Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help my brother out in buying a seadoo or other personal watercraft...which I know little about. He doesnt want to break the bank...say under 5g. Hes looking at a 2000 Seadoo Gtx 3 seater with a rotax 800 dual carb. I know these are similar to sled engines. Are these older 800 plagued with similar issues as the sleds? Guy says it was rebuilt and has 150 psi per side ???
Another one he is looking at is a 951cc rotax with fuel injection??
Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
depends on your type of riding. Powder, steep and deep... err wait, this is water. LOL

Seriously though, I've grown to like 4 strokes on the water. Little heavier, but the torque, reliability, quiet, and economy is just that much better.

But it does depend on what you're doing with it. 3 Seater with the 800 2-stroke is almost a boat. Still fun, and great for towing tubers and skiers. If he doesn't plan on doing that, it might be a bit large for basic spin around/jumping fun.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Actually he does plan on tubing every now and then with a couple young children.
When did they start putting 4 strokes in watercraft? I tried to talk him into buying a newer seadoo spark with the 900 ace but he doesn't want to spend that much.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have owned both a 2 stroke GTX and currently own a 4 stroke GTX and they are quite different. The 4 stroke is quite a bit larger and heavier IMO but a much better machine for towing and passengers. Also, the 4 stroke is slightly better on fuel. If your brother wants tossable go for a Spark or an older 2-up 2 stroke like an SP. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 10-15 year old, well maintained, 4 stroke GTX. You should be able to pick one up for under that $5k number. Our current GTX has well over 400 hours on the meter and still doesn't use any oil. Fantastic engine.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The brp 800 dual carb pwc engine is a good one, no unusual issues. Its not the 800 sled engine. However any engine that's 19 years old can have problems because of lack of maintenance.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,310 Posts
Look for a Yamaha FX 140 Or a Fx ho 160 that will get you a bullet proof 4stk for around 5k

·
Registered
48 Posts
2016.5 and up have the changeable coupler at the crankshaft. Anything below if the splines fail you need to replace the crankshaft

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
110% with the fx comment, had one with close to 200 hrs on it. Only issue was a starter. It would pull my 270 butt up on a wake board better than some boats. If you want comfort for 2 get a three seater, anything with a 951 motor don't buy. I hate those things worse than a Polaris 800 twin. Think 00-05 Polaris 800 bad. Throw a 900 in there once in awhile for good measure bad

657,720 and 787 are all good motors.

Look and ask about oil loss when sitting, for sure sign the rotary shaft seal is going. It's a complete tear down to do.

Ask when the carbon seal and wear ring was last done. Those are generally 150hr service parts. Seal runs about 50-80, wear ring 40 ish. Couple hours to do both. Motor should be checked for alignment at the carbon seal time.

With seadoo be very careful if it doesn't beep when the key is put in. Those are generally the ones I can't program another key for, it's sometimes a speaker issue but mostly( what I've seen) a mpem promblem. Try to sell the craft at the point. You don't want to know the cost.

If going four stoke, same applies to above. If it's a super charged machine ask when the charger was rebuilt. Original ones have ceramic washers that will exploded and take out the motor. Newer ones,rebuilt units don't use those. About 600-800 to redo.

The four are great on gas, downfall is the weight and you'll never flick it around like the 2 smoker.

Only buy what you can test drive, many land starts don't show the water issues with these

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. Thank you very much for all the help guys. Mark you provided great knowledge that I will no doubt go back to for reference. And I was going to pm you as well krm however.....against my advice my brother bought a 2000 sea doo gtx three seater with a supposed rebuilt 800. He made a lowball offer and the guy accepted. Asking price was 3600 and he got it for 2800 with trailer. I looked at it with my brother. Engine was clean and appeared to be fresh gaskets throughout. Small amount of oil in the bottom of the hull discouraged me. Appeared wet around the oil pump area. ( maybe what you pointed out to look for Mark). Hull had a few minor scrapes but after all it is 19 yrs old. Anyways we left. Brother went back on his own. Heard it run and bought it..again against my suggestions...he could have looked at a 2014 spark 3 up with 32 hrs for 5g....but then still needed a trailer. So best of luck to him....maybe he will get lucky and get a few seasons with it....
Thanks again guys

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,310 Posts
Wow. Thank you very much for all the help guys. Mark you provided great knowledge that I will no doubt go back to for reference. And I was going to pm you as well krm however.....against my advice my brother bought a 2000 sea doo gtx three seater with a supposed rebuilt 800. He made a lowball offer and the guy accepted. Asking price was 3600 and he got it for 2800 with trailer. I looked at it with my brother. Engine was clean and appeared to be fresh gaskets throughout. Small amount of oil in the bottom of the hull discouraged me. Appeared wet around the oil pump area. ( maybe what you pointed out to look for Mark). Hull had a few minor scrapes but after all it is 19 yrs old. Anyways we left. Brother went back on his own. Heard it run and bought it..again against my suggestions...he could have looked at a 2014 spark 3 up with 32 hrs for 5g....but then still needed a trailer. So best of luck to him....maybe he will get lucky and get a few seasons with it....
Thanks again guys
The oil is coming from the red elbow on the bottom of the oil tank .If you start seeing water in the hull ,ck the weld in plugs on the pipe to see if they rotted thru ,and the carbon ring/boot .

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok thanks krm. I told him before he bought it I didnt really want to...or have the desire or time to work on an old one! Lol. But he is my brother and I will do my best.
Already sending him advice on trailer tires and wheel bearings for the trailer. Sheesh.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Generally when a rotary shaft goes it just sucks oil and burns it. You only see it in the hull when it takes out the crank seals at some point and your opening the stator cover for the fist time and you spill a 1/2 quart of oil Out. I've seen a full res. Go down in 10 minutes when one went south.

If the question is there- park it, Mark it and check a few days later. It will show its head if it's bad

Get a auto bilge pump for it too.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,310 Posts
Most times it's the inner seals that leak oil into the cylinder base .You'll know when it does as it hydro locks the cylinder .I seal the seals to the case when rebuilding BRP pwc 2stk motors .

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guy said it was rebuilt with new crank and pistons. But couldnt show receipt for it....heard that before too. Says it has some time on the rebuild so its not fresh off the hop. Time will tell

1 - 20 of 25 Posts