Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a believer in the use of Seafoam fuel treatment.
Has anyone been using Seafoam in e-tec engines ??
Pros and cons ??

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
Lots of people on DooTalk use the stuff. There are a few guys on DooTalk who circulate calling it snake oil while also admitting never having used it. The intent is to put a damper on the threads and it usually works, but completely useless.

The better stories comes from the owners who post having storing issues with these products like Seafoam and the last one was K100. It is the exception, not the rule. For cleaning it definitely works. The E-TEC injectors are nowhere near as prone to fouling as conventional injectors, but it has been known to happen under the right conditions. I suspect it is related to fuel quality, but i don't believe anyone really knows. I see it more like playing with a chemistry set lol

I have done my own storage testing with mixed results, so I just store my stuff properly with endolene. And there is certainly such a thing as proper storage. You would think that no one stores a 1/4 jug of long term, and even less without a cover, but today was the second time this year that I saw this.

There is a new problem brewing for us in Quebec. While we have been mostly protected against high Ethanol content, the new government is working to increase the ethanol content by 300% for 2025 which means here comes the storage issues. We will soon be like you guys with a much higher number of storage issues, and this will jack the price by about 23 cents a US gallon.... Unbelievable. Electric snowmobiles cannot come fast enough lol

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1464762-2018-renegade-x-850-misbehaving/page-25#entry21208874

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't use it for storage, but I put in everything I own at the start of a new season. Sleds, snowblowers, lawnmowers, boats, cars etc.

Has not bothered two 800 etcs nor two 850s.

Works well for me, it may be a placebo, but I haven't had any adverse effects.

·
Registered
21 MXZ XRS 850
3,776 Posts
I use Seafoam all the time. It is a great cleaner and fuel stabilizer. I add some to everything i own because it cant hurt. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
When I go into ctc or Walmart and look at the row upon row of additives for vehicles, sea foam include, Im amazed at the promises they offer. It must be a psychological thing, like treating your engine with something special, giving the user a feeling that they’re machine will work better and longer with no problems. Despite no engineer endorsing any additive other than storage stabilizer,GM’s engine oil supplement being an exception. Of course they sell that can of miracles. Read any factory service manual for just about anything and see if they recommend seafoam or any of the snake oil cans. Just push the summarize button in the spring and move on from the carb bowl world of clogged jet misery and ethanol fuel rage and enjoy the sport. You don’t need it.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Copied from the internet, "Seafoam, per the current MSDS, is 40-60% Pale Oil (CAS 64742-54-7), 25-35% Naphtha, and 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol "IPA"."

I sometimes buy it when it's on sale but I assume it's mostly snake oil.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
Copied from the internet, "Seafoam, per the current MSDS, is 40-60% Pale Oil (CAS 64742-54-7), 25-35% Naphtha, and 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol "IPA"."

I sometimes buy it when it's on sale but I assume it's mostly snake oil.
Unless you find a way to prove it to yourself, it remains part mystery and part old wive's tail lol

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I did not believe in (Mechanic in a can fixes), until I was convinced to try it, it's plain and simple, it works! I have seen it smooth out rough running engines, and remove carbon from the back side of intake valves. It keeps carbs and injectors clean. Like I stated, It Works!

Bob

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I did not believe in (Mechanic in a can fixes), until I was convinced to try it, it's plain and simple, it works! I have seen it smooth out rough running engines, and remove carbon from the back side of intake valves. It keeps carbs and injectors clean. Like I stated, It Works!

Bob
Agree it's a cleaning agent but not fuel stabilizer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts