Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at 12 hours on my '06 Summit SDI, just broken in good, and the motor just quit and wouldn't restart. The check engine light came on. First time in four years of snowmobiling that a sled left me stranded. Fortunately, a friend happened along (a rare thing where we ride) and towed me home.

Hauled it down to the dealer -- fuel pump.

Anyone else have this problem?

And why did the check engine light come on? Is there a fuel pressure sensor in the SDI system?

I ride in semi-wilderness, and usually alone. I wanted the SDI because of more range, and because fuel injection is just supposed to be better than carbs. But if the d**n thing is not going to be reliable??!!

My trusty old 550 Fan (which I ended up riding the rest of the weekend) never let me down like that. Even when it burned down, it got me home, albeit slowly. Maybe it's time to start looking at Yammies. Or 800 PTeks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Never had that problem. But, it has left me on the trail. When the same problem repeated itself, I was ready and able to fix it. I suppose it will come down to learning curve. Just as cars have all gone injected, the sleds are likely to go there ( bikes have mostly as well ). Although I hate seeing computers in a sled ( or in airplanes for that matter.. ) - I think that once we all have experience with them we will be able to handle most of the issues, but not all of them, as they come up on the trail. I remember breaking suspensions on the old sleds, and fixing them on the trail with pieces of tree branches. Stuff like the fuel pump or the computer will either have to be made so reliable as to almost never fail, or will have to have a redundant system to make it very unlikely to cripple the sled. They are definitely not there yet. I love my SDI, but it is definitely more trouble than the rest of my fleet - not something I was hoping for when I decided it was time to get a newer sled after having a bad sled day with my 583 summit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As it turned out, the fuel pump wasn't bad -- some wire was pulled out.

So I guess I need to spend some time poking around under the hood so I can learn where all the wire connections are.

I'm still hoping for the best. I love the idea of the SDI system and I like the way my sled runs when it's running good (other than throttle response at cruise speed).

But reliability is really, really important since I ride in remote places, alone. My 550F set a high standard in that regard -- I burned it down once (my wife, riding wide open on our lake), but other than that the 550 has been totally reliable over four seasons, not a single problem, never stranded me, has even been bounced off stumps and rocks without any damage.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the same situation happen to me only it really was the fuel pump.

In my case, the Check Engine light came on because the fuel pump fuse had blown due to the failure of the fuel pump. The weird thing is that unlike the original vacume pump failure symptoms, this new fuel pump failure will no longer allow the engine to continue running off the reservoir balance.

The dealer contacted BRP and they confirmed that the new electric fuel pump on the RT is giving them a very high failure rate. They are again investigating the situation. They told me that this pump is an industrial grade pump used on tractors and other commercial equipment. But it seems that it is vulnerable to extreme temperature changes (being under the engine in a semi-enclosed space directly next to a heat source).

At any rate, it seems like the reliability of the RT has now seriously been put into question. I know I'm concerned because when it failed, I had to be towed 36 miles to be rescured.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HighMarker said:
I had the same situation happen to me only it really was the fuel pump.

In my case, the Check Engine light came on because the fuel pump fuse had blown due to the failure of the fuel pump. The weird thing is that unlike the original vacume pump failure symptoms, this new fuel pump failure will no longer allow the engine to continue running off the reservoir balance.

The dealer contacted BRP and they confirmed that the new electric fuel pump on the RT is giving them a very high failure rate. They are again investigating the situation. They told me that this pump is an industrial grade pump used on tractors and other commercial equipment. But it seems that it is vulnerable to extreme temperature changes (being under the engine in a semi-enclosed space directly next to a heat source).

At any rate, it seems like the reliability of the RT has now seriously been put into question. I know I'm concerned because when it failed, I had to be towed 36 miles to be rescured.
[snapback]719010[/snapback]​
darn! Just what we don't need.

As to the computer stopping the engine (not letting it run off reservoir balance), I'm sure that's to prevent lean condition engine damage as the reservoir runs out. Anything that makes a burndown less likely is a good thing, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Had the brand new one go out on my rt1000 when it came back from getting the upgrades. It was back at the dealers getting a coolant leak fixed and a bog problem. Then it died altogether on him while it was there. Was a brand new faulty pump. Fixed the bog problem though. Also left me stranded once a few miles in when it just died. Was the battery went dead but gave no warning, just died and nothin! Charged it and off i went. Awfully Frustrating when you buy new stuff and it don't work.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sharky74 said:
Had the brand new one go out on my rt1000 when it came back from getting the Awfully Frustrating when you buy new stuff and it don't work.
[snapback]719826[/snapback]​
No f****g s*it!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts