Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 600 ho renegade and haven't fouled a single plug but my 05 sdi renegade fouls a plug or 2 everytime I start it when it is cold whether it has been inside a heated garage or outside in the cold.....it is getting expensive at 8.43 per plug....any ideas???? my dealer says to try BR9EYA plugs anyone else out there with similar problems

·
Registered
862 Posts
yasrx said:
I have an 04 600 ho renegade and haven't fouled a single plug but my 05 sdi renegade fouls a plug or 2 everytime I start it when it is cold whether it has been inside a heated garage or outside in the cold.....it is getting expensive at 8.43 per plug....any ideas???? my dealer says to try BR9EYA plugs anyone else out there with similar problems
[snapback]257577[/snapback]​
have you had the new update done on it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adirondack said:
yasrx said:
have you had the new update done on it?
[snapback]257579[/snapback]​
what update ??????

·
Registered
862 Posts
This one:

Date: October 27, 2004

600 HO SDI Recalibration Update #2005-3.

Fouling plugs ??? Had yours done yet ???
................................................................................................................
Models effected:

2004 - All 600 HO SDI - All models - All serial numbers
2005 - MXZ 600 HO SDI Renegade - Model #'s 000BXA00 & 000BX5B00
................................................................................................................
Problem:

In some cases spark plug fouling may be observed during warm up.

During rapid acceleration or loss of traction, especially when
engine is cold, engine surging may be observed at high RPM.
.................................................................................................................
Solution: Update calibration parameter in the vehicle ECM.

This new calibration will:

*Reduce the possibility of spark plug fouling.

*Provide more constant performance in altitude.

*Maintain a more consistent tuned pipe heat to reduce surging.

*Reduce backfire on deceleration.

*Improve knock sensor sensitivity for long term reliabilty.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
also !
Make sure your using the right plug in the Sdi,chk the post down aways in this forum or chk the BRP corner !There are 2 ngkbr9ecs plugs one with a .018 gap and.031 gap.

Rich

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using the wide gap ecs which is supposedly the correct one....031"...sounds like I have to get the update 2005-3 for the box

·
Registered
245 Posts
When you first start it - DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE! Let it idle for at least a minute, and don't touch the throttle until you're ready to ride. If it sounds like it's going to stall, let it stall. It will start right back up. DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE!

Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i HAVEN'T TOUCHED THE THROTTLE..IT FOULS THEM INSTANTLY BUT WILL IDLE ON 1 PLUG BARELY....i AM FAMILIAR WITH HOW THE SDI WORKS BUT AM GETTING FRUSTRATED WITH IT...

·
Registered
535 Posts
when and if you get the update get rid of the ngk's they are junk went with champion power sport plugs in my 05 sdi and never have had a fouled plug yet the ngk's that came with the sled fouled after a half mile

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
If you aren't sure if you had the update, then just simply pull a plug after you have it warmed up and riden awhile. My plugs BEFORE the update were dripping wet and BLACK. AFTER the update they are barely tan, they have them running on the Ragged-edge, thats why they gained a bunch of power and crispness!
It was incredible how much this update finally did, because last years updates were all a JOKE!
Get this one done!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Deadman said:
If you aren't sure if you had the update, then just simply pull a plug after you have it warmed up and riden awhile. My plugs BEFORE the update were dripping wet and BLACK. AFTER the update they are barely tan, they have them running on the Ragged-edge, thats why they gained a bunch of power and crispness!
It was incredible how much this update finally did, because last years updates were all a JOKE!
Get this one done!

[snapback]258038[/snapback]​
I got the update done and it runs like a top....17.3 mpg and getting better....I think I will be all set now

·
Registered
724 Posts
so how long will this take, can I simply run into a full service dealer and have the update done (if they aren't busy) within 15 min. or so? I picked my sled up in late OCT. and was told that all the updates were done, can they check the computer log on the sled to determine what's been done and what hasn't?

My sled ran great outta the box for the first 300mi. then I started to notice a few things...

I have the backfire issue on deceleration
only fouled 2 plugs in 740 mi. (at cold start, I assume it was due to a low battery)
runs a little rich, plugs are black and wet sometimes

I cleaned my RAVE valves this past weekend and they were carboned up pretty good...

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
tryn2befree said:
so how long will this take, can I simply run into a full service dealer and have the update done (if they aren't busy) within 15 min. or so? I picked my sled up in late OCT. and was told that all the updates were done, can they check the computer log on the sled to determine what's been done and what hasn't?

My sled ran great outta the box for the first 300mi. then I started to notice a few things...

I have the backfire issue on deceleration
only fouled 2 plugs in 740 mi. (at cold start, I assume it was due to a low battery)
runs a little rich, plugs are black and wet sometimes

I cleaned my RAVE valves this past weekend and they were carboned up pretty good...
[snapback]296917[/snapback]​
You probably have the 2005-3 done then. What oil are you using, cause thats not very many miles for much carbon build up, ? the 2005-8 is just a manual adjustment. that you could probably do yourself..DOO a search on it and you will find the exact instructions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is what I would do, it will only take the dealer about 1/2 hour to do all the work, it's just getting them to do it.

1. Have them check and see if the new update is in it from the fall of 2004, many 2005 sleds did not come with it. They have to connect it to the computer to tell.

2. Have them check the tps (Throttle Position Sensor) this is done while connected to the computer and only takes a second.

3. Have them bump the timing thru the computer a degree or two, this will also help. This to is also done thru the computer.

4. Have them check the oil pump setting, only takes a second to check, and a minute to adjust.

I have always run the NGK BR9ECS plugs with very little problems. Only plugs fouled were last year before update and this year when machine was almost out of fuel, while loading on truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yasrx said:
I have a 2004 MX Z w/600SDI. The first 500 miles were fine then then engine started to backfire and foul plugs. The dealer has done all the latest upgrades and changed a defective temperature sensor. The engine will not idle just after starting without adding some throttle. The owners manuel says do not touch the throttle for five minutes while the engine is warming up. My engine will not run if I do not add throttle. The dealer also has three new sleds with the same problems and will not sell these sleds. He has contacted Ski-Doo and the company finally has admitted there is a problem with poor idle, backfiring and fouling plugs, but they have no fix yet. Apparently there are a lot of us waiting for Ski-Doo to fix these problems. Ski-Doo told the dealer to switch to BR9EYA plugs and will replace all fouled plugs at no cost to me until Ski-Doo has a fix.

Sails

1 - 17 of 17 Posts