Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m looking to know what the trick is to seal off this glovebox extension. Installed it for more room and to mount a GPS. Works great for those application.
But if I ride behind guys or do any type of off trail it fills up with snow !!
From what I`ve seen it all comes in through the gap between the top of the gauge and the bottom of the extension door.

Would the glovebox liner seal that gap or would I just fill that liner with snow too?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I`m looking to know what the trick is to seal off this glovebox extension. Installed it for more room and to mount a GPS. Works great for those application.
But if I ride behind guys or do any type of off trail it fills up with snow !!
From what I`ve seen it all comes in through the gap between the top of the gauge and the bottom of the extension door.

Would the glovebox liner seal that gap or would I just fill that liner with snow too?
I've got the liner in my extension, but I don't think it will seal where you're talking about. I haven't even ridden my sled yet so I don't know for sure. Maybe try some 1/4" thick x 1/2" wide self adhesive soft foam weather stripping glued on the inside bottom of the door. Let it hang down a little off the bottom of the door to seal that gap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First post here. Just switched up from being a Polaris owner for many, many years to my first SkiDoo - 600 ACE.

I was looking at the glove box extension to mount my GPS as well, but I'm not so sure I want to go there if it fills up with snow??

What GPS did you mount on it??

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
First post here. Just switched up from being a Polaris owner for many, many years to my first SkiDoo - 600 ACE.

I was looking at the glove box extension to mount my GPS as well, but I'm not so sure I want to go there if it fills up with snow??

I've got the Montana mounted on mine using the Skidoo mount kit

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks good Ultra. I've got a Garmin Oregon but I want to mount my old Garmin Nuvi because it has a larger screen. Just got the map chip from VVMapping.

Please let us know how you seal the leak.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Looks good Ultra. I've got a Garmin Oregon but I want to mount my old Garmin Nuvi because it has a larger screen. Just got the map chip from VVMapping.

Please let us know how you seal the leak.

Thanks.
Nuvi is a good unit. How does the touch screen perform in the cold?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I bought the SkiDoo Montana kit (Montana 680T) Works good, The kit goes in easy with the BRP instructions.

Mapping in Canada (NB at least) is a whole other story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought the SkiDoo Montana kit (Montana 680T) Works good, The kit goes in easy with the BRP instructions.

Mapping in Canada (NB at least) is a whole other story.
Ran into 5 guys from Manitoba this past weekend in Copper Harbor, MI. They trailered to Ontonagon, MI and were riding from there. Better maps maybe?? :smile_old:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ran into 5 guys from Manitoba this past weekend in Copper Harbor, MI. They trailered to Ontonagon, MI and were riding from there. Better maps maybe?? :smile_old:
Yeah US maps look like they are on the ball.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
There is a thread on this from about 2 years ago. There are some pics in it but some pics and a portion of the thread got lost due to site problems. I'll try to find the thread and link to it here. Worst case, I'll get a new pic once I get to my sled later tonight.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So it would be coming in from the front??
There is no problem with the stock lid is there?
From the front - correct. I did the flashlight in the glovebox trick and it was pretty easy to see the problem. A little foam weatherstripping and I haven't seen any snow in there since.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Note that in the right conditions, snow can come from anywhere as in this pic from Snozilla over the weekend but I think the biggest problem is from the hood. Snow has a direct route right in to the box from the front.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453847921.939339.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for posting the link REVinMD. I have not run into snow conditions that caused anything like you have pictured above but I can seen where it is possible. I have a 2015 MXZ Sport 600 Ace with barely 500 miles on it. I was planning on mounting my Garmin Nuvi in the glove box extension if possible. Now that I'm seeing these issues with snow I'm not so sure. The Nuvi is not as waterproof as some of the hand held units and I can see where I might have problems there.

Is there anyone out there that has mounted the Nuvi to the glove box extension successfully?? Would I be better off mounting it to the handlebar??

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2012/2013 prototype renegade X. I just did the garmin 650T and glovebox extension. We were up in the U.P. MLK weekend when it was snowing heavy. My whole inner glovebox was full of snow also. I haven't looked into it much yet, but I think it is coming in from the front and through that little flimsy part of the inner plastic liner. I did notice the gap above the gauges and below the extension door. I don't think that much snow would be making its way up by the gauges and into the opening. I am going to take mine apart tomorrow and see what I find.

As far as the VVmapping, from Lake Gogebic to copper harbor/gay/houghton etc the maps are spot on. All the restaurants/bars are not on it, only the most popular ones. As far as trails and routing it is great, as far as points of interest I think it could be better. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Although I have the X, I had the stock windshield swapped out for a medium. Either way, remove the windshield. On the console piece, you will see 6 silver torx screws. Remove them with a T-25. The console will now mostly lift up (should not be a need to unplug the gauges).

Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact size of rubber weatherstrip I used. It may be 3/8". As long as you don't go too thick or too thin, it should work fine. If in doubt, put some kind of light in the glovebox, screw the front of the console on, look all around the base of the console/headlight area and you'll know if it's sealed.

For some reason, I don't have weatherstrip on the V part marked in red above. Rather, I put it on the underside of the console there. I'm sure I had a reason but can't imagine what it was! Regardless, the entire area outlined in red above needs to be sealed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453868014.501258.jpg

Looking at the door on the front of the glovebox extension, there isn't any type of rubber gasket but there is a lip on it that will make it unlikely to get snow in that way.

Although I didn't try it, it may be faster, easier, and cheaper if you just take a piece of duct tape and seal off the V area under the center windshield grommet. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453868338.865059.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts