Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 skidoo mx470, after a recent ride I noticed that the belt sat a little lower than usual. Messed with it a bit by pushing the sheaves apart then back together and even tried a new belt to see if the belt in it now is worn but even the new one sits low. Did some research and can't find anything Any idea how to adjust it?

Can't figure out how to post a pic but here's a link of another clutch that's identical to mine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312902695205
(Sorry for ebay but it's the only site with the identical clutch)

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Three allen head screws with lock nuts are for adjustment. Loosen lock nuts,screw allen head out to raise the belt. Out a little (make sure you turn them all the same amount) and then tighten the lock nuts. Rotate the track several times so the belt can work it's way up. Repeat as necessary. Belt should be about 1/16" above the secondary.

Think Snow!

Reactions: turbopete

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have never seen one or more of the adjustment set screws turn itself in and keep the pulley halves apart too far. I would remove the belt and carefully measure the width of the pulley halves, back the three adjustment screws out then remeasure the distance. If the pulleys close up you will simply have to adjust the belt deflection as per the instructions in the shop manual. If the pulleys don't close up you may have a weak spring, a bound bushing or a slider ramp which is damaged holding the halves apart. To check this would require disassembly of the secondary clutch. Again, this procedure is covered in the shop manual.

The bushings and helix need to be clean to work properly. A dirty helix can cause the halves to bind and not close fully. if you haven't had the secondary apart for some time it's probably time you did anyway to give it a good cleaning.

Lynn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a few pictures of the sliders but cant figure out how to post it on here, do I need to use a computer?

I showed my polaris buddy the sliders and he said that they would easily last the seasons but will have to be changed after. And yes the sliders are only worn up by the idler wheels around the bend but everywhere else is fine. I know the skid has been properly maintained as I bought it with 4500 kms on it and sat since 2002. The track was replaced back in 02 but hasn't been used since. The track tension, adjustment and idler wheels are all in good condition from what I can tell. I've put 500kms on it so far and we haven't had much snow so it's probably been hard on them and I remember the sliders weren't new when I bought it so they've had quite a few kms on them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it's worth taking the secondary out to clean but I think it's fine, don't think I s too hard anyways. But before I take it out what is the bolt torque for the secondary that hold it onto the shaft? Before I take it out I'll try the locking nut and Allen key. Last night I tried to tighten the locking bolts as I thought that they adjusted the clutch but I guess not, hope I didn't strip anything...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just loosened the locking nuts then loosened the Allen bolt out quite a bit, then turned the secondary until the belt came up. The belt didn't come up all the way but the belt is pretty worn out so to make sure I put my new spare belt on and it's where it should be. I then tighten the Allen bolts back in until snug then the lock nuts and it works like new!

Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts