Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going with a new camso 1.5" storm track next year. Has anyone used the INS Icemaster screw in studs. They look like they will work very well. Less weight, 3/8" penetration screwed into lugs on track. The storm track is two ply which I like as opposed to the ice storm prestudded track which is a single ply.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What don't you like about the single ply track? Pretty hard to say that the durability is an issue with them, especially if you aren't going to use conventional studs.

The prestudded ice ripper tracks have been, hands down, the most durable tracks I've seen to date (and I know a ton of guys with them, and have had a bunch of them myself). I haven't had an ice storm yet, but it looks to have very similar construction to the ice rippers.

I would feel WAY more comfortable with the ice storm prestudded then I would feel about adding screw in studs to the regular storm track from a durability standpoint. I don't really follow your logic on that one I guess.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My gut quick answer is "NOPE" to screw in studs. For slow moving tires or tracks great but for high speed stuff I would stay away from them.

I have no experience with them and I have not heard anything positive or negative about them.

Reactions: FrozenTows

·
Registered
792 Posts
My gut quick answer is "NOPE" to screw in studs. For slow moving tires or tracks great but for high speed stuff I would stay away from them.

I have no experience with them and I have not heard anything positive or negative about them.
U haven't heard anything positive or negative about them but still have advice? Lol
Here's my experience, 2200 miles and not one worn nor bent/broken screw. Granted the studs protrude over them so they are never in contact with pavement when road crossing etc..
120 screws with 114 1.62 Studboy and this track hooks, my favorite setup yet.
The 120 screws are equal in weight to 9 studs. So I have 230+ pieces of metal hooking on the hard stuff. Everyone doubted me, but I will do it again and again
83c4f059c8015b34a27c9120a84468e0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Check out the fella that did 21,000mi. this year with an ice ripper 1.25. No problems and says track looks fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've put 8000+ miles on them myself and never had an issue with one. Like I said, the ice ripper track has been the most durable track I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have heard of guys throwing cold cutters/ice screws thru their coolers. I havnt ever ran them in a sled, but wouldnt want to risk it myself. I have ran them in lots of dirt bike and atv tires and they work great but i have always had them pull/throw out. Normally have about half of what ya originally install left at the end of season. Wouldnt want to risk it on a g4 tunnel/cooler..

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd check out iGrip out of Canada. They have a series of screw in studs made for snowmobile tracks. I put an Ice Storm single ply on my 850 this season and put iGrips down the outer 1.25" edges. Those studs are not backing out of you put them in right.

I locked a few down in my vice and tried to break them. The threaded part of the screw bends before the tips break off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Reactions: Ed Hochuli

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I was not sure about screw in studs but my buddy installed some this season. It was in a backcountry track at all the thickest points . I think he ended up with 160 or 170 and they have been stellar. Nobody is harder on a sled so it is s good testament to the screw in studs. Personally I like studs but if you want something less aggressive this is a good option for people.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Igrip studs are the best trail studs period...never going back to push through studs..never drilling a hole through a track again...no more worn boggie wheels...1/20th less weight than push through studs....less rotating mass...I put over 7000 miles on my last set of igrip studs and they still looked great...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I put 200 IGrip screw in studs on my 600R this year. 1500kms on them and still look like new and work great. Will never go back to traditional studs.

Reactions: HemiChallenger

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wonder what they use in the factory ice tracks? I am thinking of using the igrips in a ripsaw. I also have an ice ripper on a 850 and really like that track and have had no problems with it.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ed - how come ya added the traditional studs too? Needed more grip? Those are holding up well in the hurincane eh?

As for the Igrip studs - no one is gluing them? The instructions say you don't have to but Bergstrum recommended you do for his design. I can't see it hurting?

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,082 Posts
U haven't heard anything positive or negative about them but still have advice? Lol
Here's my experience, 2200 miles and not one worn nor bent/broken screw. Granted the studs protrude over them so they are never in contact with pavement when road crossing etc..
120 screws with 114 1.62 Studboy and this track hooks, my favorite setup yet.
The 120 screws are equal in weight to 9 studs. So I have 230+ pieces of metal hooking on the hard stuff. Everyone doubted me, but I will do it again and again
83c4f059c8015b34a27c9120a84468e0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Why?

·
Banshee Builder
2022 backcountryXRS // 2019 BC 850- 16,238miles traded
8,564 Posts
holy studs!! :eek:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ed - how come ya added the traditional studs too? Needed more grip? Those are holding up well in the hurincane eh?

As for the Igrip studs - no one is gluing them? The instructions say you don't have to but Bergstrum recommended you do for his design. I can't see it hurting?
Studs were first in my Storm, added the screws after, look great still.
As far as my hurricane they are holding up great after 1600 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts