Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 600 SDI the engine runs good. But it doesn't idile up when it is cold, I checked all the sensors they all checked out. I also took it to the dealer and they reset the TPS . It still idiles slow when cold anyone have any idea what I should check next?

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
What was the tps set to for idle at the dealer? Maybe it just needs a half turn in.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what the TPS was set to they just told me they reset it. Do you mean to speed up the idile a half a turn? I replace the coolant sensor with a known good one.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Exactly, just a half turn. If it doesn't speed up the idle accordingly, there is a more serious problem.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
That sounds like the coolant temperature sensor as MNDitchBanger mentioned. I assume you checked the sensor over a range of temperature. If so you can look at the Live Monitoring in BUDS or CanDoo to confirm what the ECM is reading.

A few Qs to cover all basis:

1. Idle rpm when cold

2. Idle rpm when warm

3. Voltage at battery when idling

4. Codes stored in ECM

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It idles at 1500 cold and 1700 warm. I'll have to check the voltage when it is running but it is a good new electric start battery. It had a lot of codes in it but the tech thought they were form me ohm checking the sensors. He cleared them. I did swap out the CTS for a known good one.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
One half turn brought the idle up by how much?

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Any hesitation, bog, or any sign of a problem when running cold or warm?

Don't load it when cold, I just mean a short ride around the yard at low to part throttle. Try the RER too when cold, 15 sec after warm-up.

Remember to take voltage readings at the battery when cold and warm.

I will try it out shortly and we will compare our findings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the same problem and check all the sensors and talked to a number of people and still do not have any info on what tells an SDI to idle up on cold start. I have not seen anything in the service manual. My idle was lower than yours on cold start and fouling plugs,turning the idle up resolved that. Please post if you find the cure.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
There will be no codes for the idle speed, even if it goes over the idle tps range. You can however see the effects using Live Monitoring or the 60sec history. I took some screen shots tonight for my own topic, so maybe later tonight or tomorrow I will post.

I was hoping to post cold vs warm idle, but I have another problem to address. The sled idled for 1 min before it went blah lol. I'm not sure how anyone troubleshoots an SDI without good equipment. Heck I have trouble with the right equipment lol.

If you would see me work on this stuff you would go nuts!!!!

Huh? Why it doing this? I don't get it, makes no sense. Clear the codes and try it again. Same two codes keep returning, why? Something has got to be wrong. Look at what it's reading on the CTS. That don't look right with the coolant starting at ambient temp. Do we have to replace the sensor? The EGTS temp doesn't jive with the ambient temp. Why is that? Voltage is good at idle, but look at it go high as the sled stalls lol

Then I see all the questions on the forum asking what could be triggering an engine light. The more I see the less I know lol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There will be no codes for the idle speed, even if it goes over the idle tps range. You can however see the effects using Live Monitoring or the 60sec history. I took some screen shots tonight for my own topic, so maybe later tonight or tomorrow I will post.

I was hoping to post cold vs warm idle, but I have another problem to address. The sled idled for 1 min before it went blah lol. I'm not sure how anyone troubleshoots an SDI without good equipment. Heck I have trouble with the right equipment lol.

If you would see me work on this stuff you would go nuts!!!!

Huh? Why it doing this? I don't get it, makes no sense. Clear the codes and try it again. Same two codes keep returning, why? Something has got to be wrong. Look at what it's reading on the CTS. That don't look right with the coolant starting at ambient temp. Do we have to replace the sensor? The EGTS temp doesn't jive with the ambient temp. Why is that? Voltage is good at idle, but look at it go high as the sled stalls lol

Then I see all the questions on the forum asking what could be triggering an engine light. The more I see the less I know lol.
could that be another with bad regulator, when change mine the idle went up before, the guy who change the regulator i wonder what reading he got, but i think he went for weekend.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I too would like to know what triggers cold and hot idle. My sled used to idle over 2g when cold and down to 1700rpm when warm but now it's always 1500rpm.

I'm 140psi both ccylinder. 18 hours on my fresh rebuild and I repacked and reseal ed my bottom end. Plugs look good,lots of power,about 200k to a tank of fuel. Also when I rev my sled over 3g it comes back down to 2100rpm and hangs there for 5 seconds then drops to 1500rpm and sometimes after running real fast and I come to an idle it'll hang at about 2500rpm for 15 seconds then drop to 1500rpm. But like I said no performance issues what so ever and no lean signs.

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
I too would like to know what triggers cold and hot idle. My sled used to idle over 2g when cold and down to 1700rpm when warm but now it's always 1500rpm.

I'm 140psi both ccylinder. 18 hours on my fresh rebuild and I repacked and reseal ed my bottom end. Plugs look good,lots of power,about 200k to a tank of fuel. Also when I rev my sled over 3g it comes back down to 2100rpm and hangs there for 5 seconds then drops to 1500rpm and sometimes after running real fast and I come to an idle it'll hang at about 2500rpm for 15 seconds then drop to 1500rpm. But like I said no performance issues what so ever and no lean signs.
Now we are getting to the meat of this problem.

What triggers the change between cold and warm idle it is the Coolant Temperature Sensor.

There is no other sensor that does this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also just had my injectors cleaned 200km ago which seemed to make it idle smoother. Throttle body is clean, cables move freely.

Note. I have a resistor instead of ex. Temp sensor. I swapped in my buddies sensor and it made no difference.

Second note. I just gased up and for 130km I rode today I used 16.5 liters of fuel which equates to 315km to a full tank to empty which is 40 liters. And yes I always burp it at the pump

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
I've seen resistors in place of EGTS not work for unknown reason. Just something to keep in mind.

I was unable to give you good reference for the cold vs warm idle since the sled would cough and idle low after 30sec or so. So far the problem appears to be sensor related since the ECM readings and ambient temps don't match at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Daag I have check all my sensors and they check out ok. My sled runs great once its warmed up no bog and pulls hard. It runs ok on cold start even with low idle speed but I would like a higher idle speed at cold start . I have turned up the idle speed and idle around 2000 rpm warm to offset low idle when cold.It looks like I am not the only one with this issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is it just coolant temp sensor?

What does the cool y temp sensor say vs what the ambient temp is?

Those 2 sensors are gonna input the ecm and work together no?

In a car a bad ects will read minus 40 celcius.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts