Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked into a few options of raising the seat on my Renegade XR. A new one....one from XRS.....an ulpolstry shop....etc.

Finally i chose an ulpolstry shop. He raised my seat from underneath by at least 2" & didnt have to remove to cover, etc.

What a difference. I haven't gone far but its a huge difference.hopefully it will help with the sore knees & back & the feeling that your knees are higher than your hips. I plan on doing the same thing to my 2 up seat as that is even lower.

Just thought I would share.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Interesting! Would love to see pic's if you have any. Do you know how the upholstery shop managed to raise it without adding foam?

Reactions: maxxterminator

·
Registered
30 Posts
The seat on my 13 was taller than the seat on the 09, In the back, I swapped them and put the powermadd seat riser on it. 2" of foam on top and a new cover. Much better for a guy who likes to stand and sit repeatedly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am the same. Sit, stand, sit, stand...repeat. much happier with taller seat. Might have to get used to it cornering a bit differently but whatever, i can live with that.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
I looked into a few options of raising the seat on my Renegade XR. A new one....one from XRS.....an ulpolstry shop....etc.

Finally i chose an ulpolstry shop. He raised my seat from underneath by at least 2" & didnt have to remove to cover, etc.

What a difference. I haven't gone far but its a huge difference.hopefully it will help with the sore knees & back & the feeling that your knees are higher than your hips. I plan on doing the same thing to my 2 up seat as that is even lower.

Just thought I would share.
He didn't have to remove the fabric cover but was able to make it 2 inches taller adding foam? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

I added a seat riser back on my ZX chassis and it was a huge improvement. That was just a wooden wedge that was bolted between the seat and chassis tunnel. I've seen other add foam and a new cover like mentioned earlier. I also had a BOSS aftermarket seat which was a nice improvement on a previous XP chassis. Luckily for me I find the XR chassis very roomy and comfortable. But customizing to make your sledding experience better is well worth it. :righton

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
going thru the same thing with my gen4, seat is lower that my rev xp x, with no taller seat available. nothing worse for an old guy with long legs and a bad back. the optional 'comfort' seat is pretty much a joke. hey brp engineers, you've got adjustable stuff on the spyders, how about us ? or how about a couple of seat options on the spring buy sleds ? seat concepts has some stuff available, but they sure are slow to respond and build !

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
2x even Harley makes a tall boy seat option for their bikes. Everything seems to be designed for 5' 8'' people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He added all the foam between the white plastic frame & the existing foam. You would never know by looking at it that it was even messed with.
I can take pics. I plan on getting foam added to my 2 up as well as that one is even lower....happy boy...lol

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
For anyone wanting a taller seat, WRP makes a seat that is much taller than the OEM seats. Priced well too, I think they are like $250 or so

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Raising your body's mass will lower possible cornering speeds. Can't see the benefit.
Driving a car also increases the speed you can get places vs driving a snowmobile.

I'm 6'3" tall and have bad knees. Sitting up higher is easier on my knees

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Well like I said, sitting up higher is easier on MY knees. Riding around with my knees bent at more than a 90 degree angle hurts them, especially when transitioning from sitting/standing all day. It's easier to stand if you're already closer to standing.

I don't really care if it hurts my cornering speed. If I'm in a hurry I'll drive my car.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well like I said, sitting up higher is easier on MY knees. Riding around with my knees bent at more than a 90 degree angle hurts them, especially when transitioning from sitting/standing all day. It's easier to stand if you're already closer to standing.

I don't really care if it hurts my cornering speed. If I'm in a hurry I'll drive my car.

When I sat on my '09 1200 on the showroom floor the next thing I did was to see how much they would give me for my '06 600 on a trade in. Old rev was a killer on my legs, felt like a sport bike to me. Never even test rode a 1200, it was the leg room that got me at first. Signed on the line and rode that sucker right off the floor. Seat is higher and firmer on the '09 than my '13 , both GSX's . Higher CG, no problem, I learned how to ride on old hard tail leaf spring sleds, heck I'll hang off enough to drag a knee if needed.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Raising your body's mass will lower possible cornering speeds. Can't see the benefit.
you got that right. These tall turds handle and even ride like crap so it's a good thing they are easier to stand on. And you freeze too. They really need to lower foot well to get good hip to knee ratio. Tall seat is just a bandaid on a bad design.
This issue has been getting more awareness lately and its way overdue. You guys that stand half or all day while riding for whatever reason may like the super high rider CG, but tons of buyers do not, and they made that clear via poor sales.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
you got that right. These tall turds handle and even ride like crap so it's a good thing they are easier to stand on. And you freeze too. They really need to lower foot well to get good hip to knee ratio. Tall seat is just a bandaid on a bad design.
This issue has been getting more awareness lately and its way overdue. You guys that stand half or all day while riding for whatever reason may like the super high rider CG, but tons of buyers do not, and they made that clear via poor sales.
I lead a lot on the trail and I stand a lot, mostly to look over the crest of small hills and knolls to see if somebody is coming over at mach 1 speed to get some air, of if there is nobody there so I can get some air lol. Anytime standing can give me an advantage to see an oncoming sled sooner I stand. Now I don't need a booster seat because I'm only 5'8, so the sled imo fits me pretty well. I don't mind how the xr sits though. I think it handles very well if you have the right set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts