess.

Anyone have any recommendations for this newer secondary? Will the white one be one to try, or will it be too weak and shift too fast giving me a bog?

Any tips would be great.

The build is moving right along, looking for a little different (longer) rear shock right now as well. The original is quite short, and holds the skid closed too much. I'd like a little longer one to utilize the travel better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
the white spring will work fine at 13lbs on a fish scale pull ,do you have the 340 engine or is it a 440 in this one , as far as the rear shock l seen some gas type available on ebay at times or check out kimpex , l seen some guys have installed a longer shock but l doen't see it working correctly with the suspension arms geometry , mike

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1981 Nippondenso fired 354 l/c in this one Mike, right now it currently has a new stock replacement shock in it. Kept the stock mount holes in the tunnel, used the bigger rear idlers off the 81 skid, 79 rails and arms, the newer hex drive shaft and 11 tooth hex drivers.

Here's where I'd like to see it sit with no rider:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
l did check a parts book out it needs a 414 5773 00 bom number and the kimpex replacement is 04 231 so we need some longer , l have never tryed a longer one , ; need the specs for the orginal one now and maybe some thing else will work ,mike

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, stock shock dims are:

7.75" eye to eye open, 6.0" closed.

7/16" eye on top (pin) . 13/16" on the bottom (shaft).

I'm searching the Kimpex catalog right now

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
yeah l have the book out now as well , l seen a friend of mine who races his in ovals has a gas type he uses , but your looking for a little more comfort , mike

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
l found a gas one with the orginal specs but the height will be the same the Kimpex part number is 04-267 ,whats the diameter of the shaft with the plastic bushing 3/4 " ?? ,mike

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. 04-231 is the hydraulic replacement.

Still needs to be 6" or less closed so the shock does not become the limiter when the skid is compressed or the rod will bend. I'm looking for some sag when I sit on it, something I learned back in the M10 days. You need some "sit in", or you will have a bucking board. Which is what his thing rode like when I had one new....so trying to upgrade a little if possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts