Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you SDI owners out there, how noticable is the 2 stroke smell on your riding clothes after a day on the SDI. I am asking because my wife is not a fan of the two stoke smell and I am looking at getting a SDI, hopefully this would get her into the sport more.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
bloomah said:
For all of you SDI owners out there, how noticable is the 2 stroke smell on your riding clothes after a day on the SDI. I am asking because my wife is not a fan of the two stoke smell and I am looking at getting a SDI, hopefully this would get her into the sport more.
[snapback]708858[/snapback]​
You will still get the smell but it wont be as bad as a carbed model.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
carbed, efi, sdi all smell the same, like 2 stroke oil. the determining factor of the smell is, the oil to gas ratio (oil pump setting) and the efficiancy of the jetting/fuel map curve of the sdi/efi unit.

i have friends that have carbed sleds and have little oil smell, have sdi in the garage with little oil smell, i ride with those in our group that the reverse is true. too many variables.

if she doesnt like the smell, you may have to go to a 4 stroke, or lean the oil pump to lessen the ratio's and smell. just dont go too far and starve the motor for lubrication. ski

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
skidooboy said:
carbed, efi, sdi all smell the same, like 2 stroke oil. the determining factor of the smell is, the oil to gas ratio (oil pump setting) and the efficiancy of the jetting/fuel map curve of the sdi/efi unit.

i have friends that have carbed sleds and have little oil smell, have sdi in the garage with little oil smell, i ride with those in our group that the reverse is true. too many variables.

if she doesnt like the smell, you may have to go to a 4 stroke, or lean the oil pump to lessen the ratio's and smell. just dont go too far and starve the motor for lubrication. ski
[snapback]709094[/snapback]​
Agree and disagree, You are correct about efficience]y and oil pump setting. For the most part, the SDI's and EFI's run more eficient. Is it possible for a carbed model to run as efficient as a SDI or EFI? -Yes but It is just not as common.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
They make oil that makes the exhaust smell like strawberries...

BTW nothing smells better than 2stroke exhaust!!!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
My old SDI stunk just as bad as any other newer 2 stroke. They claim its so clean......well when I took off it would turn all the snow underneath the pipe dark Brown.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do think my sdi runs cleaner but it depends what the comparison is. What's she riding now and is it set right? In the end just tell her it's sexy and buy her a new sled for Valentine's Day.

G

·
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
They make oil that makes the exhaust smell like strawberries...

BTW nothing smells better than 2stroke exhaust!!!
[snapback]709233[/snapback]​
I know the Carbon Monoxide does wonders for my arthritis!

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's more about the sleds she is running BEHIND on the trails...don't get too much exhaust smell on you from your own sled. Except maybe at cold startup.

·
Super Moderator
29,733 Posts
sofa king said:
revmaniac said:
My sdi is the worst sled I've owned for oil consumption and therefore smoke and smell.
[snapback]709805[/snapback]​
Have you checked your oil pump cable adjustment?
[snapback]710207[/snapback]​
Yeah, really. My sled doesn't smoke at all, and I have never seen the "brown streak" I keep reading about here. As far as efficency, NOTHING beats an SDI, even the 4 strokers.

An example of comparison (no 4 stroke involved, but a mix of 2 strokes) from a recent ride we just did; The sleds were an '03 600HO carb'ed, my '04 SDI, an '06 800 PowerTek, and an '06 Polaris 600HO. We all filled up at the same place and rode together. When it was time for a fill up, we all filled from the same pump. The results were:

'03 600HO Carb'ed Doo - 5.6 gallons
'06 600HO Carb'ed Polaris - 5.6 gallons
'06 800 PT Ski-Doo - 4.9 gallons
'04 600 SDI Doo - 4.4 gallons

I like my SDI, and the PowerTek is awesome as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ski doo boy is right on. It all depends on the gas to oil ratio. My wife rode behind me on her sled and complained until I got the gas to oil ratio more favorable which took 2 years to do since I did not have enough adjustment in the cable. I ended up bending the bracket the cable goes through down by the pump. Also you could us a good smelling 2 stroke oil and she may not object as much.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
If you're running XPS-II, you're lucky she hasn't PUKED in her helmet yet! Thats nasty-azz stuff!

·
Super Moderator
29,733 Posts
Deadman said:
If you're running XPS-II, you're lucky she hasn't PUKED in her helmet yet! Thats nasty-azz stuff!
[snapback]710321[/snapback]​
Agreed, however the recommended semi-synthetic smells OK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts