Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Team REED's
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride the other night and came up to a stop sign and I noticed the battery light was on. Then the sled started acting funny and it died. It was just like the battery went dead. Which I got picked up and went home and the multimeter said that the battery had 11.38 volts in it. Try to start it and it ran but not good. Next morning took it to a dealer and they put a load tester on the battery and the battery was shorted out. So new battery put in and it ran like a top. Put the sled on the computer just to look at everything and everything checked out. But I didn't run it on the computer. I rode right after that for about 55 miles and notice the battery light was on again and it died again. SO..... I know I have either a stator problem which makes the juice to keep the battery up or the voltage regulator?!
Has anyone else had this problem with there SDI?
I wish the sled would just run on its own with out a battery which in my surprise it wont! S-D needs to come out with a battery-less system!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Just Pin It!! said:
Went for a ride the other night and came up to a stop sign and I noticed the battery light was on. Then the sled started acting funny and it died. It was just like the battery went dead. Which I got picked up and went home and the multimeter said that the battery had 11.38 volts in it. Try to start it and it ran but not good. Next morning took it to a dealer and they put a load tester on the battery and the battery was shorted out. So new battery put in and it ran like a top. Put the sled on the computer just to look at everything and everything checked out. But I didn't run it on the computer. I rode right after that for about 55 miles and notice the battery light was on again and it died again. SO..... I know I have either a stator problem which makes the juice to keep the battery up or the voltage regulator?!
Has anyone else had this problem with there SDI?
I wish the sled would just run on its own with out a battery which in my surprise it wont! S-D needs to come out with a battery-less system!!
[snapback]686840[/snapback]​
I agree, Doo has to make the SDI batteryless in the future. Cat is ahead of us with their no battery EFI systems. It must be one of the 2 (stator or voltage regulator).
-Good luck , let me know what the issue was

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was just looking at the wiring diagram.

Locate the regulator.

Follow the red/white wire from the battery to the regulator.

Disconnect the red/white wire from the battery where it connects to the regulator.

remove the 30A fuse from the in-line fuse holder near the battery.
Place an ammeter across the fuse holder and see if it is drawing current
with the sled shut off.

if there is no current draw, it is probably a shorted diode in the regulator.
If there is current draw, it could be a problem with one of the relays, or the wiring in the relay/fuse box. You should expect a tiny current draw in any case, but probably no more than 20 to 30 ma.

next, place the ammeter on resistance and measure between ground ( the frame ) and the red/white wire from the regulator, where you unplugged the red/white wire from the battery. When you measure one way, there should be high resistance. If you get low resistance, reverse the wires on the meter and see if you get high resistance. If you get low resistance both ways, you have a shorted diode.

remember to connect the red/white wire back up at the regulator when you are done. Maybe pull the inline fuse when you are not running the sled to keep the battery from draining.

·
Team REED's
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer is going to look at it tomorrow and let me know whats the deal!? The head mechanic thinks its the stator but not 100%. So we'll see.............not like I need it in the next couple of days from what the weather man is telling me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We had this problem with one of our 2004 SDI with elec start. After the dealer couldn't fix it they changed the voltage reg. but that didn't fix the problem we eventually figured out it was the plug coming from the stator to the voltage reg. It wasn't pushed into the back of the connector all the way. All we did was pull the front of the plug of then the back and just pushed the yellow wire in until it clicked that was it 10,000km and still working fine. With only one wire it isn't getting enough juice for the battery.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My friends 04 600 sdi had similar problems. It would not maintain battery voltage, not charging. It was the stator. As I recall you can check output of the stator buy disconnecting the plug at the regulator and checking for output voltage at all three legs (wires) coming out of the stator... He had about 2000 miles and was covered by warrantee..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.