Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's i've been wondering lately if it is possible to take a Sea-Doo 951 engine out one of the Jet Ski's Ex, the XP model, and be able to transplant it into a rev.

Well my question is has anyone done this? And is it even possible? I was leaning towards turing my 05 rev 440 into the Triple 809 motor with the kit threw Bondi, but I would like to do something different! Any help would be great! THANKS

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i dont think that would be possible. but that 951 motor is fast. but its made for a sea doo. i would stick to a super tuned snomobile motor. i get 72mph out of mine on the water thats fast enouph for me.

·
The Wrecking Crew
1,110 Posts
why would you want to put a 130hp 951 in?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Almost anything is possible if you got the time, ingenuity, and dough. That
130 hp could probably be bumped up considerably. but those watercraft
engine adaptations tend to be pricey.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
you can make anything fit, but is it worth the time, the money and end result... you be the judge-

but it would be a great motor for water skipping... assuming you occasionally do not make it all the way across...

I have sunk mine and filled the motor with water (fresh) at least 4 times over the years...

And it wtill runs as strong as the day it was born and never a rebuild-

amazingly durable!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the problem that I am seeing is the Intake/Exhaust is on the same side. I know its a 130 HP engine but the torque curve on that motor is incredible, it has to be that way in order to launch at low RPMS when its not in the power band. Strong engine, I was wondering if anyone had info on this at all! THANKS

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
the other problem is that sea-doo motors have NO clutching...

they are direct drive always on or always off no neutral and are not setup to use clutching... so electronics, timing etc. will need to be changed too!

if you doo a search (the three dreaded words) I know someone put the 951 in a sled. I really believe it was on this forum but I could be wrong...

Intake/Exhaust is on the same side.
that can be a good thing, letting you get the motor real low in the chassis... that is how the firecat gets it done...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I often thought this would be a cool project, the low c of g, keep in mind that 951 is tuned to hit a rev limiter with no load, if you recall the older sea-doos, like '92, they had a 580cc motor running 60 hp, the Ski-doo 580 at the time was maybe 80-90 hp. It'd be well spent $$$ to get that 951 on a dyno prior to install to see what it has for potential output/weight ratio to be sure it's worth while.
Keep us posted.

·
The Wrecking Crew
1,110 Posts
the 03' XP (that i have) and 04's are direct injected thats why the intake/exhaust is on the same side(don't know about carbed versions). I wonder why BRP dosn't use the DI technology in sleds. the exhaust ports look to have water jackets around them so water flows around the ports into the exhaust. I haven't had the pipe off but thats the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I raced SeaDoo's and used the 951 for about 5 yrs. It is a good motor but don't know how it would work in the sleds. The carbs and eshaust are on the same side which would make it difficult to fit in a REV. It is a Big motor and can't see it being that much different than the 1000 skidoo motor that i hear doesn't fit in a rev. Also, that motor will not live long running at about 8000 rpms. Usually had them about 7500 rpm's with twin pipes and 48mm carbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts