Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well, I have finally cured my sled of that annoying engine cut out when hitting bumps. It turns out, on my sled anyways, that the right hand relay cannot stay connected while hitting bumps and the engine shuts off for a moment. I went and bought an aftermarket relay, bosch, it was no different. So I took and jumped the wires ( 30 & 87 ), runs spot on all the time. Only problem is that I have to open the hood and take the cover off and unplug the wire in order to disconnect the power, otherwise the dash stays on. That part is annoying but not nearly as much as the cut out. Only have to do that if I've leaving the sled sit for a long time anyways. I hope I can figure out a way to not have to do this without adding anything to the sled or altering it much in any way.
This was the only thing holding me back from another sdi and from saying that this is the best, most fun sled I have ever owned. Now I can say it.

This is the best, most fun sled I have ever owned !

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red Gader said:
Thanx for the post WOT. I'll have to check that out.

[snapback]735616[/snapback]​
One other thing I was thinking of adding was a second spring on the pipe, about the middle of the pipe, to hold it down harder. I'm sure yours is the same, the sheild around the pipe has dents in it from bouncing upwards and hiting the bottom of the screw on the the bracket the engine module and fuses are on, also back a bit further, the pipe and shield hit the frame cross piece. I was thinking that maybe when you hit a bump and the pipe hits the bracket/screw, it's enough of an impact that the coil inside the relay can't keep the switch connected.

·
Registered
253 Posts
WOT said:
Red Gader said:
Thanx for the post WOT. I'll have to check that out.

[snapback]735616[/snapback]​
One other thing I was thinking of adding was a second spring on the pipe, about the middle of the pipe, to hold it down harder. I'm sure yours is the same, the sheild around the pipe has dents in it from bouncing upwards and hiting the bottom of the screw on the the bracket the engine module and fuses are on, also back a bit further, the pipe and shield hit the frame cross piece. I was thinking that maybe when you hit a bump and the pipe hits the bracket/screw, it's enough of an impact that the coil inside the relay can't keep the switch connected.
[snapback]735664[/snapback]​
put it on a switch

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Are you sure the 12v that holds the relay closed is not being lost when you hit a bump?
bad connection or broken wire????

Rich

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I have posted that problem several times in other posts... glad you found it too!

I replaced the replay with an OEM part and the problem went away...

Mine was not a loose wire but rather a weak coil...

And I think the coil speced in the relay is the long term problem. It is "just" strong enough when it is new to hold the contacts properly, even in the rough stuff... but after some use and it weakens slighlty you will see the problem. If you're not a high speed bump rider you will probably never even notice!

to test, run the sled and tap the relay with a screw driver, when it is weak a moderate tap will casue the sled to cut out, then come right back on...

cannot remember which relay but in the late model SDIs there are three in the 04 sdi's there is just one they are in the fuse box not on the frame like non sdi sleds-

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
viper ,did you read his post .He tried a new bosch relay same design still had the problem.
I would chk the 12v source or a gnd.

Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
its sounds like the same trouble ive been havin,brp gave me the new fuel double pickup in the tank,didnt help . its no nice how ski-doo backs themselves up saying like im the first with this problem. so do you guys have any ideas,should i try another after market relay or try to hard wire it so it cant go away from current. my renegade is a 2005 sdi 600 late model buit in oct of 05,so it must have the 3 relays in it,so which one is the one that causes this cut out? well thanks for your work on this ,this will really help me fix this problem because my dealer and brp are either puzzled or dont dont give a you know what, and i really do like ridin this sled,and i hope brp would take a stand on these things and fix them instead of putin there tail between there legs and hide from problems,i guess they just want us to trade for the other brands! gade doo man

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GSX800HO said:
viper ,did you read his post .He tried a new bosch relay same design still had the problem.
I would chk the 12v source or a gnd.

Rich
[snapback]736452[/snapback]​
I had thought about that too, an intermitten power loss or ground loss on the coil circuit, I shook the wires while having the multimeter hooked up, seemed ok, but pretty hard to compare that to riding down the trail. So we tried the jumper wire on another 06 SDI and it fixed it too. You need to jump the middle two terminals, the front & back, not right & left, which are the 30 terminal ( live side ) and 87 terminal on the relay.

Viper, maybe I got a cheap relay, but it was 15 bucks and a bosch. Maybe there is a better brand ?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know about 05's, but 06's only have two relays, one on the left and one on the right. It is the one on the right ( sitting on the sled looking forward ). You can find yours by unplugging them one at a time and see which one cuts all the power for the dash, starting, etc. Or, so says viper, by tapping on the relays and you should see one cut the engine out, of course it needs to be running to do this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
WOT said:
[snapback]735664[/snapback]​
I noticed the dents in my pipe shield too, I added a second spring and that took cart of it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Can you post a picture. I looked at 1 today an 05 SDI and it has 2 relays . 1 was labeled "load" and I think the other was "run". Which relay and which terms?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts