Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a '15 XS with the gloss black side panels. There are some light surface scratches in the panels that look like hell on black. It was recommended on here to use Meguiars Scracth X 2.0. I picked up a bottle of it and I started using it with a cloth by hand on a small spot. Under light at a certain angle it looks like it may have dulled up the paint a bit, so I'm afraid to go any further with it. Has anyone else used this product and have any recommendations on how to continue? Should I be using a powerball or I should I not be using this product at all? Any help is appreciated, I'd rather not have to buy those glossy pieces for both panels. The ski-doo website has them for $144.99 a piece without decals :eek:hmy_old:.

I'm half tempted to go with the XM panels if they fit since there is no gloss on the panels and I think it would go better with the matte black XRS hood anyways.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Seek professional help. ;)

A sled never ridden, will always be shinny and new.

Your looking too much at it. If it is a deal breaker when you sell the sled, replace the panel or sticker.

Everyone side panels get scuffed.

Wax, detailing spray, wd40?

Turn off the garage lights?

Black sleds look better in the shade. GV 1985

Reactions: DTXRSB and Spatzboy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Meguiars PlastX

I've used this on windscreens to remove branch scratches along with the shiny hoods and around the tank filler.

Go to the Chinese tool store(Harbor Freight) and get yourself a buffer/polisher and some polishing pads it will be a lot easier and do a better job.

If you plan on keeping that black shiny sled it may be worth investing in a good buffer/polisher like a porter cable http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

I use mine on everything sled, boat and cars.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm going to pick up some PlastX and a powerball and look around for some other possible products. I forgot that I have an old black XP hood lying around that should be the same type of finish that I can use as a guinea pig before attempting anything more on my current sled.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I've got a very good friend who you sound just like. Not to be a wise ass but I will tell you what I tell him.....ITS A SNOWMOBILE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've got a very good friend who you sound just like. Not to be a wise "edit for bad language" but I will tell you what I tell him.....ITS A SNOWMOBILE!!!!!!!!
This is true but there's nothing wrong with the guy trying to keep his $13,000 investment looking good.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to pick up some PlastX and a powerball and look around for some other possible products. I forgot that I have an old black XP hood lying around that should be the same type of finish that I can use as a guinea pig before attempting anything more on my current sled.
I don't think you will get the results you're looking for with a power ball.

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts
Xymol. Its a wax. Will clean up panels very well.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
Let it get some scars. Makes for good stories. Then wrap it before you sell.

Just kidding... I'm OCD AS HILL.
I dread the first scratch on the XRS.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Great job !

Now go out, getem scratched up.

D00 it again.

Rinse, repeat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts