Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sled has never fouled plugs so I've only change them once or twice since new (fall 2003), mainly for preventative maintenance. My sled has been remapped a few times and I can't remember which one (it was in Jan. 2005). Sled also has updated chrome rings installed this past fall. I'm going to Quebec this week so decided to change plugs. Both sides are a real nice brown but the mag side is definitely a "lighter" brown than the PTO side. Should I be worried about the variance in colour?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Light brown is good no matter as long as it is light brown so I wouldn't worry about it. The one thing that drew my attention was you said the mag side was lighter.
I lost the mag side piston in my SDI two weekends ago due to a lean condition and thought it might be due to water contamination causing an injector to freeze up causing a lean condition.
After throwing theory's around about the cause of the melt down the plugs came back into play as both were white which ment both sides were running lean but the mag side lean enough to melt down. Maybe the mag side just runs hotter??
I'm changing the fuel filter, will cut the old one open, and draining the tank and will go from there...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nbrenegade said:
Light brown is good no matter as long as it is light brown so I wouldn't worry about it. The one thing that drew my attention was you said the mag side was lighter.
I lost the mag side piston in my SDI two weekends ago due to a lean condition and thought it might be due to water contamination causing an injector to freeze up causing a lean condition.
After throwing theory's around about the cause of the melt down the plugs came back into play as both were white which ment both sides were running lean but the mag side lean enough to melt down. Maybe the mag side just runs hotter??
I'm changing the fuel filter, will cut the old one open, and draining the tank and will go from there...
[snapback]701749[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info. Let me know what you find in your fuel filter .... I've never changed mine! I thought about my situation some more and talked to some other local sled heads and they reminded the mag side on most sleds always runs slightly leaner due to it's proximity closer to the pipe etc (more heat). I recall an old magazine article where I believe Yamaha on their older triple cylinder/carb sleds actually staggered their jetting sizes because of this issue. I think I'm good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.